5/25 1:10 Tigers @ Twins

Tigeraholic1

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Zombie runner is the right term. Ghost runner is not.

The official term is Extra Inning Placed Runner (XIPR pronouncer zipper). Whatever you want to call it, I don't watch innings involving free runners.  It's not baseball.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

The official term is Extra Inning Placed Runner (XIPR pronouncer zipper). Whatever you want to call it, I don't watch innings involving free runners.  It's not baseball.  

In the end, it didn't even matter. Candy's homer would have given us a 1 run win, since our BP was shutting down the Twins.

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Gotta say, broadcasting wise, if Scott Braun and Carlos Pena are looking for affiliate jobs, they'd be more than welcome to come work for Bally Sports Detroit lol

My biggest problem with Matt and Jack as a team is:

• Matt doesn't know what a home run looks like (and the lack of them is really making this problem worse)
  • Jack.

I don't mind healthy Gibby.  His sardonic delivery sort of works for me.   I like Craig a lot. 

Dan Petry should do more game color.   

Do we have any other 2006 era Tigers who could be on screen/radio?  

Is it time to rethink how Replay works? I mean on the replay it seems pretty clear that Hill was save.  I think you probably could make the argument that the evidence isn't 100% conclusive, only like 90% conclusive.  And (I think) the rule or guideline being that it has to be clear evidence that the call is wrong to overturn it... then it's probably the right call to say that the evidence is at least semi-questionable so stay with the call on the field.

But here's the problem: Who has a better view of the call?  Multiple camera angles that can be zoomed in and slowed down?  Or one umpire who's got one view at real time while being tripped up by the runner?

I think the idea that we assume the call on the field is correct unless we have iron clad proof that it's not is the wrong direction to take these days.  We have better and better cameras, we have multiple angle, we have access to quick replay.  I think it's time to say that if a call is challenged that the replay reviewers assume nothing.  They judge the play purely on what they see.  In the unlikely event that the replay people really can't decide THEN go with the call on the field.  But when the point of replay is to get the call right, let's get it right.

Right now replay review feels like a criminal case: there has to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt to overturn. I say it needs to be a civil case: Whatever the preponderance of evidence supports is the call that should be made.

13 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Gotta say, broadcasting wise, if Scott Braun and Carlos Pena are looking for affiliate jobs, they'd be more than welcome to come work for Bally Sports Detroit lol

Fine by me. The Tigers could get Billy Ripken and Herschel Walker to do the games if they want, and as long as I can layer Dan Dickerson on top of the video, it’s gonna be all right.

One of the things I liked about the radio broadcast yesterday is that whenever Craig Monroe trotted out his jock talk crutches—“he’s a professional hitter”, “he just knows how to win”, “he gives 110%”, etc.—Dan would respond with silence.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

One of the things I liked about the radio broadcast yesterday is that whenever Craig Monroe trotted out his jock talk crutches—“he’s a professional hitter”, “he just knows how to win”, “he gives 110%”, etc.—Dan would respond with silence.

Which Tiger did he think is a professional hitter who knows how to win?  

Edited by Tiger337

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Which Tiger did he think is a professional who knows how to win?  

These are sample jock talk statements. I can't remember exactly what he'd said but they  ere statements along those lines.

Dan also responded with silence when, with a 3-0 count on Eric Haase with one out in the ninth, C-Mo said something like, "Would I give him the green light on 3-0 here? You bet I totally would" in a heh-heh-heh-type voice, sorta like, yeah, E-money, you a playa, kick it. We can't see Dan's eyes during the broadcast, of course, but they might have rolled just a little after that one.

Edited by chasfh

53 minutes ago, chasfh said:

These are sample jock talk statements. I can't remember exactly what he'd said but they  ere statements along those lines.

Dan also responded with silence when, with a 3-0 count on Eric Haase with one out in the ninth, C-Mo said something like, "Would I give him the green light on 3-0 here? You bet I totally would"...

Sweet Jeebus

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Doesn't he say stuff like that on the TV broadcast when he's doing color there? I'd be really surprised if he doesn't.

Probably, I've been listening more to DD and/or opponent announcers this season so maybe I've missed some other hot takes lol