5/26 7:10 Guardians @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

3 hours ago, casimir said:

If the plan is to tank, which causes the MLB team to suffer, and draft high, which should eventually create enough talent to pull the team out of the basement, by all means, they better hit on the draft picks.

When you put it like this, it really does highlight the utter stupidity of the Tigers' tanking strategy.

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

Well, what exactly do we mean as serviceable? Is it a 3rd starter, or a BOR guy? Is it a 1.5-2 WAR, or a 2.5-3 WAR guy?

I think of serviceable as below average, but useful.  2 WAR is average, so maybe 1.5-2.0 WAR.   

4 hours ago, casimir said:

You don't that occurred during the Gardenhire years?

No I don't think they lost on purpose for draft picks, I think that they hoped to compete while having a lower payroll and a more "sustainable" approach to development.  Gardenhire was compared by some to Ralph Houk, a steadying influence while younger players were being incorporated.   It failed miserably.  But there was never a player out there to tank for, there was no Bryce Harper.  They did not tank.

39 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think of serviceable as below average, but useful.  2 WAR is average, so maybe 1.5-2.0 WAR.   

All of these guys, Mize and Manning, could still be 1.5-2.0 WAR guys when it is all said and done... 

We live in the here and now when we assess these guys. Faedo is a great example... people kinda wrote him off, now he has people reconsidering 

Edited by mtutiger

On 5/27/2022 at 7:14 PM, Jim Cowan said:

No I don't think they lost on purpose for draft picks, I think that they hoped to compete while having a lower payroll and a more "sustainable" approach to development.  Gardenhire was compared by some to Ralph Houk, a steadying influence while younger players were being incorporated.   It failed miserably.  But there was never a player out there to tank for, there was no Bryce Harper.  They did not tank.

I agree that there wasn’t a player to tank for, save for maybe Kumar Rocker the year before he was actually drafted.

The other thing to keep in mind about drafting higher is the draft slots that come with it.  While there might not have been a Bryce Harper, there was the bigger chunk of change that came along with the privilege of picking before everyone else.