Tarik Skubal is looking good on all the fancy FanGraphs numbers:

Fangraphs Ranks:

WAR 2

xERA 3

FIP 2

K-BB% 9

SIERA 7

ERA 12

He's even top 20 on RA9-WAR, which is results-based and doesn't adjust for BABIP or LOB%. In other words, as good as his results have been, he's actually been a little unlucky. Speaking of luck: Justin Verlander has a 2.8 RA9-WAR with a 1.5 WAR. Two reasons: (1) .195 BABIP; (2) 95.7% strand rate.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Tarik Skubal is looking good on all the fancy FanGraphs numbers:

Fangraphs Ranks:

WAR 2

xERA 3

FIP 2

K-BB% 9

SIERA 7

ERA 12

It would be nice if we got atleast one ace out of our "big 3". I suppose realistically 1 out of 3 was probably the best we could've hoped for. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It would be nice if we got atleast one ace out of our "big 3". I suppose realistically 1 out of 3 was probably the best we could've hoped for. 

I think you still have a better than even money chance of getting three solid starters out of Skubal, Turnbull, Faedo, Mize, and Manning.

The more frightening thing with regard to baseball in general is that Faedo, Skubal and Turnbull have all had TJ and Mize already has UCL issues. That's an 80% rate on a single injury class. If OSHA regulated baseball, pitching would be banned.

Edited by gehringer_2

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/sports/detroit-tigers/a-j-hinch-committed-to-detroit-i-love-being-a-tiger

On if he's worried about Javier Baez's slump: "No, because his track record has shown he’s snapped out of it every time. He’s started to hit the ball a little bit harder. But we’ve gotta get him in the strike zone and he’s gotta commit to a little more refined approach. He did draw a walk yesterday, which is a good sign. But it can be a little frustrating from the standpoint of, we all want him to be the productive guy that he’s been. He’s going to be that guy. He’s proved it over time. But as he’s tried to do more, he’s actually done less.

"I think if we can relieve some pressure off him and get some other guys going, you’ll find that he can pick it up more. The more he tries to carry this team, the more outside the strike zone he’s gone, and that’s not productive."

Edited by kdog

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think you still have a better than even money chance of getting three solid starters out of Skubal, Turnbull, Faedo, Mize, and Manning.

The more frightening thing with regard to baseball in general is that Faedo, Skubal and Turnbull have all had TJ and Mize already has UCL issues. That's an 80% rate on a single injury class. If OSHA regulated baseball, pitching would be banned.

I think getting three solid strters would be a great outcome.  It's possible, but I am less optimistic than you about the odds.     

I remember when we first drafted Porcello there were talks we be the modern day Braves with him JV, Bonderman and Miller. We got one ace out of the 4, one servicable starter in Rick, a stud reliever(well not us but you get the picture) and a flame out. If we could get something similar out of our top 4 now that wouldn't be the worst thing. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember when we first drafted Porcello there were talks we be the modern day Braves with him JV, Bonderman and Miller. We got one ace out of the 4, one servicable starter in Rick, a stud reliever(well not us but you get the picture) and a flame out. If we could get something similar out of our top 4 now that wouldn't be the worst thing. 

This is kinda where I'm at.

I have a lot of concerns about Mize, but if Skubal remains a stud and Manning/Faedo are serviceable, that's a fine result.

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is kinda where I'm at.

I have a lot of concerns about Mize, but if Skubal remains a stud and Manning/Faedo are serviceable, that's a fine result.

So the 9th rounder is a diamond in the rough, and the 1st rounders are serviceable?  Unacceptable.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

So the 9th rounder is a diamond in the rough, and the 1st rounders are serviceable?  Unacceptable.

The status as a first rounder is something people get really hung up on... particularly with Mize. And I get it, with the higher selection comes higher expectations.

But in the alternate world where Mize or Faedo or Manning are studs and the others are serviceable, is the end result any different?

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

The status as a first rounder is something people get really hung up on... particularly with Mize. And I get it, with the higher selection comes higher expectations.

But in the alternate world where Mize or Faedo or Manning are studs and the others are serviceable, is the end result any different?

In that instance it would seem the 1sts are fails and the 9th is luck.  A team cannot tank then swing & miss on 1sts.  They simply can't.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

In that instance it would seem the 1sts are fails and the 9th is luck.  

I'd be curious to hear G2 or Lee's thoughts, but I'm not sure that I agree with the standard that all #1 draft picks who aren't bona fide studs are failures. Particularly with the fact that there's a not insignificant amount of first round picks who don't even make the big leagues.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

In that instance it would seem the 1sts are fails and the 9th is luck.  A team cannot tank then swing & miss on 1sts.  They simply can't.

Well if Greene and Tork end up being stars I think that would offset the potential busts of Manning and Mize.  That would essentially be about a 50% hit rate on your top 10 picks(not counting jobe) which I would imagine is about the best you could realistically hope for. 

Also in regards to Mize, the team can only draft the players that are available and looking at the first 10 picks in that draft and none of them have amounted to anything as of yet.

India was good last year but has been below replacement level this year, Bohm and Kelenic have been busts at the mlb level, Madigral has already been traded and appears to have a limited ceiling. Bart has a small big league sample but in it he has been terrible. 

So really if all the options end up being terrible can you really fault the Tigers if their draft pick doesn't pan out?

why are we even considering that either Mize or Manning might be a bust?  players get injured and often come back and can be productive.  Even if either requires a significant surgery, it's not a death sentence for their career.  Sure, it would be a setback and defer their contributions, but until we learn that they can't be productive contributors to a winning team, I'd encourage some healthy cautious optimism.

Meadows is the one I'm concerned with--I really hope whatever he's going through is temporary.  I was excited about adding him to the roster for at least the next couple of seasons.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Madigral has already been traded and appears to have a limited ceiling. Bart has a small big league sample but in it he has been terrible. 

Madrigal was looking like a pretty good pro but has suffered a very serious injury for a ball player. That's one I would chalk up to bad luck. People have argued the Tigers could/should have foreseen Mize's arm trouble, that is at least an arguable proposition, but nobody foresees a guy completely blowing up his hammy.