Keuchel4Cheap?

Whatever happened to, "you can never have enough pitching"?  Keuchel will clear waivers and the Tigers will only be on the hook for the minimum salary.  This is a lost season.  There is literally no risk involved.  I would hate to see our young pitching staff overworked because, "Keuchel wouldn't be any better."  While this statement is true, we still need to have 5 starters in our rotation.  Right now they only have 4 with the imposter Rony Garcia as the 5th.  

If not Keuchel, then the Tigers need to get someone.  You can never have enough pitching.  

19 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Whatever happened to, "you can never have enough pitching"?  Keuchel will clear waivers and the Tigers will only be on the hook for the minimum salary.  This is a lost season.  There is literally no risk involved.  I would hate to see our young pitching staff overworked because, "Keuchel wouldn't be any better."  While this statement is true, we still need to have 5 starters in our rotation.  Right now they only have 4 with the imposter Rony Garcia as the 5th.  

If not Keuchel, then the Tigers need to get someone.  You can never have enough pitching.  

the guys the tigers have in triple a right now will be as good as keuchel.

sign keuchel to a minor league deal and let him prove himself again.  i wouldnt sign him to a major league deal.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

the guys the tigers have in triple a right now will be as good as keuchel.

sign keuchel to a minor league deal and let him prove himself again.  i wouldnt sign him to a major league deal.

Keuchel is already signed to a Major League deal.  He gets paid no matter what.  No on is going to give more than minimum wage.  He likely will have to pitch in AAA if he wants to get back to the Majors.

35 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Keuchel is already signed to a Major League deal.  He gets paid no matter what.  No on is going to give more than minimum wage.  He likely will have to pitch in AAA if he wants to get back to the Majors.

whatever the machinations of it, he doesnt belong on a major league roster.  not even this train wreck of a major league roster.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:33 PM, Useful Idiot said:

As Randy Marsh pointed out in the game day thread, The White Sox have DFA'ed Dallas Keuchel, and as bad as he has been lately, I still think we should make a "high potential upside" gamble on him.  As depleted as our pitching corps are, and the season seemingly in the toilet, I don't see much down side.

Who knows? Give him a fresh start, new playground, a few favorable matchups,  and  if the stars line up trade him at the deadline for cheap and controllable prospects

Get 'er done, big Al !!

We should definitely DFA Javy Baez and sign Dallas Keuchel to play shortstop.

47 minutes ago, buddha said:

whatever the machinations of it, he doesnt belong on a major league roster.  not even this train wreck of a major league roster.

It's sort of a different variation of the "Tigers should trade for Frankie Montas" thing that comes up occasionally around here....

The pitching, even with all the injuries, isn't what is responsible for this record. And for all the injuries to the rotation, it's not like they are wearing out the bullpen... they've had one scheduled BP day so far this year and you can go days at a time without seeing any of the guys in the pen at the moment, except for maybe Lange or Chafin.

Just ride with what you have, plug Alexander, Pineda, etc. in when they come back. It isn't that hard.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's sort of a different variation of the "Tigers should trade for Frankie Montas" thing that comes up occasionally around here....

The pitching, even with all the injuries, isn't what is responsible for this record. And for all the injuries to the rotation, it's not like they are wearing out the bullpen... they've had one scheduled BP day so far this year and you can go days at a time without seeing any of the guys in the pen at the moment, except for maybe Lange or Chafin.

Just ride with what you have, plug Alexander, Pineda, etc. in when they come back. It isn't that hard.

Bingo!

My thought process is yeah we have guys in the minors that may very well give you the same production that Kuechel would but why rush them or throw them into the fire if you can get somebody like Keuchel to pitch for the same price that may provide atleast some sorta upside?  

Of course my thought process is under the assumption that Fetter/AJ think there is something that can be salvaged with him, if they believe he is toast then yeah no point on wasting your time with him.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

My thought process is yeah we have guys in the minors that may very well give you the same production that Kuechel would but why rush them or throw them into the fire if you can get somebody like Keuchel to pitch for the same price that may provide atleast some sorta upside?  

Of course my thought process is under the assumption that Fetter/AJ think there is something that can be salvaged with him, if they believe he is toast then yeah no point on wasting your time with him.

Their worst starter went today and gave up 4 runs in close to 6 innings, and they are gonna get Alexander back in a week or so. Pineda back in 4 weeks or so.

I guess I can see it with a minor league contract and no expectations, but as far as need, they dont need Dallas Keuchel 

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Their worst starter went today and gave up 4 runs in close to 6 innings, and they are gonna get Alexander back in a week or so. Pineda back in 4 weeks or so.

I guess I can see it with a minor league contract and no expectations, but as far as need, they dont need Dallas Keuchel 

Honest question: can you sign a guy who is currently on a major league contract to a minor league contract? Without googling even once, I’m guessing you can’t. The major league contract is still force because they’re still paying him. A new team would take on the major league contract and pay him the minimum, but can they then stash him in the minors until needed? Minor league options don’t apply to a six-plus-year guy, do they?

• Thanks 1

Diving into his splits deeper and I think G2 may be onto something with him and spider tack. The ban started 6/21 last year and he was solid up until his start on 6/20 where he looked like crap. Even though the ban didn't start till the following day it's not unreasonable to think that he pitched that game clean just cause more eyes were starting to be on guys and to prepare for the ban. From that point forward he sucked for the rest of 2021 and sucked this year. So he was one of the better pitchers in baseball in 2020, was off to a good enough start in 2021 then he falls apart from mid June on.

His breakdown timeline almost completely coincides with the spider tack ban. It could possibly just be a coincidence but considering he wasn't an overpowering guy to begin with he seems like the type of pitcher that would benefit more from spider tack then others so it being a coincidence seems unlikely to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

You can also definitely make a strategic blunder by concentrating on building and perfecting your pitching while letting the hitting chips fall wherever. 

true.

even worse is when you think you've drafted good hitting prospects and they end up being rey rivera.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

We should definitely DFA Javy Baez and sign Dallas Keuchel to play shortstop.

Well, that just the thing. Historically this organization has shown reluctance to cut large contracts irrespective of low  performance level. No matter how bad the shortstop might be, they are gonna keep trotting him out there, for the price they are paying. (Shortstop? I don't need a shortstop, I'm paying a shortstop $20M+/year already,...etc)

But with a retread pitcher at league minimum,  take a shot, gamble on a possible high return, and  cast him to the rocks if it doesn't pan out.

In the chance that it pays off, Keuchell get's good enough to stimulate a deadline trade, we get a couple prospects for $500K

You know how highly this organization values "cheap and controllable".  So ante up $500K and roll the dice!!

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

You can also definitely make a strategic blunder by concentrating on building and perfecting your pitching while letting the hitting chips fall wherever. 

Especially if you start doing it in 1994 and keep doing it for 27 years

• 1 month later...