Keuchel4Cheap?

33 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d probably consider it only to have someone pitch innings besides Harold Castro. I’d prefer that Elvin Rodriguez and Garrett Hill pitch in Toledo this year.

They have about four or five guys that would have been better off pitching in Toledo this year, but what is preferred and what is reality often doesn't mix.

The reality is that Garrett Hill and Elvin Rodriguez are already on the 40 man roster and, to varying degrees, could factor into the future of this ballclub. In order to bring Keuchel on, you have to DFA someone off the 40 man roster.... is it worth giving someone the boot for Keuchel, particularly when you have Manning, Rogers and Turnbull who are on 60 Day IL and will require roster maneuvering if they come back this year.

I just don't see it as being worth it, particularly for a starter carrying a 9 ERA. 

there was no reason to sign keuchel before for all the reasons i said before.  he sucks.

and there is no reason to do so now considering that he sucked even worse once getting picked up by another sucker team.

he's finished.  he can go pitch in the independent league.

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

They have about four or five guys that would have been better off pitching in Toledo this year, but what is preferred and what is reality often doesn't mix.

The reality is that Garrett Hill and Elvin Rodriguez are already on the 40 man roster and, to varying degrees, could factor into the future of this ballclub. In order to bring Keuchel on, you have to DFA someone off the 40 man roster.... is it worth giving someone the boot for Keuchel, particularly when you have Manning, Rogers and Turnbull who are on 60 Day IL and will require roster maneuvering if they come back this year.

I just don't see it as being worth it, particularly for a starter carrying a 9 ERA. 

Yeah, the 40-man roster is real and going to be a challenge moving forward.  

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

If someone is going to get injured for being overworked, I'd rather it be Keuchel than one of our young starters.  If he doesn't get injured, he'll give much needed innings. 

It's a lost season.  Wins don't matter.  I don't care what his ERA is.  Our young players need to stay healthy. 

18 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

If someone is going to get injured for being overworked, I'd rather it be Keuchel than one of our young starters.  If he doesn't get injured, he'll give much needed innings. 

It's a lost season.  Wins don't matter.  I don't care what his ERA is.  Our young players need to stay healthy. 

Who gets DFA'd to make room for Keuchel?

Either way, in the grand scheme of things, we haven't seen much of Hill or ElRod at the major leagues... I'd rather see what they have, or a Joey Wentz whenever he comes back from injury, or even Reese Olson or Wilmer Flores if it gets to that point, versus giving starts to a guy who can't hold down a job pitching for Arizona.

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

De Jesus, Hutchison, or El. Rodriguez. 

Even if there are doubts about De Jesus or ElRod and how capable they may be at the big league level, Keuchel isn't good enough to justify DFA'ing guys who potentially could be future pieces.

DFA'ing Hutchison, who is already filling an innings eater role, for an innings eater who is worse makes little sense as well.

5 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I'd rather have Kuechel. He has a better track record. 

If this is a lost season and the results don't matter, why does it matter whether Keuchel has a better track record? 

Keuchel is 34 and doesn't have a future.... neither are particularly good, but Hutchison is better right now and seems capable of successfully eating more innings for this club than Keuchel does. It seems pointless to DFA him in order to fill the role with a guy who seems less capable for the next few months.

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, buddha said:

there was no reason to sign keuchel before for all the reasons i said before.  he sucks.

and there is no reason to do so now considering that he sucked even worse once getting picked up by another sucker team.

he's finished.  he can go pitch in the independent league.

Sign Rick Porcello.  He's only 33!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

If this is a lost season and the results don't matter, why does it matter whether Keuchel has a better track record? 

Keuchel is 34 and doesn't have a future.... neither are particularly good, but Hutchison is better right now and seems capable of successfully eating more innings for this club than Keuchel does. It seems pointless to DFA him in order to fill the role with a guy who seems less capable for the next few months.

I believe Keuchel can give more innings and given past performances support this. 

I also don't think De Jesus or El. Rodriguez has a future and neither of them have a track record at all.  All 3 can be removed from the 40-man roster. 

There was a lot of discussion around the time Arizona picked him up that it may have been in part because Brent Strom (previous longtime Astros pitching coach) is pitching coach there.

If "Strommy" can't fix Keuchel, he's not likely to be fixed. We all know his pedigree and track record, but fans of the Detroit Tigers (of all teams) should know that track records aren't always predictive of future results.

Edited by mtutiger

48 minutes ago, buddha said:

the sad thing is that they didnt think they were tanking.

they just suck.

That's so true.  Never once have they tanked, if tanking means deliberately assembling a bad team in order to earn a reward such as improved draft position.  They have never done that.  They have simply assembled bad teams, while trying to assemble low-cost teams.  They were never trying to lose.