Keuchel4Cheap?

I understand why people wouldn't want Keuchel.  The drop in production has been stunning if you look at this HR, H, and BB ratios.  He certainly wouldn't be a long term consideration, and wouldn't even be a rehab for trade type of consideration.  I didn't think he was worth pursuing before when Chicago put him on waivers.

However, we're all aware how the Tigers can't keep pitchers healthy lately.  Keuchel could be cheap fodder just to get through the season.  It may come to that.  Do you guys remember Randy Wolf signing with the Tigers out of nowhere?  Maybe Keuchel fills out 50 or so innings for the Tigers. 

At this point its not about covering 1,400 innings for the season.  Its about covering 600 innings to get to the offseason without subjecting some of the young arms to too much of a workload while trying to patch together a pitching rotation that is down to 2 of its primary 5 coming into the season as well as digging deeply into its projected reserves.  Heck, we assume (hope) that Skubal and Pineda remain healthy enough to finish out the season.

G2 first pointed it out then I went and researched it myself and that's Keuchel's decline lines up perfectly with the ban on spider tack. Like the start after they announced they were banning it he got rocked and its basically been that way ever since. Considering the type of pitcher he was who theoretically would benefit from the stuff more than others I don't think that is a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I understand why people wouldn't want Keuchel.  The drop in production has been stunning if you look at this HR, H, and BB ratios.  He certainly wouldn't be a long term consideration, and wouldn't even be a rehab for trade type of consideration.  I didn't think he was worth pursuing before when Chicago put him on waivers.

However, we're all aware how the Tigers can't keep pitchers healthy lately.  Keuchel could be cheap fodder just to get through the season.  It may come to that.  Do you guys remember Randy Wolf signing with the Tigers out of nowhere?  Maybe Keuchel fills out 50 or so innings for the Tigers. 

At this point its not about covering 1,400 innings for the season.  Its about covering 600 innings to get to the offseason without subjecting some of the young arms to too much of a workload while trying to patch together a pitching rotation that is down to 2 of its primary 5 coming into the season as well as digging deeply into its projected reserves.  Heck, we assume (hope) that Skubal and Pineda remain healthy enough to finish out the season.

I'm sure part of the calculation for the team is that Manning and Rony Garcia will end up coming back and covering part of the workload, which added to Skubal, Pineda, Hutch, gives them 5 starters who should have stamina to cover much of the remaining workload (knock on wood). Not counting any contributions that Hill, Brieske, Faedo, or ElRod they get. Or (unlikely) if the other Rod comes back.

Their situation isn't great, but it doesn't warrant wasting a roster spot on Keuchel. TBH, I don't think there's a team in the league that should be desperate enough, he's toast.

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm sure part of the calculation for the team is that Manning and Rony Garcia will end up coming back and covering part of the workload, which added to Skubal, Pineda, Hutch, gives them 5 starters who should have stamina to cover much of the remaining workload (knock on wood). Not counting any contributions that Hill, Brieske, Faedo, or ElRod they get. Or (unlikely) if the other Rod comes back.

Their situation isn't great, but it doesn't warrant wasting a roster spot on Keuchel. TBH, I don't think there's a team in the league that should be desperate enough, he's toast.

Can Rony Garcia really be counted on to get significant innings?  He hasn't been a regular starter since 2019 in AA.  The fact that they were desperate enough to start Garcia shows their lack of depth.  I'm willing to bet the reason he got injured was because they were trying to push him beyond his limits.  

Maybe Keuchel isn't the answer, but I do believe they need some outside help.  

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Can Rony Garcia really be counted on to get significant innings?  He hasn't been a regular starter since 2019 in AA.  The fact that they were desperate enough to start Garcia shows their lack of depth.  I'm willing to bet the reason he got injured was because they were trying to push him beyond his limits.  

I have no reason to believe that, if/when he returns from his injury, the Tigers wouldn't intend to use him as a starter. 

The fact that you have guys like Manning, Garcia, Hill, etc. out there means that there will be some options to pick up innings in the second half of the year. All of whom I'd rather see than Dallas Keuchel.

40 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I have no reason to believe that, if/when he returns from his injury, the Tigers wouldn't intend to use him as a starter. 

The fact that you have guys like Manning, Garcia, Hill, etc. out there means that there will be some options to pick up innings in the second half of the year. All of whom I'd rather see than Dallas Keuchel.

Of course.  And when/if they get healthy that's when you release Keuchel.  He is no way a long-term solution.

6 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I don't know.  Sure he's toast.  But the way this season is going, how many more pitchers will find their way to the 60 day IL?

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know.  Sure he's toast.  But the way this season is going, how many more pitchers will find their way to the 60 day IL?

Easy for me to say, but you can't just bubble wrap your pitchers because a season is lost... they need to find out what they have with Manning, as well as Rony, ElRod and Hill. Or even Turnbull if he gets starts in September, etc. Claiming Keuchel gets in the way of that 

I would add as well that the Tigers let Chase Anderson opt out of his deal with Toledo because he wasn't getting promoted... if this team felt they were in a position to claim Keuchel, they wouldn't have let Anderson walk. Because, like Hutchison, while his track record isn't as good as Keuchel, he's probably better than Keuchel at this point in his career

Edited by mtutiger

51 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Easy for me to say, but you can't just bubble wrap your pitchers because a season is lost... they need to find out what they have with Manning, as well as Rony, ElRod and Hill. Or even Turnbull if he gets starts in September, etc. Claiming Keuchel gets in the way of that 

I would add as well that the Tigers let Chase Anderson opt out of his deal with Toledo because he wasn't getting promoted... if this team felt they were in a position to claim Keuchel, they wouldn't have let Anderson walk. Because, like Hutchison, while his track record isn't as good as Keuchel, he's probably better than Keuchel at this point in his career

And letting Chase Anderson walk was the right thing to do because everything the Tigers do is the right thing to do.  

Wait, we are criticizing them for allowing a pitcher who wasn't exactly blowing down the doors in AAA, who has been slaughtered in the bigs the last two years, to opt out?

They went and picked up Sedlock to eat those innings. They pick up Keuchel off the scrap heap and see if he finds something in Toledo. No harm in that, but plugging him in the rotation would be a mistake.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

They can’t bubble wrap them, but some of the arms need to have their innings watched.

I don’t think Keuchel makes sense as of now.  But, let’s be honest, the Tigers have not had much luck with pitching health so far this season.  They may be scraping around for pitching before the season is out.

I wouldn’t dump anyone from the 40 for him, but if injuries escalate and guys assumed to be back from the 60 aren’t before the end of the season, what do the Tigers do?  I suppose they could just bring guys up from AAA, but keep in mind that the AAA seasons are extended to the end of September.  Maybe they just promote from AA if they pull enough from AAA, but again, they’ll have workloads to monitor.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Wait, we are criticizing them for allowing a pitcher who wasn't exactly blowing down the doors in AAA, who has been slaughtered in the bigs the last two years, to opt out?

Not at all. I don’t blame them at all for letting Chase Anderson leave. He's a AAAA guy.

My only point is that Keuchel is actually worse IMO

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Tigers signed Chi-Chi Gonzalez now as well so I'm guessing he's there for insurance as well. 

Also a AAAA guy who is better than Keuchel lol.

At the end of the day, this thread exists only because of a version of Keuchel that is no longer operable. 

• Like 1