Do you like the hiring of Dan Campbell as the new Detroit Lions head coach?

MotownWebGuy

Do you like the hiring of Dan Campbell as the new Detroit Lions head coach?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the hiring of Dan Campbell as the new Detroit Lions head coach?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks much for the kind comment! 

I'm trying to make the Motown websites for the Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Wings a one-stop resource for the latest team news.  As I find more online resources that make their news and information available via RSS feeds, I'm adding that content to each of the team sites.  So they keep growing and getting better as time passes. 

19 hours ago, Lionfan said:

Well, I think it's cool to catch everything (most) without scouring the web. Especially for a fan like me that lives way out of state.  I can't see why the forum isn't blowing up.  Hopefully you're getting lot's of views.

The websites themselves are less than a year old and traffic has been steadily growing since they were launched.  Forums like this are a little more difficult to start and grow these days due to the popularity of social sites like Facebook and Twitter.  The forums are here and ready to go whenever people make their way over to talk.

• 5 weeks later...

My mantra for a long time with the Lions has been this: Cautiously optimistic.

Generally I like Dan Campbell, but I've seen way too many times where something that appears to be the right direction for the Lions ends up being a complete and total failure.  I was cautiously optimistic with Patricia. I was cautiously optimistic with Schwartz and Marinelli. Even Mariucci made me think we where headed in the right direction.

I mean we've had HCs who were great coordinators in the past (Schwartz, Patricia), we've had HCs who had some level of previous success as HCs (Mariucci, Ross). We've had coaches who were neither (Marinelli)...  So I don't know that there is anything special about Campbell in terms of being unique or different or whatever. What I do like is that he actively wanted to be here as the HC.  I feel like it's more than he just wanted a HC job and would take any that came up. I get the feeling that he genuinely wanted to be in Detroit.  I also think his attitude fits Detroit.

Of course, all this wanted and fitting amounts to nothing if he can't coach.  So, do I think he'll be the one to finally break through and make the Lions respectable against? Well... I'm cautiously optimistic.

• 3 months later...

I far too often fall hook-line-sinker for new regimes.  I once said the Lions would win a Super Bowl under Matt Millen.  I really believed in Bob Quinn - until I saw Matt Patricia.  I have liked what I've seen of Campbell so far, but I would love anybody just to get Patricia out.  I believe he may replace Hugh Campbell, formerly of the Houston Oilers, as the worst head coach in NFL history. 

Dan Campbell was the hire I was least enthused about but the decision to hire Campbell has grown on me. Being that he isn't a play caller, the coordinators should have more autonomy and Campbell doesn't have a system. Even the Lions had a defensive coordinator, the system was Patricia's. The players were brought in to fit Patricia's system. Since Campbell doesn't have a system, I feel the Lions can build a system around the talent they have. 

I am overly hopeful about this team all the time, even with the apathy.  Especially in the beginning of a year.  Jury is out on Campbell, but I do like his enthusiasm and attitude.  I like going for it on 4th and a couple when the opponents zone...especially when you know your defense is not good.

I like how Campbell said he was not trying to be the smartest guy in the room...he was hiring smart guys to be around him to help him make decisions.  I do not know if it will work, but I do like people to admit they do not know everything.

Can't answer that at all.  In fact,  unless he does something absolutely inexplicable I can't even start to call that until  his 3rd season.  That's how bad the previous regime was, they put this new regime in a 2 year hole before they even walked in the building.     What made things even worse was how arrogant Quinn and Patricia were. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What about all those suitors for Jamie Collins?   

To me this is the first big Faux Pas for Holmes & Campbell.    Don't say that unless it's true.  Don't treat us like we're stupid. 

Yeah, it seems a bit odd to say the least.  I supposed it depends on what you call a suitor.  I mean, the Lions might be technically correct if teams called 'em and said: "Hey, we might be interested, can we get permission to talk to him?"  I mean you might technically call that a suitor but probably all it was was a team wanted to know why Collins was playing like crap before deciding if they want to try and look at him after the Lions cut him.

Fans will see through the "technically correct" in a heartbeat and call it bull.

9 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, it seems a bit odd to say the least.  I supposed it depends on what you call a suitor.  I mean, the Lions might be technically correct if teams called 'em and said: "Hey, we might be interested, can we get permission to talk to him?"  I mean you might technically call that a suitor but probably all it was was a team wanted to know why Collins was playing like crap before deciding if they want to try and look at him after the Lions cut him.

Fans will see through the "technically correct" in a heartbeat and call it bull.

I don't like that.  Just say it wasn't working out.  Any fan with a brain knew they weren't getting anything for him.  A lot of dead money there, but better on the books this year and next.  He was so bad, a practice squad guy or UFA could do what he did much cheaper. 

So far things are going about how I expected and that's a good thing. I think the jury was always going to be out on Campbell as far as an in game tactician but any flaws there would be made up in how good of motivator he is and thus far that seems to be the case. 

There's been a few instances where I felt he made the wrong in game calls but hopefully he will get better as time goes on. You can't deny the effort the guys are playing with though which to me may be the most important thing when it comes to being a Head Coach. 

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What about all those suitors for Jamie Collins?   

To me this is the first big Faux Pas for Holmes & Campbell.    Don't say that unless it's true.  Don't treat us like we're stupid. 

Meh. Once they decided the last regime's guy did not have the right attitude you knew they would get rid of him. They had decided he was worth nothing to them and put him out there for a day in case there might be two teams that wanted to take a pass.

17 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Meh. Once they decided the last regime's guy did not have the right attitude you knew they would get rid of him. They had decided he was worth nothing to them and put him out there for a day in case there might be two teams that wanted to take a pass.

I think MCS' issue is that the Lions made is seem like they had multiple teams lining up to trade for him.  Cutting him wasn't the issue, it was the smokescreen of trying to make it look like they were getting something for him.

Now, perhaps they were doing that in and effort to try to drum up interest from another team, but that seems rather silly.  I can't imagine any teams front office would fall for that... thinking they better make a trade off before some other team snatched up with asset.

8 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I think MCS' issue is that the Lions made is seem like they had multiple teams lining up to trade for him.  Cutting him wasn't the issue, it was the smokescreen of trying to make it look like they were getting something for him.

Now, perhaps they were doing that in and effort to try to drum up interest from another team, but that seems rather silly.  I can't imagine any teams front office would fall for that... thinking they better make a trade off before some other team snatched up with asset.

I get it, but really, we are going to get offended as fans because the team tried and failed to obtain some return for an asset they valued at zero? Like the team owes us as fans complete and accurate information on every call they receive? Maybe they ought to dial all of us up on draft night as well. 

17 hours ago, RedRamage said:

What I don't like is they assumed we were dumb enough to believe they had suitors for the guy.  Nobody wants that guy.  First of all he's slow and outside of NE he's never been good.   Plus, he apparently was pulling a Titus Young and not playing in the proper position (tying to make plays he wasn't designed to make) and it was throwing everyone off.  You saw the immediate difference the next week with Anzalone too.  That's why they were so fast to cut him, not only was he sucking but he wasn't buying in.  You can't ask the other 10 guys to risk their neck and let one guy go out and improvise, it throws the whole balance off.   Nobody wants that, or at least wants to give up anything for that and any serious reasonable fan knew that.   As stated here, if they had gotten anything higher than a 7th round pick, Brad Holmes is a miracle worker.   Alas, Brad is a mere human.     We know you have to lie sometimes, but don't treat us like we're stupid.  Too many of us have been dealing with that for too long.  

I am very forgiving of Campbell's mistakes right now.   He's desperate for that first win, and lets be honest, he left them with a 66 yard field goal attempt...........the poor schmuck had to see some buy break a record.     I doubt he makes the same mistake again of playing not to lose this year.  Just keep going balls-out here.  The fans know your roster stinks, they'll appreciate the effort that way when it doesn't work.    Probably don't want to do that once you get some really good players here and you are playing for something.  

The biggest plus I have noticed so far is that this team went from quitting in games to never giving up.    They got destroyed in the 49ers game but fought their way back and made it a game.   The Packers game was just a great veteran QB figuring out their terrible defense and shredding it.  The game Sunday they fought like hell.  The defense held Lamar Jackson in check for the most part.   That's what we want to see..........play hard, we're used to the losing, but we don't like teams that quit.   Lose for that draft pick, but lose in an interesting way.   So far, so good.