6/16 7:10 Rangers @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

One of the things that frosts me is that we have this terrible roster but they are protecting 40 man slots like these guys are all Hall of Famers. Sure Clemens didn't do much - so what? It was worth a flyer, it's not like there a pennant pending over whether Willi Castro plays one less game. If anything they waited way too long give him a shot.

Agree here as well. Clemens wasn't ever gonna be a savior, but they were gonna need to see what they had on the 40 man roster at some point.

A.J. Hinch is an authoritarian who is powerful enough that he can limit how much General Manager Avila and Owner Ilitch can speak to the press during the season.

Hinch is also a weakling in the clubhouse who was passive in Houston while the team cheated in front of him and he doesn’t seem to be much different now. 

Yup, a guy like that is definitely terrible, all right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

One of the things that frosts me is that we have this terrible roster but they are protecting 40 man slots like these guys are all Hall of Famers. Sure Clemens didn't do much - so what? It was worth a flyer, it's not like there a pennant pending over whether Willi Castro plays one less game. If anything they waited way too long give him a shot.

I'm waiting for the Greiner/ Ramos/ Jacoby Jones/ Mazara moment with this team.

I also don't care if Clemens hasn't done much. Like you... I think he's still worth taking a flyer on.

And I don't care if we have superstars waiting in the minors, or not. 

Some of these 40 man slots just need to be pushed out the door and next man up, for good or for bad. I don't care. Maybe Clemens figures out MLB pitching and is halfway decent as a bench guy or sometimes 2B starter. How do we know unless he gets enough PA's to prove it one way or another? Same with someone like Kerry Carpenter who may prove he's got nothing in MLB... So what? Give him a shot anyways.

When can we have our 2022 Grossman/ Schoop/ Haase (to AAA)/ Tork (to AAA) moment and go next man up, just to give someone else a shot (and the team a shot in the arm?), even if the next guy isn't all that.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

A.J. Hinch is an authoritarian who is powerful enough that he can limit how much General Manager Avila and Owner Ilitch can speak to the press during the season.

Hinch is also a weakling in the clubhouse who was passive in Houston while the team cheated in front of him and he doesn’t seem to be much different now. 

Yup, a guy like that is definitely terrible, all right.

I don't look at what Hinch did in Houston is anything that really matters now.  What's important is how he is managing the team now and the decisions he is making.  A lot of the team is not playing to their ability especially at the plate.  This has gone on long enough with too many players that a coaching change should've been made a while ago.  That is on Hinch and Avila.  Letting Sosa go too long last night is on Hinch. We had to endure three position player pitching two games ago to preserve the pen but then last night Hinch was afraid to use them.  I don't know if Hinch has failed bad enough to fire him yet but if he hasn't then in my opinion he should be on very thin ice and the end is near.  

2 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I did get a good chuckle during the broadcast when Jack said "Hey, thanks to those of you who are still watching". I think they cut his mic though before he could add "this shitshow of a team".

As others have said, they desperately need a shakeup. They problem is though that for most positions they don't have any viable prospects to replace people with (except Greene). As for trades, guys hitting under .200 with no power don't have a lot of value to contending organizations. Maybe a couple of our bullpen arms could be of interest, but we aren't getting high quality prospects in return for any of our flotsam.

I like Jack's commentary, as much respect I have for Gibby and his health issues he sounds like he's on qualudes.

21 minutes ago, raind said:

I like Jack's commentary, as much respect I have for Gibby and his health issues he sounds like he's on qualudes.

Jack's been better this year but he still does too much "back in my day" talk for my liking which is why I don't like having a player from that generation call games. It's to the point now that the game is almost a completely different sport than it was 4 decades ago when he played so it's almost pointless to hear how he used to do things.

Petry does about a good of job out of the Tigers crew of not being guilty of that, if he does do it he usually prefaces it with saying how the game is different now and some of things he did don't apply to today's game.