6/16 7:10 Rangers @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

Saw a tweet earlier tonight that I meant to clip but it showed the teams with highest chase percentage as a team in June are us and the Braves.  We all know how terrible our offense and team has been this month, meanwhile the Braves have scored over 100 runs this month and thus far are undefeated.  

Let's be honest when we only had a one run lead going into the ninth and Soto walked the first guy and then wanted the mound fixed you knew it was over. And while they were fixing the mound we had nobody warming in the pen. That was surprising to me. Sometimes supporting your players is preventing them from self destruction. So three scoops of bad today for me..offense-Soto-Hinch

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe Dan Campbell could break the Ping Pong table lol

This team needs a Billy Martin postgame speech. That would take place after he flips the postgame meal table and kicks the food against all the lockers in the room. Then comes the speech. The speech would consists of a few select words that would be repeated over and over and over.

I’ll bet this team couldn’t survive a Billy Martin postgame demonstration and speech. They’d all run to the IL and request a trip to Toledo. 

Kind of tells you where this team is right now. They feel good about things and they have the ping pong tournament going on and all the while, they totally suck at what they’re getting paid to do, top to bottom with a very few exceptions. 

I bet Hinch picks their balls up when they hit the floor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

the team needs better talent, not better speeches.

Why not both?

We can talk talent all we want, but you've got numerous guys who aren't performing up to their career norms and appear to be exhibiting a lack of any sort of urgency to correct them. The status quo, which appears to be having ping pong tourneys, isn't gonna cut it.

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

the team needs better talent, not better speeches.

IMHO, I believe the team needs a different manager. Hinch was passive in Houston while the team cheated in front of him and he doesn’t seem to be much different now. 

17 minutes ago, 1776 said:

IMHO, I believe the team needs a different manager. Hinch was passive in Houston while the team cheated in front of him and he doesn’t seem to be much different now. 

I don't know if they need a different manager, but I don't know how anyone can watch this ****show at this point and not be willing to look at Hinch and his role in all of this. Particularly given that Coolbaugh is still employed and Hinch is probably the biggest factor in that still being the case.

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Why not both?

We can talk talent all we want, but you've got numerous guys who aren't performing up to their career norms and appear to be exhibiting a lack of any sort of urgency to correct them. The status quo, which appears to be having ping pong tourneys, isn't gonna cut it.

i dont think speeches mean much of anything to players at this level.  tactics, yes.  teaching, probably.  in game decision making?  a bit.  

all in all, managers can make a small difference over the course of the long season, but have more of an influence in a short series playoff.  managers.  as with all sports, the most important thing is talent and its acquisition and development.

you know how i feel about it, but its a results oriented business.  and the results have been pretty poor.  so you cant really say anyone in management has done a good job, from avila to hinch to the bat boy.

I'm really not in a position to say what's best for the team in terms of how they should be acting in the clubhouse but I will say that it definitely isn't a good luck to your average fan when they hear the team that they spend their money and time following is just treating everything as status quo and having a jolly good time behind the scenes despite them playing like crap.

Perhaps them staying status quo and having that jolly good time is what is best for their psyche and in turn best thing for them to turn it around, I really don't know but personally I think if that is what they believe and what they are doing for P.R. reasons they should've kept that to themselves. Atleast put on the front that you guys are pissed off and are doing everything you can to try to turn it around whether that be watching more game film breaking down pitchers or whatever, the fans would rather hear that then hear you say that you guys are all loose having ping pong tournaments after getting shut out for the millionth time.  

Edited by RandyMarsh

Hinch is also a bit of an authoritarian. He doesn't allow his coaches to speak and offer their perspective. And I think he doesn't want Avila or Ilitch speaking much during the season either. I'm guessing that's part of the deal when he signed up. 

So his mealy mouthed excuses become redundant and tiring. But he's a placid/unemotional guy who looks at data. They've gone through the data and there's nothing to do. Guys have to hit...what he didn't realize is the organization doesn't have any viable replacements for horrific offensive performance. So they have to sit in it.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think speeches mean much of anything to players at this level.  tactics, yes.  teaching, probably.  in game decision making?  a bit.  

all in all, managers can make a small difference over the course of the long season, but have more of an influence in a short series playoff.  managers.  as with all sports, the most important thing is talent and its acquisition and development.

you know how i feel about it, but its a results oriented business.  and the results have been pretty poor.  so you cant really say anyone in management has done a good job, from avila to hinch to the bat boy.

I get it.... the bigger point is the status quo kinda needs to be rocked at this point. Whether that comes in the form of Coolbaugh being a sacrificial lamb or a surprise DFA (ie. Grossman). At least as an outside observer, guys just appear to be way too comfortable with the **** results.

Edited by mtutiger

I did get a good chuckle during the broadcast when Jack said "Hey, thanks to those of you who are still watching". I think they cut his mic though before he could add "this shitshow of a team".

As others have said, they desperately need a shakeup. They problem is though that for most positions they don't have any viable prospects to replace people with (except Greene). As for trades, guys hitting under .200 with no power don't have a lot of value to contending organizations. Maybe a couple of our bullpen arms could be of interest, but we aren't getting high quality prospects in return for any of our flotsam.

15 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I did get a good chuckle during the broadcast when Jack said "Hey, thanks to those of you who are still watching". I think they cut his mic though before he could add "this shitshow of a team".

As others have said, they desperately need a shakeup. They problem is though that for most positions they don't have any viable prospects to replace people with (except Greene). As for trades, guys hitting under .200 with no power don't have a lot of value to contending organizations. Maybe a couple of our bullpen arms could be of interest, but we aren't getting high quality prospects in return for any of our flotsam.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brendon Davis at some point, but otherwise, this is true.... Clemens is here (and hasn't been good), and we know what Zack Short can do.

Edited by mtutiger

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Brendon Davis at some point, but otherwise, this is true.... Clemens is here (and hasn't been good), and we know what Zack Short can do.

clemens was raking at triple a and everyone wanted him to come up.  he did and he predictably sucks.

they dont have a ton of minor league talent and the high end talent they do have is injured.

that's really the story of this year: injuries.  i didnt expect them to be above 500 this year, but was looking forward to miggy chasing 3000 and watching the young players play.  unfortunately injuries have taken a lot of the fun out of that.  

sure, it would be nice to see them win, but i wasnt expecting much.  but not seeing greene, mize, and manning has made this season really boring.  other than skubal, this season has been a total loss.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

clemens was raking at triple a and everyone wanted him to come up.  he did and he predictably sucks.

they dont have a ton of minor league talent and the high end talent they do have is injured.

that's really the story of this year: injuries.  i didnt expect them to be above 500 this year, but was looking forward to miggy chasing 3000 and watching the young players play.  unfortunately injuries have taken a lot of the fun out of that.  

sure, it would be nice to see them win, but i wasnt expecting much.  but not seeing greene, mize, and manning has made this season really boring.  other than skubal, this season has been a total loss.

I'd add Brieske, Faedo, Lange and Vest. But otherwise I can't disagree.

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

hard to fathom the lack of urgency in the org. Baddoo, who has been on a steady upswing at Toledo, sat tonight. Why? To play Derek Hill? Really? 

And Grossman 3/18 0BB since his return.

I noticed that too - 1-for-3 with a walk the night before, and then he doesn't play.

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

One of the things that frosts me is that we have this terrible roster but they are protecting 40 man slots like these guys are all Hall of Famers. Sure Clemens didn't do much - so what? It was worth a flyer, it's not like there a pennant pending over whether Willi Castro plays one less game. If anything they waited way too long give him a shot.