2022 MLB Draft

RandyMarsh

Just now, Tenacious D said:

Glad we're addressing our dearth of OF prospects in the org.

That would be my one problem so far. I understand some of these picks could make it to the OF but honestly there are only so many AB's to go around in the minors. I am guessing people will start getting pushed faster up the ladder.

They've already said that Jung will play 2B.  Gold is possible.  They might move Keith there, too, when he gets healthy.

I suspect Jose King and Corey Joyce, both in WM, are probably leaving the organization soon.  And Trei Cruz is probably on notice.  They won't move the young guys in Lakeland up yet (I think), so Jung and Graham could start in WM.  

Just a quick blurb on Gold by Keith Law:

Luke Gold, 2B, Boston College

Gold doesn’t swing and miss much, and almost never missed a fastball this year, but he’s never really hit for average in three seasons with Boston College, and with fringy power and a walk rate under 10 percent, he needs to do more damage on all that contact he’s making. He has a no-load, no-strike approach, with a toe tap as a timing mechanism but no real weight transfer, which might be why he can’t translate his impressive bat control into better results, especially on non-fastballs. He’s played mostly second base for the Eagles with a little bit of third, and if someone can turn all this contact into more production, he could be a solid regular at either spot.

1 minute ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Just a quick blurb on Gold by Keith Law:

Luke Gold, 2B, Boston College

Gold doesn’t swing and miss much, and almost never missed a fastball this year, but he’s never really hit for average in three seasons with Boston College, and with fringy power and a walk rate under 10 percent, he needs to do more damage on all that contact he’s making. He has a no-load, no-strike approach, with a toe tap as a timing mechanism but no real weight transfer, which might be why he can’t translate his impressive bat control into better results, especially on non-fastballs. He’s played mostly second base for the Eagles with a little bit of third, and if someone can turn all this contact into more production, he could be a solid regular at either spot.

Gold is probably the most intriguing pick thus far IMO... he took a pretty hard fall given where he was ranked. Has the tools to be a big leaguer, but can he put it together?

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Aren't they going to start at the Lakeland Complex first? And they might even get some FSL time (sorry for the old nomenclature... I forget the new ones...).

I don't think you have to worry about moving guys up or out... just yet.

would they do that with the high pick, college position players?  I know they coddle the pitchers and high schoolers, but don't recall what happened last year.

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I like Jung and Graham.

And Melton too.

After that it looks like utility guys but I do like their first 3 selections so far...

Wouldn't anybody after the first two selections who becomes a utilty player in the majors be considered a success?

2 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Skubal was in the 9th.  Briskie wa what, 28th round?.

We have a boatload of guys (pitchers) in MLB, or almost there, from the late rounds (for whatever reason):

Brieske, 2019, 27th round.

Garrett Hill, 2018, 26th round.

Chance Kirby, 2018, 25th round.

Brendan White, 2019, 26th round.

(Fernander and Chentouf in 2018, 35th & 36th rounds if either makes it to MLB as a reliever... not out of the question...).

Will Vest was a 12th in 2017, and we've also called up Drew Carlton, 2017 32nd rounder...

Who knows what the staying power is of any of these guys... but it's pretty remarkable, I think, to have this many late-round pitchers all of a sudden knocking at MLB's door, or already there... in the same time frame.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We have a boatload of guys (pitchers) in MLB, or almost there, from the late rounds (for whatever reason):

Brieske, 2019, 27th round.

Garrett Hill, 2018, 26th round.

Chance Kirby, 2018, 25th round.

Brendan White, 2019, 26th round.

(Fernander and Chentouf in 2018, 35th & 36th rounds if either makes it to MLB as a reliever... not out of the question...).

Will Vest was a 12th in 2017, and we've also called up Drew Carlton, 2017 32nd rounder...

Who knows what the staying power is of any of these guys... but it's pretty remarkable, I think, to have this many late-round pitchers all of a sudden knocking at MLB's door, or already there... in the same time frame.

You put that together in 25 minutes.  I'm impresed.

• Like 1