2022 MLB Draft

RandyMarsh

I'd start Jung in left field.  And then first base or DH would be the fallback plan.  I would rather sacrifice a bad fielder in left field than at second baseman.  I am sure the Tigers will start him at second or third though.  Like they did with Torkleson, which was a waste of time.  

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

he looks like billy butler....or chris shelton.

that guy plays second base?  i never would have thought that.

but if issac paredes can play second, i dont know why jung cant.

Sock is playing third and first. But Jung doesn’t have a third baseman arm. Allegedly. 

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

yup

I remember when we drafted Tork somebody posed a question on the old board if we'd be ok if he ended up like Paul Konerko. The over whelming response was we'd be disappointed(myself included) now how many of us would kill for that outcome? That's not to say that Tork still can't surpass that comp but you start to temper your expectations the longer he is part of your system and you see him more. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember when we drafted Tork somebody posed a question on the old board if we'd be ok if he ended up like Paul Konerko. The over whelming response was we'd be disappointed(myself included) now how many of us would kill for that outcome? That's not to say that Tork still can't surpass that comp but you start to temper your expectations the longer he is part of your system and you see him more. 

So far, he looks like Mike Laga.  

Here's Law take on Jung. Of course this was before we picked him so since he hates us he may not still feel the same way.

8. Jace Jung, 3B, Texas Tech

Jung has one of the weirdest setups you will ever see in a hitter above Little League, holding the bat so far behind his back shoulder that you’d think it was covered in a toxic fungus. Or perhaps cooties. Yet he hits — he hit well enough as a sophomore in 2021, with a .337/.462/.697 line and more walks than strikeouts, that he probably would have gone in the top half of the first round last year had he been eligible. The younger brother of Rangers prospect Josh Jung, Jace gets the bat head into the zone in plenty of time to make consistent, high-quality contact, including power, with 21 homers as a sophomore and 14 this season. His position is still the main question; he’s mostly played second base in college, not that well, but doesn’t have the arm for the left side of the infield or the speed to play anywhere else but left field or first base. There’s enough reason to buy his bat that he’s going to go in the top-10 picks even with such a huge unknown in his profile.

14 minutes ago, Hart said:

I'd start Jung in left field.  And then first base or DH would be the fallback plan.  I would rather sacrifice a bad fielder in left field than at second baseman.  I am sure the Tigers will start him at second or third though.  Like they did with Torkleson, which was a waste of time.  

No, he's playable at second, he's not cringeworthy on defense like Jacob Berry, it's just not a plus.

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Don’t like the pick. Another defensive liability. Al’s specialty. Can’t wait for Al to describe the “sound of his bat hitting a ball “. 

I haven’t really paid much attention to this draft because (1) I normally don’t and (2) the rebuild is over.  I don’t like taking a DH either.  Sure, they talk about sending him to LF or 1B, but if he can’t run, he’s a liability in LF.  And Torkleson is the 1B for the future despite a rough rookie season.  I suppose he could end up being trade fodder.

On the other hand, I’ll have to call out my own ignorance because I really don’t know what the better option was.  Perhaps this was the last pick of this certain tier of players, and the remaining players are just not as good.  That seems doubtful, but it’s possible.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not saying he is necessarily wrong but let's face it no matter who we drafted Shep would've said it was a great pick. They could've picked me and he'd be like "He's 40 years old with a ton of message board experience so he's not some immature High School kid, he will bring a wealth of knowledge to the young tigers hitters. Great start to the draft for the Tigers!"

No offense, but I prefer Jung.  😆

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I haven’t really paid much attention to this draft because (1) I normally don’t and (2) the rebuild is over.  I don’t like taking a DH either.  Sure, they talk about sending him to LF or 1B, but if he can’t run, he’s a liability in LF.  And Torkleson is the 1B for the future despite a rough rookie season.  I suppose he could end up being trade fodder.

On the other hand, I’ll have to call out my own ignorance because I really don’t know what the better option was.  Perhaps this was the last pick of this certain tier of players, and the remaining players are just not as good.  That seems doubtful, but it’s possible.

He's not necessarily a DH.  It's just that when I hear red flags about a prospect's defense he usually winds up being a bad defender.  We'll see.   

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He's not necessarily a DH.  It's just that when I hear red flags about a prospect's defense he usually winds up being a bad defender.  We'll see.   

So, he doesn’t have the arm for 3B.  But do we know if he can close blowouts as a P?

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

We heard quite a few red flags about Greene’s defense when he was drafted.  🤪

5 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

We heard quite a few red flags about Greene’s defense when he was drafted.  🤪

Not really.  They said he was a decent defender, who would start off in center, but might end up in a corner.  There was never any talk about him being stiff and slow and maybe not having a position.    

Edited by Tiger337