2022 MLB Draft

RandyMarsh

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Slot for that pick is $560k.  It’s $4M for pick 15 which is probably what he’ll want to skip college.    

probably--not sure how much they are saving with the Rocker pick that they can apply.  I doubt they would draft him in the 4th if they didn't have an indication or inclination that we would sign.

The other issue with losing the 3rd round pick (ERod signing) is not only the loss of player opportunity, that pick was worth about $700K that the Tigers could have had in their pool to get creative in order to try and sign a HS player they like that would sign over-slot to forego his college commitment.

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

probably--not sure how much they are saving with the Rocker pick that they can apply.  I doubt they would draft him in the 4th if they didn't have an indication or inclination that we would sign.

Looks like they saved $2.4M on Rocker. They can offer Porter at least $3M.  That’s right around pick #20 money and should be good enough for him to leave Clemson and sign.  

Edited by Hongbit

6 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

From Fangraphs:
 Rated their #100 
Gold has plus bat speed and pull power but he may not have a position due to issues with throwing accuracy.

he can platoon at DH with Jung.  I read a different report that his arm was strong enough to play both positions.  I guess that can be technically correct, while being erratic.

I keep forgetting that next year is the first year of the draft lottery, I keep telling myself that we're probably going to get a top 3 pick this year based off our record but if the Tigers have any type of luck like the other Detroit teams do in the draft lottery they will probably be picking as far back as the rules say they can. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I have never seen any of these guys play and have only read about them very recently.  So, I have no opinion on the draft other than I am glad they didn't sign a bunch of high school pitchers  

They badly needed an infusion of position players, particularly ones who are more advanced, and they seem to be accomplishing that while not reaching as well. 

I'll take it.

I'm just negative today.  Got spoiled getting top of the draft picks the last few drafts. Last year, Madden slipped to us, and Pacheco seemed like a nice consolation for all of the HS shortstops we passed on in the draft.

I'm not seeing any interesting picks--probably losing the 3rd hurt, along with our much smaller draft budget this year.  I'd be OK with that if the MLB team was having a good season, but we're awful and have to wait another draft to "reap" the benefits of our ineptitude.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

They badly needed an infusion of position players, particularly ones who are more advanced, and they seem to be accomplishing that while not reaching as well. 

I'll take it.

Agreed, also the impatient part of me also says that since most have been position players we should see them in the minors playing this year rather than starting next like they do with the pitchers.