2022 MLB Draft

RandyMarsh

Just now, SoCalTiger said:

Great we drafted a DH. Aren’t those available every off season for about 5 mil ?

We're in so desparate a need to good MLB bats that I can actually live with this. Especially if he actually does have a special bat.

I won't cry over an Edgar Martinez.

Not at all.

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Don’t like the pick. Another defensive liability. Al’s specialty. Can’t wait for Al to describe the “sound of his bat hitting a ball “. 

Defense is so overrated. We won a lot of games with a bad fielding group. That wasn't what cost us the world series. 

If you can field great but can't hit nobody cares. Nobody ever won with a bunch of Adam evettets

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not saying he is necessarily wrong but let's face it no matter who we drafted Shep would've said it was a great pick. They could've picked me and he'd be like "He's 40 years old with a ton of message board experience so he's not some immature High School kid, he will bring a wealth of knowledge to the young tigers hitters. Great start to the draft for the Tigers!"

He is annoying.  I don't know why...Blaha was the same way for the Pistons but he is not near as annoying as Shepard.  Shep just always seems like he is trying too hard to suck up to the baseball boys club and Blaha never felt that way.  

2 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Defense is so overrated. We won a lot of games with a bad fielding group. That wasn't what cost us the world series. 

If you can field great but can't hit nobody cares. Nobody ever won with a bunch of Adam evettets

Well agreed but aren’t there players that can hit and field? Plus defense is very important especially if you can’t turn double plays. 

2 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I think defense is underrated.  If you have great defense, it can turn an average staff into a good one.  With all the strikeouts in today's game, it matters less than it used to. but it's still important.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We're in so desparate a need to good MLB bats that I can actually live with this. Especially if he actually does have a special bat.

I won't cry over an Edgar Martinez.

Not at all.

I hope you are right but Edgar Martinez might be just a little greedy don’t you think. 

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

There has never been a team of elite fielders who can't hit.  So, we'll never know what such a team would do.  Ideally, a team is at least average in every facet and obove average in a couple of areas.  

Just now, SoCalTiger said:

Well agreed but aren’t there players that can hit and field? Plus defense is very important especially if you can’t turn double plays. 

It's hard to get guys who are projected to provide plus defense up the middle and plus offense with the 13th pick. You're generally going to get guys with some question marks there, whether it be defense, hitting, lack of projection or age.(being young and not knowing how they will age) 

A good DH still has a lot of value, particularly with both leagues having a DH now.  As long as he hits well, Jung will be a good pick. He has a really good hitter profile. Of course, it is still on the Tigers to develop him.

Edited by Scottwood

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

I hope you are right but Edgar Martinez might be just a little greedy don’t you think. 

PS: He has a high Hit tool, great plate discipline, and some, but not monstrous, power.

We'll see how that works out... but it's an Edgar profile... would love to see him hit that.

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought Kreidler was the second baseman.  

I know Kriedler is supposed to be a decent shortstop but how many 6'4 second baseman are there around baseball?  I would imagine his best position will end up being third base.  Although I certainly wouldn't rule out second base.

I am hoping the Tigers hit on one of Keith, Lipcius, or Kriedler at third base...assuming Candelario can't get his stroke back.  

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

It's hard to get guys who are projected to provide plus defense up the middle and plus offense with the 13th pick. You're generally going to get guys with some question marks there, whether it be defense, hitting, lack of projection or age.(being young and not knowing how they will age) 

Seems I’m the greedy one 😊

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think defense is underrated.  If you have great defense, it can turn an average staff into a good one.  With all the strikeouts in today's game, it matters less than it used to. but it's still important.  

Defense can be underrated in terms of the effect it has on your record but it's also easier to acquire great defenders via trades/FA than it is to acquire plus offensive players. Also defense seems to be less predictable year to year so unless you are top tier its hard to know what you are going to get year to year. 

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Plus who knows what the game will look like in 5-10 years.