2022 MLB Draft

RandyMarsh

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Is this guy legit?

He seems to have decent knowledge of prospects, but I don't know if he has insider info.  Tigers twitter likes him, but they are always pumping each other up, so who knows.  I am skeptical about him having great sources.   

Edited by Tiger337

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

That is absolutely true.

You can have too little hitting though.  

Seems like I hear the phrase “you can’t have too much pitching” most often when a team stockpiles pitching at the expense of hitting. That’s been the Tigers’ MO, and that phrase has been used in their defense repeatedly during this process. 

• Like 1

Here is Law's write up about Prieplipp;

TL; DR: Could have been in discussion for 1:1 if not for TJ. Not a huge track record but could be high end starter or bullpen. 

28. Connor Prielipp, LHP, Alabama

Prielipp had Tommy John surgery at the end of May 2021, ending his college career after just seven starts and 28 innings across two seasons. He returned to throw a bullpen right before the SEC tournament, mostly 90-92 with flashes of the slider he’d had before the injury, when the slider was plus and his changeup was good enough to project him as a starter. He cuts himself off when he lands, coming back a little across his body, although that and the low 3/4 slot also add to his deception. He might have been in consideration for the first-overall pick had he stayed healthy — and performed — but now seems more likely to get a deal in the second half of the first round. As for his future, he could be a high-end starter, and he could easily end up in the bullpen. He’s thrown so little in games that the range of his potential outcomes is huge.

Zero confidence in Avila, but if the Dodgers grabbed a guy like this (a la Buehler in 2015) in the first round, saved some $ and leveraged that for someone who fell, that would impress me

edit they tried to do something like this in 2017 and fell flat on their face

Edited by RatkoVarda

32 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Zero confidence in Avila, but if the Dodgers grabbed a guy like this (a la Buehler in 2015) in the first round, saved some $ and leveraged that for someone who fell, that would impress me

edit they tried to do something like this in 2017 and fell flat on their face

Call it eternal optimism but I like to think that the personnel they brought over from the Dodgers org will have some say in what happens with this draft so I am cautiously optimistic if they tried to do it again we may get a different result.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-july-13-2022?t=mlb-draft-coverage 

Mayo really  wants us to take Porter here for some reason. Jung being available I have a hard time seeing them selecting another high school pitcher. This part is at least a little encouraging; "The Tigers are also discussing college hitters like Jung, Zach Neto and Chase DeLauter and a high school bat like Cole Young "

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Seems like I hear the phrase “you can’t have too much pitching” most often when a team stockpiles pitching at the expense of hitting. That’s been the Tigers’ MO, and that phrase has been used in their defense repeatedly during this process. 

Since we all attend the Church of Baseball, all I can say is, "Amen Brother !!"

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

Personally, I'd prefer getting high quality position prospects, and then sign my pitchers after they have had TJ surgery and went through rehab. In pitching , you  get what you pay for and drafting pitchers to develop them is just a waste of resources.

So lets draft ZERO pitchers and have minor league teams with no pitchers at all, just hitters.

That could be interesting, right?

If we're going to actually be a draft and development team, which I think every one of us in here, and hopefully in the Tigers Org, top-to-bottom, wants, then...

We're drafting both pitchers and position players. 

There may be a preference for position players in the 1st and pitchers outside the 1st... or vice verse... But, it doesn't matter.

If we only select pitchers in the 1st; we still have to develop more than just 1st rounders, which includes a couple position players outside the 1st. And if we are SUPPOSED to be a D&D team, them we HAVE to be able to do that.

So I'll go back to my BPA mantra for the 1st, and not care so much (I AM weighted more towards position players but am flexible enough for either) whether it is position versus pitcher. By the same token, if we draft only position players in the 1st, we STILL have to be able to develop a couple pitchers outside the 1st... which we appear to be capable of doing.

I think we can do the same with position players (develop some outside of 1st rounders...); but those guys are still percolating up through the minors so we haven't seen the MLB results of that yet...

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

We can't shy away from pitchers.  I can't imagine that is a good formula for success.  Injuries are more commonplace now, which is probably why you need to double-down on pitching to make sure you have enough when a few of your guys are out for an extended period of time.  If you go with BPA, it will keep you honest and always ensure you are stocking the minors with the best players (in your estimation).

My concern with the Alabama LHP is he doesn't have much of a track record to go from (he did not pitch many college innings before his TJ surgery, and few, if any, were against SEC schools, so not sure how much he was tested.  If there is a positive to him, he did get his TJ out of the way.

I just hope the Tigers think the BPA is a position player who gets on base to help at the top of the order.  We're already set throughout the organization with guys who will strikeout 25-35% of the time.