2022 MLB Draft

RandyMarsh

On 6/29/2022 at 7:16 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Kiley McDaniel of ESPN now has us taking Connor Priellp(sp?) Lhp from University of Alabama. Kiley notes that from everything he has heard we are essentially exclusively looking at college players for our first pick.

I’d rather see a post-rehab Preillp over another wasted pick on a high school arm.  I am having a hard time getting excited for the draft at all after last year’s Jobe/Mayer debacle.  I have zero confidence in Al to make the right pick.  Greene could be sitting there, and he would still try to do something “clever.”

4 hours ago, Clinkeroo said:

I’d rather see a post-rehab Preillp over another wasted pick on a high school arm.  I am having a hard time getting excited for the draft at all after last year’s Jobe/Mayer debacle.  I have zero confidence in Al to make the right pick.  Greene could be sitting there, and he would still try to do something “clever.”

What debacle?  Not an Avila apologist, but Mayer isn’t exactly tearing up the minors.  I’m OK with the Jobe-Madden-Pacheco troika right now,

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

What debacle?  Not an Avila apologist, but Mayer isn’t exactly tearing up the minors.  I’m OK with the Jobe-Madden-Pacheco troika right now,

Mayer cooled off some but has had a couple of good games beginning in August. Jordan Lawlar is better though.

Either way, I'm with you in that I'd take the troika over Boston's haul in Rounds 1-2 last year in Mayer and Jud Fabian (who did not sign and went back to Florida).

Edited by mtutiger

4 hours ago, Longgone said:

This doesn't make much sense, when Greene was "sitting there", he picked him.

Yep, the funny thing is as good as Greene has been we may have even passed on somebody better in CJ Abrams who was taken with the very next pick and was rumored to be one of the guys we were high on. It's obviously too early to tell but that would be par for the course for Avila that even when one of his draft picks hits he still ends up getting it wrong cause somebody he passed on was even better. 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:37 PM, Tenacious D said:

The debacle was the pick in relation to need and ability.  Any “results” so far are way too early.  We would most likely still have Madden and Pacheco.

I guess one way of looking at it is this: Does anyone on this board, even the most diehard fanboys, honestly think that Boston would trade Mayer for Jobe?

3 hours ago, Clinkeroo said:

The debacle was the pick in relation to need and ability.  Any “results” so far are way too early.  We would most likely still have Madden and Pacheco.

I guess one way of looking at it is this: Does anyone on this board, even the most diehard fanboys, honestly think that Boston would trade Mayer for Jobe?

We don’t know if Mayer wanted to play for the Tigers—it’s not unusual for a HS player to use the threat of college as leverage. I personally would have preferred Mayer, but it’s hardly a “debacle” that the Tigers took the best pitcher in the draft with their selection, after a few recent drafts where they focused on selecting position players.

We saw with Manning that it can take longer for a high school pitcher to adjust to professional ball.  The curve is probably greater for Jobe, who took up pitching later.   I recall reading at the time of the draft that if a team had wanted to draft him as a SS, he would have likely gone in the third round, so he was fairly polished/accomplished there.  I’m pulling for him—if he reaches his ceiling, he should exceed Mize or Skubal.  We just have to be patient—I’m encouraged by what he’s doing getting his feet wet in A ball.

• Like 1

The Athletic's last mock before the real deal. Has Jung taken at 11 and Neto at 7. 

12. Detroit Tigers: Gavin Cross, OF, Virginia Tech

Heard the Tigers with Cross, Barriera, Chase Delauter, Porter, Cole Young and Daniel Susac. I haven’t heard anyone with Carson Whisenhunt yet, but he’d fit for them in multiple ways. I don’t think they take an injured pitcher, and I would be surprised if they were in the Jett Williams market.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:25 PM, RandyMarsh said:

This is true but with my experience from seeing fans in other message boards or social media nobody is more guilty of this than Yankees fans. 

No one is more delusional in all of sports than Detroit Lions fans.

I don't know about baseball, but I remember at the beginning of the year hearing Tigers fans talk about how Mize, Skubal, and Manning were all aces and were going to compete for the Cy Young.  Torkelson and Greene were going to run away with the ROY voting.  Torkelson would be in consideration for the MVP...

29 minutes ago, gkelly said:

I don't know about baseball, but I remember at the beginning of the year hearing Tigers fans talk about how Mize, Skubal, and Manning were all aces and were going to compete for the Cy Young.  Torkelson and Greene were going to run away with the ROY voting.  Torkelson would be in consideration for the MVP...

Stay away from sports talk radio.  It will have an adverse effect on your IQ.

det.png&h=60&w=60

Detroit Tigers

First 2022 MLB draft pick: No. 12 overall

Where their farm system ranks: No. 17 ($197 million)

Biggest system strengths: Up-the-middle position players

Biggest system needs: Starting pitching

How they typically draft: The Tigers aren't scared to take a prep pitcher; they also love arm speed and especially love SEC performance. In contrast to some of the more progressive clubs, the Tigers lean upside/risk at higher picks and play it safer with college types at later picks.

Best fits: I think the Tigers are steering away from prep arms this year at No. 12 overall, and the board is giving them college bats, mostly. At pick 51, I could see them taking an upside swing with prep CF Henry Bolte, prep RHP Walter Ford, prep SS Mikey Romero or SEC arms who recently underwent Tommy John in Mississippi State RHP Landon Sims or Florida LHP Hunter Barco.

Past five first-round picks: RHP Jackson Jobe (2021); 1B Spencer Torkelson (2020); OF Riley Greene (2019); RHP Casey Mize (2018); RHP Alex Faedo (2017)

11 hours ago, gkelly said:

No one is more delusional in all of sports than Detroit Lions fans.

I was worried that the pitchers would get hurt and that the hitters wouldn't be ready.  So negative.  

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

For what it's worth Jim Callis had mentioned Prielipp quite a bit during his Q&A on Twitter about Tigers draft. I honestly wouldn't hate the pick. Yes I know we are missing some impact bats now that Greene and Tork are graduated but the fact he already had TJ honestly makes him feel like less of a risk and you could probably get him for under slot. 

https://twitter.com/RoadtoDetroit/status/1547374067388497920?t=5XnxfAx_2IWbVeZMRClgRQ&s=19

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

My issue is that starting pitchers are getting used less and less so in turn their value is less and less so using an early pick on one seems like a waste. 

Like now teams are giving their SPs 175 innings a year max and in most cases around 150, considering you play roughly 1500 innings a year of baseball that is just a tiny fraction of innings that they effect in any given season. They'd almost have to turn out to be an ace to have any lasting effect on the team.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1