2022 MLB Draft

RandyMarsh

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I should have trademarked it.  Probably my only positive contribution at the old board.

That was great, we had the "Tank for Tork" thread a year prior, I never started the thread for Kumar who at the time we all thought was the prize of the draft but I couldn't think of a catchy name for it. Kudos to you for sure! 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Would have loved a top 5 pick this year. Well, top 6 since Kumar slipped in there. But the other 5 guys all look like they could be MONSTERS in MLB... (That includes Brooks Lee who is actually a top 5 talent this year... and the difference in talent in those top 5 position players is not much...)

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Would have loved a top 5 pick this year. Well, top 6 since Kumar slipped in there. But the other 5 guys all look like they could be MONSTERS in MLB... (That includes Brooks Lee who is actually a top 5 talent this year... and the difference in talent in those top 5 position players is not much...)

Yep, of course you never know with the MLB draft so perhaps a guy that slips to us could be a breakout guy but it seems like there is a big drop off in terms of potential high end talent after the first 5 or so picks in this draft. 

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

remember when they did this over the phone on a league wide conference call?  they'd get the whole thing done in a day or two, iirc.  all 40 rounds or however many they had back then.

They are milking it too long between. It's not college football where most have seen the guys/have tape. 30 minutes and they aren't even 10 picks in yet 

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

remember when they did this over the phone on a league wide conference call?  they'd get the whole thing done in a day or two, iirc.  all 40 rounds or however many they had back then.

I remember when there were two drafts (a smaller one in the winter) and you barely even know about them until they showed up in the transaction box in the paper the next morning.  

Aside from milking part and the fact that unlike in football and basketball where fans have more knowledge of the players being drafted I think one of the things that makes the MLB draft not as fun to watch as other drafts is the lack of trades. Watching those said drafts one of the exciting things is seeing if your team will move up/trade down pick up extra picks etc. it just isn't as exciting knowing that once you pick your done for that round. Basically means that you can turn it off after your team picks and not miss anything they do. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Aside from milking part and the fact that unlike in football and basketball where fans have more knowledge of the players being drafted I think one of the things that makes the MLB draft not as fun to watch as other drafts is the lack of trades. Watching those said drafts one of the exciting things is seeing if your team will move up/trade down pick up extra picks etc. it just isn't as exciting knowing that once you pick your done for that round. Basically means that you can turn it off after your team picks and not miss anything they do. 

Just need to avoid the 'uncomfortable interviews' part of the NBA draft - where a player is wearing the hat from one team answers all the questions positively - excited to be playing for team X etc - and then is told that he was traded to another team.