2022 MLB Draft

RandyMarsh

Of all of my issues with the Tigers front office, how they have drafted in the first round the past 10 years or so is pretty low. Now that they seem to have realized that drafting relievers in the first round is a bad idea. Even Jobe over Meyer talent wise was fairly close, it was the risk involved that most that don't like the pick question. 

They seem to target the best player available, and aren't afraid to pay full slot values or more to get the guy they want. Now that they want badly to win I hope they don't start targeting guys closer to the majors over guys with higher ceilings but further away.

19 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

If we're going to actually be a draft and development team, which I think every one of us in here, and hopefully in the Tigers Org, top-to-bottom, wants, then...

We're drafting both pitchers and position players. 

This is right. And as much as people complain about the lack of results from Mize/Manning, this year, the ability to pluck guys out of the minors to fill holes created by various injuries should be noted.

There's a good discussion to be had about whether they have drafted too many pitchers in the first round, but the idea that they can just live on acquiring pitchers mostly from other orgs seems unrealistic... Even the successful orgs draft and develop pitching prospects

Edited by mtutiger

From Fangraphs...

Full Report

Prielipp is a lefty with mid-90s heat and a plus-plus upper-80s slider. He was a little wild as a freshman but the arm strength was relatively new, and he became one of the early top-of-the-draft prospects for 2022. He dealt with a couple periods of injury culminating in Tommy John surgery late in May of 2021, which kept him out for the entire '22 season. He threw a bullpen for scouts near the end of the college calendar and then threw again at the Combine, in both instances sitting 92-94 mph (regularly 94 and up to 95 at the Combine) with a more consistently short arm action than he showed before he blew out. It's still a rough, fairly stiff mechanical look, but Prielipp's slider is arguably the best pitch in the whole draft. He comes with more relief risk than most of the other college pitchers who stand a chance to go in the first round, but if his peak pre-surgery velocities come back (he was sitting 97-99 at times), then he'll be a quick-moving back-of-the-bullpen type.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2022-mlb-draft/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0&pg=0&pageitems=10000000000000

Drafting a catcher high in the first round is just such an awful use of a draft pick.  It's such a taxing position that many teams want to move a great hitting catcher to 3rd base or something usually.  

I am also not a big fan of drafting a 1st baseman very high.  Good hitting first basemen are everywhere and unless the guy you pick is going to be that much better than the other ones, it is a terrible pick.  I know many of you think Torkelson is going to be a great hitter, but for using the top pick on him, he better be top 3 at his position starting very soon.  I am not just saying this because Torkelson is struggling but it's just a bad use of capital at that spot.  I know...I know...he was the consensus best pick in the draft so five or six posters don't need to point it out (even though some will).    Also, they are locked into that position, so if there is someone decent ahead of him, there isn't a spot for both of them.  Most aren't athletic or versatile enough to play other positions

I prefer to target outfielders, shortstops, or college pitchers.   You can never have enough pitching, and shortstops are usually able to play the other infield positions and can convert to outfield if needed.  There is always room for more outfield bats.

Gavin Cross -Good baseball name and sounds like he's a hitter.

Jace Jung - Alliteration is good, but his name is Jace.  He'll be overrated.  

Justin Crawford - Will be overrated because his father played.

Brock Porter - A pitcher with two last names.  That won't work.  

Cole Young - Again, two last names, but a hitter can get away with it.

Connor Prielipp - Just a terrible name and they are already talking reliever.  Forget about him.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

So lets draft ZERO pitchers and have minor league teams with no pitchers at all, just hitters.

That could be interesting, right?

When one drafts players , one can draft folks who  project to be pitchers, or one can draft a "just a guy" pitcher for organizational cannon fodder. The point of this is that roughly one out of three pitchers(maybe trending more now?) will have TJ surgery. One strategy is to sign a just a guy minor league pitcher, and build your staff from almostt exclusively FA signings. The idea is to manage your player development risk and to hand as much as possilbe of that off to someone else.

8 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

When one drafts players , one can draft folks who  project to be pitchers, or one can draft a "just a guy" pitcher for organizational cannon fodder. The point of this is that roughly one out of three pitchers(maybe trending more now?) will have TJ surgery. One strategy is to sign a just a guy minor league pitcher, and build your staff from almostt exclusively FA signings. The idea is to manage your player development risk and to hand as much as possilbe of that off to someone else.

I'm not interested in this philosophy.

At all.

24 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And I really don't want Susac, a catcher who isn't a very good catcher but has a decent bat. Not the profile I'm looking for...

Depends on the bat and since we may be getting an automated strike zone soon framing will matter less. I am interested to see if that changes things for what teams look for with regards to catchers. That being said I don't want Susac either.

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

8 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Depends on the bat and since we may be getting an automated strike zone soon framing will matter less. I am interested to see if that changes things for what teams look for with regards to catchers. That being said I don't want Susac either.

I’d avoid Susac, too.  Sounds like a guy who could be “Munsoned” (Eric).

Edited by Tenacious D

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

From Fangraphs...

Full Report

Prielipp is a lefty with mid-90s heat and a plus-plus upper-80s slider. He was a little wild as a freshman but the arm strength was relatively new, and he became one of the early top-of-the-draft prospects for 2022. He dealt with a couple periods of injury culminating in Tommy John surgery late in May of 2021, which kept him out for the entire '22 season. He threw a bullpen for scouts near the end of the college calendar and then threw again at the Combine, in both instances sitting 92-94 mph (regularly 94 and up to 95 at the Combine) with a more consistently short arm action than he showed before he blew out. It's still a rough, fairly stiff mechanical look, but Prielipp's slider is arguably the best pitch in the whole draft. He comes with more relief risk than most of the other college pitchers who stand a chance to go in the first round, but if his peak pre-surgery velocities come back (he was sitting 97-99 at times), then he'll be a quick-moving back-of-the-bullpen type.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2022-mlb-draft/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0&pg=0&pageitems=10000000000000

Fangraphs rankings are interesting; Quite a bit different from MLB and the Athletic.  🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

From Fangraphs...

Full Report

Also should be noted I remember hearing similar things about Skubal coming out about him being a RP more than a SP obviously he was a 9th round pick rather than a 1st but we have a relatively new instance in which we kept them as a SP but each person is different. 

5 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Fangraphs rankings are interesting; Quite a bit different from MLB and the Athletic.  🤷‍♂️ 

Notably having SS Peyton Graham and P Cade Horton (both Oklahoma) ranked very high.  I saw a mock (pre-CWS) that had us taking Graham in the 2nd round. 

Given it's a Tigers draft, I'll assume we'll draft the highest rated player who falls to us, and they'll likely either be:

A hard throwing right-hander with injury and control problems 

Or 

A right handed power bat with holes in their swing and problems with pitch recognition 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

This is not an endorsement of WWS but the guy they had on who seems to have decent credentials is saying he still thinks they take a bat at 12. 

All the speculation is kind of silly. They have their board, the top of which is most assuredly dominated by hitters, but it all depends on who goes before their pick, and then they'll take whoever is their highest rated player remaining.

• Like 1