Misc stuff that shouldn't be the way it is.......

gehringer_2

Champlain towers building had an emergency warning system. Security Guard didn't know how to use it. 7 minutes elapsed between the call to 911 and the building's collapse. Do the math..

The security guard in the lobby of Champlain Towers hurriedly dialed 911 to report the initial failure. An alarm may have sounded at that point in a limited part of the building, though it was clearly inaudible to many of those who still slept.

The building also had a sophisticated audio warning system designed to broadcast an alert into the bedrooms of every unit. But it was never triggered, newly available deposition testimony and interviews show, because the security guard had never been trained about the system and the single button needed to activate it.

“If I had known about it, I would have pressed it,” the security guard, Shamoka Furman, said in an interview.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/us/surfside-condo-collapse-alarm.html

That fate was sealed months before when the inspectors told them they needed to make repairs NOW.  It was only a matter of time.   They didn't want to make this really expensive repairs...................I am sure it was really expensive, but I bet it didn't cost $1 billion dollars like it does now.    Same mentality as the Catholic Church and Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan..........we'll just ignore it, everything is fine.  

That video of the water gushing into the basement 7 minutes before the collapse is pretty chilling. 

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think 7 minutes in the middle of the night would have been enough time to get anyone out of there.   You'd have to wake most of them up first  (not being sarcastic), this was at 1am, right?    But no excuse for not being trained.  

well, let's just say it's an experiment that should have been run.

• Like 1

This is probably where I should post about the edenville and sanford dams.   

FYI, it's the local taxpayers apparently footing the bill for the rebuild.   Because it was their fault and haven't sacrificed enough. 

I don't know how there isn't federal money for this.

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

This is probably where I should post about the edenville and sanford dams.   

FYI, it's the local taxpayers apparently footing the bill for the rebuild.   Because it was their fault and haven't sacrificed enough. 

I don't know how there isn't federal money for this.

See, the people that want to mock "Build Back Better" (only because it's Biden's phrase) don't seem to understand that if you don't, destruction. illness or even death will eventually happen.    Public Works aren't sexy, they're boring as hell, not like a shiny new building or stadium, but they make our lives better and provide a hell of a lot of jobs.    

I don't think anyone truly has any idea how many bridges we're driving on are just one mistake, or one missed inspection or one "we'll fix it later"  away from collapsing.   I think if we realized it, it would scare the hell out of us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DTE paying to name a music venue.  

Why? 

I know there are other energy options, but not really.   DTE didn't need the publicity.   Took the name of Pine Knob away for 20 years for something that wasn't needed and we probably had to pay that expense.   

Always seemed dumb to me

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

DTE paying to name a music venue.  

Why? 

I know there are other energy options, but not really.   DTE didn't need the publicity.   Took the name of Pine Knob away for 20 years for something that wasn't needed and we probably had to pay that expense.   

Always seemed dumb to me

You gotta spend out the marketing budget, or else they'll cut the budget for next year.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

What does everyone think about this? My understanding was when he/she entered college HE swam as a male and was very average. Then switched to womens and blows the ladies away. Is this fair to the women in NCAA swimming? 

It will never happen, but I think in the end, sex is genetics and gender is ultimately genes intersecting with social construct. If we understood it that way, most of this kind of dilemma goes away. You compete in the physical class your musculoskeletal-skeletal genes put you in, you live however you want gender wise or your brain happens to be wired by the genes that drive that. 

this requires a recognition that sex and gender are not necessarily coincident. I don’t think this is a widely held view, but I think it is reality. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/exclusive-korean-auto-giant-hyundai-investigating-child-labor-its-us-supply-2022-10-19/

DETROIT, Oct 19 (Reuters) - Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS), Korea's top automaker, is investigating child labor violations in its U.S. supply chain and plans to "sever ties" with Hyundai suppliers in Alabama found to have relied on underage workers, the company's global chief operating officer Jose Munoz told Reuters on Wednesday.

A Reuters investigative report in July documented children, including a 12-year-old, working at a Hyundai-controlled metal stamping plant in rural Luverne, Alabama, called SMART Alabama, LLC.

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/exclusive-korean-auto-giant-hyundai-investigating-child-labor-its-us-supply-2022-10-19/

DETROIT, Oct 19 (Reuters) - Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS), Korea's top automaker, is investigating child labor violations in its U.S. supply chain and plans to "sever ties" with Hyundai suppliers in Alabama found to have relied on underage workers, the company's global chief operating officer Jose Munoz told Reuters on Wednesday.

A Reuters investigative report in July documented children, including a 12-year-old, working at a Hyundai-controlled metal stamping plant in rural Luverne, Alabama, called SMART Alabama, LLC.

Just amazing.  That 12 year old wasn't harvesting cocoa beans on a plantation in Ghana...he was working in a God damn auto parts factory in Alabama.  I confess to not having read the Reuters report.

Imagine being shamed by Korea about labour standards.

Alabama and the states right around it do have the systemic exploitation of various types of labor embedded in their history, the memory of which can’t help but have seeped into their communal psyche. There’s probably been a lot of generational nostalgic reminiscence about it that’s been passed down. So in that sense, if it’s going to happen anywhere in America, it’s probably there.

• 1 month later...

Keystone drops 14,000 barrels of oil in a Kansis creek. Nothing to see here. That line in the Great Lakes? Why worry? Here, have a stock option. You'll feel better.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/keystone-pipeline-shut-after-oil-spill-into-kansas-creek-2022-12-08/

7 spills in 12 yrs of operation. Yeah - I know the US corporate and legal system isn't structured to do it, but people should be going to jail over shitty operations like this. That's the only way to stop it.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Keystone drops 14,000 barrels of oil in a Kansis creek. Nothing to see here. That line in the Great Lakes? Why worry? Here, have a stock option. You'll feel better.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/keystone-pipeline-shut-after-oil-spill-into-kansas-creek-2022-12-08/

7 spills in 12 yrs of operation. Yeah - I know the US corporate and legal system isn't structured to do it, but people should be going to jail over shitty operations like this. That's the only way to stop it.

It's an outrage the Democrats are so low as to create oil spills into real America. they would never do this to San Francisco or Chicago. They've already started murdering ordinary people, good people, God-fearing people, just because they're Republicans. Marjorie was right. God, she's so hot. I just wanna

• 3 months later...

so it turns out Kia and Hyundai have been selling cars into the US market without a standard theft deterent system and the situation has gotten bad enough that inurers like State Farm won't write comprensive policies for them.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/serious-problem-state-farm-progressive-213000996.html

Good example of why 'Caveat Emptor' is an insufficeint mechanism for regulating markets for modern technology. Who would even dream of asking about this stuff at the dealership?