Misc stuff that shouldn't be the way it is.......

gehringer_2

17 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

They say the problem has been corrected. Affected 2010-21 vehicles, 

Haven't bought a Korean car but in  terms of Korean manufacturing I am pretty much a fan of LG and Samsung products. Have never been disappointed with one.

Edited by gehringer_2

We shopped cars to replace an upcoming lease replacement recently also downsizing to one vehicle. Both KIA and Hyundai get very good reviews on the usual car sites.

We ended up with a non hybrid Santa Fe. Nice car, feels sturdy. My wife’s been averaging nearly 35 mph. Most of our driving is interstate or secondary roads. 

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Haven't bought a Korean car but in  terms of Korean manufacturing I am pretty much a fan of LG and Samsung products. Have never been disappointed with one.

My only issue with the Samsung washers and dryers is the damn son when they’re done

24 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

My only issue with the Samsung washers and dryers is the damn son when they’re done

LOL!!! Yes - first thing I did was try to see if that was programmable - no luck!

The funny thing is how you dismiss things as frills you end up using. I thought having my washing machine on my network was ridiculous and would not have paid for it if there had been an option not to, but having that notice come to my phone actually means I get laundry done quicker because I don't forget about it, even though the front loader runs longer cycles than the old top loader.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, smr-nj said:

And now, the nightmares will really begin. ☹️

Maybe, or maybe not. While AI has the potential for tremendous mischief it also has the potential to finally persuade people to stop believing what they see in electronic images, which to be honest, have been manipulated for us in some form or another since ~1948. Probably won't happen, but I can hope. 

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maybe, or maybe not. While AI has the potential for tremendous mischief it also has the potential to finally persuade people to stop believing what they see in electronic images, which to be honest, have been manipulated for us in some form or another since ~1948. Probably won't happen, but I can hope. 

Pipe dream that people will “stop believing”. 
But wouldn’t it be wonderful if they did?

People will believe what they want to be true. I’m fearful of something more localized. What if a disgruntled employee, student, or parent makes one of these about someone and we end up with some kind of vigilante justice?  Yeah I know…. I browse too many lifetime movie network listings.  Girl doesn’t make the cheerleading squad?  Jealous mom makes a video showing the girl who made the squad over her daughter in a compromising situation and if spreqds. Girl commits suicide. 

Young people that grow up with this stuff will learn how to distinguish real images from fake.  Sure people will still lie and deceive as they always have, but it won't be any worse than what we have today.  Look at all the people who believe every dumb thing they see on facebook or twitter now.  What about people who fall for e-mail and phone scams.  It's usually older people who are not savvy with technology.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Young people that grow up with this stuff will learn how to distinguish real images from fake.  Sure people will still lie and deceive as they always have, but it won't be any worse than what we have today.  Look at all the people who believe every dumb thing they see on facebook or twitter now.  What about people who fall for e-mail and phone scams.  It's usually older people who are not savvy with technology.  

The Rainmaker, Burt Lancaster, 1956 Photograph by Everett - Pixels

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That may happen too slowly for it to make a difference in time.

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

And even today's tech savvy youth will probably end up just a gullible as they get older as every preceeding generation.

Yes, They will not understand the next level of technology which they can't even imagine today.  

• 5 weeks later...

5 people dead because  ---- apparently because of a loophole in the law. 

Almost any kind of vehicle used to carry paying passengers operates under some kind of certification process: Buses, trains, boats, airplanes. But apparenty not submarines. Of course the owners of Titan wouldn't want to have to 'certify' it because that almost certainly would have required pressure testing the hull - probably to 150% of it's intended use pressure, and that would have been an expensive proposition - which by the way would also have certainly revealed the weakness in the design.

Hard to understand why they choose carbon fiber composite for the design of something that was going to be used in compression in the first place- maerketing? Fad engineering? Maybe to save cost handling it at the surface - (smaller cranes required etc). Carbon fiber provides no engineering  advantage over steel once the vessel is in the water.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 8 months later...

Courtesy of Greg Abbott, the big city has absorbed roughly 30,000 migrants shipped here during the past year. As a result, entire families perch on street corners and retail stores to panhandle. I see several each day when I am moving about the city. At my grocery store, there are usually four families perched there every time we go, one stationed at the end of each parking row closest to the front door.

I keep dollar bills in my car so that when I pull up to a traffic light and someone, usually a middle-aged man, walks down the line with a cup, I sometimes put a dollar in it, as long as he makes it all the way to my car and the light hasn’t changed to green yet. (Also, as long as he’s not smoking a cigarette. I draw a line at that.)

With the families, though, I’m not quite sure what to do. I gave a dollar a couple times as I normally have, and I’ve gotten an unbelieving look and a flat “thank” in response, as though it were woefully insufficient. Which, yeah, I know it is. I totally get that.

A couple times I gave two or three dollars, like, a dollar per person there, and I get the same response. Probably because when multiple bills folded, it still looks like a dollar to them, which looks woefully insufficient.

So, am I supposed to give them a five so that they can see it’s that and not just a single? Or a ten? That’s what I don’t know. So I usually end up giving nothing, and I feel like a jerk. But if I were to give five bucks to a family at the grocery store, I have three other families staring at me while I do it, and then I feel like a jerk for giving to one and not to all. It’s really uncomfortable either way. Am I really supposed to make a show of walking to each family and hand out twenty dollars to them panhandling outside the grocery store?

Plus, I’m not sure there’s not some sort of criminal gang behind the families forcing them to panhandle, taking the money away from them at the end of the day, and brutalizing them while they are out of our sight. That feels like a pretty likely scenario in at least some of the instances.

The best situation would be the families aren’t there in the first place, of course, but I wouldn’t want to co-sign onto whatever brutal tactic the city would have to employ to force them to stay away.

This is a bit of a problem and I’m not sure what my responsibility is here. #America2024

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

The best situation would be the families aren’t there in the first place,

Find a family service charity working the local problem, make one significant contribution and then stop feeling guilty about ignoring panhandling where in any American city, the actual disposition of anything offered is almost always a crapshoot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Find a family service charity working the local problem, make one significant contribution and then stop feeling guilty about ignoring panhandling where in any American city, the actual disposition of anything offered is almost always a crapshoot. 

I'm constitutionally unable to able to ignore the panhandlers without guilt pangs. I don't know why.