2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

She'll get her donors and support.

After tonight... there'll be a huge swing in money towards her and away from Trump. Plus some voices.

Book it.

Well hope so - no matter who emerges the more bruising the GOP fight the better for the remaining sane party.

Trump is probably on the phone offering her VP right now. Seriously, if you are Haley, given Trump's age and increasing evidence of decline, that might your surest route to the WH.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

... Plus they've already staked DeSantis to a big pot of $$ and have zero to show for it.

Different donors.

DeSantis donors: "Please give us Trump without the baggage."

Haley donors: "I will NOT vote MAGA 3 times in a row. I am NEVER TRUMP, Haley please show us something please."

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

She'll get her donors and support.

After tonight... there'll be a huge swing in money towards her and away from Trump. Plus some voices.

Book it.

This is what I’m hoping for. She actually fared better than I expected in this race. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

... Trump is probably on the phone offering her VP right now.

Fever Dream:

Trump on the phone right now... Telling MAGA "screw the Republicans, we'll form our OWN party. Let's call it the TRUMP Party! The ME Party? MAGA?"

Sadly I'm on the other side of this one.  I'm not sure this is enough of a performance to propel Haley forward in a stronger way.

I'm down with her staying in the race and creating ad content for Democrats on Trump though for a few more months, esp ones about how the dude is losing it and is also a loser 

Edited by pfife
  • Like 1

Just now, pfife said:

Sadly I'm on the other side of this one.  I'm not sure this is enough of a performance to propel Haley forward in a stronger way.

I'm down with her staying in the race and creating ad content for Democrats on Trump though for a few more months, esp ones about how the dude is losing it

Some analysts say Trump's support actual consolidates better when he is out of the public eye as much. Given his recent performances, keep him campaigning and feeding the "he's losing it" narrative with the uncommitted and independents.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Some analysts say Trump's support actual consolidates better when he is out of the public eye as much. Given his recent performances, keep him campaigning and feeding the "he's losing it" narrative with the uncommitted and independents.

Yep, I've definitely heard that analysis as well, and think it's true.   I think his ridiculousness gets memory-holed when he's out of public eye.

Another also related to what you're saying.... polling shows that among people who think they're both old doddering idiots, Biden wins those folks.  So its def advantageous for anyone to help portray trump as having a bunch of sr moments.

It's also good just from a typical primary of an incumbent standpoint, as he's effectively incumbent as you mentioned

I'm just not super sure she's in a better position to do that now than she was 4 hours ago.  I think she's not.

42 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Lots of good news for Biden tonight.  Trump stays in the race but Haley keeps in too.  She keeps dropping haymakers on Trump and the economy gets better and better for Biden.  

UM consumer survey, which everyone has been fixing on, is finally starting to turn upwards  ~10 point jump in Jan.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Some analysts say Trump's support actual consolidates better when he is out of the public eye as much. 

I believe that would apply to Biden or Trump. Biden’s low profile prior to 2020 wasn’t an accident. 

• Like 1

Anyone who’s even thinking that Donald Trump is going to stop at this “four more years” is delusional, or just not paying attention.. He will have them beginning the process of repealing the 22nd amendment on his second day in office. (he already has day one planned, so he’ll have to wait till the second day for this.). 
He will be president for life…. He will leave that Oval Office in a ridiculously ornate orange/golden casket, wait, no…. It will likely be a glass coffin so we can keep him in plain view, confirming that he’s not coming back.  
I say make him part of the border wall.

22 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Anyone who’s even thinking that Donald Trump is going to stop at this “four more years” is delusional, or just not paying attention.. He will have them beginning the process of repealing the 22nd amendment on his second day in office. (he already has day one planned, so he’ll have to wait till the second day for this.). 
He will be president for life…. He will leave that Oval Office in a ridiculously ornate orange/golden casket, wait, no…. It will likely be a glass coffin so we can keep him in plain view, confirming that he’s not coming back.  
I say make him part of the border wall.

I am not worried about that because Obama would kick his ass in 2028. 

Not sure about Biden this year.  

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I'm down with her staying in the race and creating ad content for Democrats on Trump though for a few more months, esp ones about how the dude is losing it and is also a loser 

The longer she can stay in...

The more chances the loser starts sinking into his own cesspool.

He's already there... but if voters keep running away from his stench and towards Haley... She could still apply the knockout punch and deny him even the nomination.

I'm not pinning any hopes on that... And it's not even close to that at the moment...

But his stench has already risen to a certain level: not quite half of Republican voters or Republican-leaning Independents voted NOT for him. (This was true in Iowa, not just NH...). Just a little more stench, and more heading for the Exits away from Trump would work.

I would kill for him to lose the nomination itself.

Pretty impressive turnout for a primary. It looks like about 300K votes cast in the GOP primary. Trump totaled 365K in the 2020 general election. The unknown is how many of the 400K that voted for Biden in 2020 crossed over for Haley.

OTOH, another way to look at it is that 365K voted for Trump in 2020 and only ~175K came out for him today. I suppose whether that is good or bad depends on how it compares to historical NH primary vs general total ratios. But the Trump voter is supposedly highly motivated.

11 hours ago, pfife said:

I think it's over as well and eventually she'll bend the knee too.

Until then though, I would love to see her attack like she finally did last night.  Every republican/independent voter that thought about voting for Trump, but decides to just stay home in this upcoming election because Haley soured them on Trump, is a potential vote for her in 4 years.  

18 minutes ago, pfife said:

This is bad.  He literally says Tiny D won't be investigated b/c he dropped out.

Two of Trump’s lapdogs are serving as props for him in the piece. Tim Scott, chosen by Haley to serve from SC in the U.S. Senate, smiles approvingly of Trumps criticism of her. What a pathetic case. He is apparently under the illusion that Trump gives a sh*t about him. These morons will be the next Cohen, Meadows, Rudy, and on and on. 

53 minutes ago, pfife said:

This is bad.  He literally says Tiny D won't be investigated b/c he dropped out.

It can be interpreted two ways.   Because he is a whiney little bitch, I think he was saying that Democrats will investigate Haley if she wins.  They won't need to investigate DeSantis because he is a loser already.  Like the mob boss that he is though, he sent a double message.  

Edited by Tiger337