7/5 7:10 Guardians @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tigers currently on a 67 win pace, need to go 47-35(.573%)  the rest of the way to get to the 80 win mark that many of us targeted preseason.  

They “could” get there. The path is not very clear unless we start digging into Single A pitching talent soon.

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tigers currently on a 67 win pace, need to go 47-35(.573%)  the rest of the way to get to the 80 win mark that many of us targeted preseason.  

It's not impossible and hope springs eternal that Torkelson will make an impact.  He's the missing link right now.

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I doubt I will watch the all-star game, but Cabrera does seem like the right choice if the have pick someone.  He has been their only consistent hitter all year.  

I don't watch them any more either, they lost any significance when interleague play became so prevalent.  But it would be nice for Cabrera to play in one more.

38 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't watch them any more either, they lost any significance when interleague play became so prevalent.  But it would be nice for Cabrera to play in one more.

Between interleague play, players switching teams so much and just the overall ease you can access baseball games/highlights takes away the novelty of it. It was before my time but I'd imagine it was a huge deal prior to all of this when you may only get to see certain players from the other league during that game or if they made World Series. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Between interleague play, players switching teams so much and just the overall ease you can access baseball games/highlights takes away the novelty of it. It was before my time but I'd imagine it was a huge deal prior to all of this when you may only get to see certain players from the other league during that game or if they made World Series. 

Oh yeah, just seeing all the different uniforms was so exciting, and seeing all the guys from the other league. Unfortunately, in the 1960's it meant that the American League was going to lose, because they were about 10 years behind the National League in terms of signing and developing Black players, the talent gap was enormous.  But still, great fun to watch.

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah, it was a pretty big deal and something I actually looked forward to.  There were so few games on TV back in the 70s that the Saturday afternoon and Monday Night games of the week were big events too.  They hardly ever showed the Tigers except '76 when Fidrych was pitching, so I always hoped to see the Big Red Machine.  

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I hope so.  It's a tough decision on Grossman but it's time to let him go.  Baddoo and Greene are the 2 most exciting players in the organization.

And then you have WCastro, Meadows, Reyes, Hill and Cameron. Baddoo seems like the type of player who needs regular at bats to stay sharp. Kind of a logjam of middling players.

10 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I hope so.  It's a tough decision on Grossman but it's time to let him go.  Baddoo and Greene are the 2 most exciting players in the organization.

I don't think it's gonna happen now because I suspect he's seen, at least theoretically, as a trade chip. But if he's still treading water (or worse) later in the month and Baddoo is still stinging the ball down in Toledo, it's hard to justify keeping him on the team.

I suspect they think they can get a lottery ticket for Grossman at a minimum, but IDK.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I don't think it's gonna happen now because I suspect he's seen, at least theoretically, as a trade chip. But if he's still treading water (or worse) later in the month and Baddoo is still stinging the ball down in Toledo, it's hard to justify keeping him on the team.

I suspect they think they can get a lottery ticket for Grossman at a minimum, but IDK.

I agree, they won't do it.  I think that there is a school of thought in front offices that if you release veteran players, "free agents won't want to sign here".  Which is completely false, free agents sign for the most money, or to play for a World Series winner.  They wouldn't ever care if you had released an underperformer like Grossman.  But anyway, yes they are probably deluding themselves that any other team would give up anything of value for him.

8 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I agree, they won't do it.  I think that there is a school of thought in front offices that if you release veteran players, "free agents won't want to sign here".  Which is completely false, free agents sign for the most money, or to play for a World Series winner.  They wouldn't ever care if you had released an underperformer like Grossman.  But anyway, yes they are probably deluding themselves that any other team would give up anything of value for him.

The Reds did take Nick Quintana for Tucker Barnhart, and the Tigers did get Reese Olson for Daniel Norris, so maybe there's hope.

My thought though is that, post deadline, they need to figure out a way to move on.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And then you have WCastro, Meadows, Reyes, Hill and Cameron. Baddoo seems like the type of player who needs regular at bats to stay sharp. Kind of a logjam of middling players.

It's true, a lot of guys on that list want playing time, but I think that the verdict is in on Castro, Hill and Cameron.  They are sub-.700 guys, and you just can't have people like that in the outfield unless they are Gary Pettis.  Reyes is a solid 4th, and Meadows is a guy who should contribute if he can stop getting bitten by snakes.

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

It's true, a lot of guys on that list want playing time, but I think that the verdict is in on Castro, Hill and Cameron.  They are sub-.700 guys, and you just can't have people like that in the outfield unless they are Gary Pettis.  Reyes is a solid 4th, and Meadows is a guy who should contribute if he can stop getting bitten by snakes.

But we can't carry 8 outfielders. 5 would be pushing it. IF they were ever all healthy at the same time. Release/trade Grossman? Stash Hill and Cameron in Toledo? Meadows needs to find his power stroke, he's not on the team for his defense or speed.