General Tsao's Cold War

romad1

a colleague from the local Softball league is in Taiwan.  I asked him if he heard the former President's words about not defending Taiwan.   He hadn't.  I guess the local media suppressed that.  

On 1/21/2024 at 6:13 PM, romad1 said:

a colleague from the local Softball league is in Taiwan.  I asked him if he heard the former President's words about not defending Taiwan.   He hadn't.  I guess the local media suppressed that.  

I think our media is suppressing that.

• 1 month later...

Today’s WSJ -

WASHINGTON—A congressional probe of Chinese-built cargo cranes deployed at ports throughout the U.S. has found communications equipment that doesn’t appear to support normal operations, fueling concerns that the foreign machines may pose a covert national-security risk.

The installed components in some cases include cellular modems, according to congressional aides and documents, that could be remotely accessed.

The discovery of the modems by lawmakers, which hasn’t been previously reported, has added to concerns in Washington about port security and China. The Pentagon and intelligence officials at other agencies in the Biden administration have grown increasingly alarmed by the potential threat of disruption and espionage presented by the giant cranes built by ZPMC, a China-based manufacturer that accounts for nearly 80% of ship-to-shore cranes in use at U.S. ports. 

The Chinese government “is looking for every opportunity to collect valuable intelligence and position themselves to exploit vulnerabilities by systematically burrowing into America’s critical infrastructure, including in the maritime sector,” said Rep. Mark Green (R., Tenn.), chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, which has been investigating Chinese maritime security threats. “The United States has clearly overlooked this threat for far too long.”

Over a dozen cellular modems were found on crane components in use at one U.S. port, and another modem was found inside another port’s server room, according to a committee aide. Some of the modems had active connections to operational components to the cranes, the aide said.

Edited by 1776

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Today’s WSJ -

WASHINGTON—A congressional probe of Chinese-built cargo cranes deployed at ports throughout the U.S. has found communications equipment that doesn’t appear to support normal operations, fueling concerns that the foreign machines may pose a covert national-security risk.

I'll await a second look on this before I get too excited. A lot of sophisticated and expensive equipment like this has communication equipment built in to notify operators or owners, or even the manufacturer's tech service dept if the on board diagnostics detects something while the equipment is unattended. It might be a little ambiguous where the line really is between service ware and spy ware and probably has as much to do with the SW on board as the hardware installed.

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)

So, we are close to turning off Tik Tok.  

Analogous situation maybe:  Soviet Union owns ABC or NBC and Nielson and the US Postal Service in 1965. 

Edited by romad1

• 1 month later...

as a reminder, Apple just cleared multiple non-PRC social media apps from their stores in the PRC.  You can't use Whatsapp, Signal, Threads and others. 

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/04/china-orders-apple-to-remove-meta-apps-after-inflammatory-posts-about-president

The Wall Street Journal paraphrased a person familiar with the matter as saying that the Chinese cyberspace agency "asked Apple to remove WhatsApp and Threads from the App Store because both contain political content that includes problematic mentions of the Chinese president [Xi Jinping]."

I have zero problems taking Tiktok away from the CCP.