08/12/2022 7:10 EDT Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox

casimir

17 hours ago, casimir said:

Norris is going tonight?  I tell you what, I just got back from the beach, traveling via van, and I feel absolutely zen as hell.  I’m stoked for tonight.  I’m calling 8-2 victory tonight.  Jump on the bandwagon early, seats are still available, but we set sail promptly at 7:10p.

Only a couple of grand slams short.

Miguel is 2 for his last 35 and can barely run. And he was thrown out on a play in the 9th that almost everyone else in the league would have at least had a chance to beat out.

He's a legend obviously, but there's basically nothing exciting about his play right now. When you look at this team's body of work over the past 10 games, he's a feature of that that stretch, not an exception.

Maybe Kerry Carpenter isn't ready for prime time and never will be. But at least trying different guys out when you are 28 games under .500 can engender at least a modicum of hope in the fanbase. And get used to it... I suspect the team will be doing more of it for evaluation purposes as well.

I love Miguel, but there's no hope remaining there. It just is what it is.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Miguel is 2 for his last 35 and can barely run. And he was thrown out on a play in the 9th that almost everyone else in the league would have at least had a chance to beat out.

He's a legend obviously, but there's basically nothing exciting about his play right now. When you look at this team's body of work over the past 10 games, he's a feature of that that stretch, not an exception.

Maybe Kerry Carpenter isn't ready for prime time and never will be. But at least trying different guys out when you are 28 games under .500 can engender at least a modicum of hope in the fanbase. And get used to it... I suspect the team will be doing more of it for evaluation purposes as well.

I love Miguel, but there's no hope remaining there. It just is what it is.

then put him on the IL if he's hurt.  

five years ago miggy isnt beating that out either.  miggy has been slow as fuck for almost a decade.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

then put him on the IL if he's hurt.

That would be the best thing right now.  Let him get his legs healthy, do whatever procedures need to be taken care of right now.  Hopefully he can be a league average hitter with better mobility next season.  Sending him out there every other game right now and shorting the bench a healthy body doesn't make sense.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

That would be the best thing right now.  Let him get his legs healthy, do whatever procedures need to be taken care of right now.  Hopefully he can be a league average hitter with better mobility next season.  Sending him out there every other game right now and shorting the bench a healthy body doesn't make sense.

well, that is the thing. On the very few occasions where he could push off the back leg, he was still able to drive the ball and be productive but it only lasts a day or two.  But apparently there is nothing that can be done for the knee. Well, losing 40 lbs would probably help it immeasurably, but the last time Miguel lost serious weight it didn't go well with the bat and he claimed he had lost his hitting leverage so I don't think he sees losing significant weight as an option - assuming he still even could. He needs to hang 'em up.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

i thought they were planning on playing him only a couple days a week now?

if he's hurt he belongs on the ir, but i thought they were no longer sending him out there every other day?

of course, if he is hurt, even that's too much.

I dont care if every other guy on this team sucks worse than Miggy.  It is a particular embarrassment to see him continue to play, given what he used to be.

Please, please, please retire this guy.

If he is on the team and is on track to have more than 100 PAs next year, I will not watch.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i thought they were planning on playing him only a couple days a week now?

if he's hurt he belongs on the ir, but i thought they were no longer sending him out there every other day?

of course, if he is hurt, even that's too much.

Yes, he's unhealthy and ineffective.  The latter might improve based on getting the former resolved, but for some reason, the Tigers/Cabrera seem unmoved to the health issue.

Put him on the IL, let him travel with the team, he can still be in the dugout throwing sunflower seeds at teammates or making balloon animals or whatever for the cameras.  Its gotten to the point where he's getting to be a sideshow and well past the point of being an effective baseball player.  Any incremental milestones he hit from here on out really don't do anything for his resume.  He's a hall of famer.  But he looks like AAAA material that can't actually move around on the field of play anymore.

• Like 1

Hey I love old timers games as much as the next guy.

Lets bring back Pudge, Polanco, Guillen, Inge, Grandy.  C-Mo and Thames can suit up too.  

Nate can bring the Big League Chew, Kenny can bring whatever green stuff he needs for better grip.

I actually would rather watch these guys play and old timers game than to see Miggy continue with the actual club.