2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

A hoodie here, a t-shirt there.  I'm buying into the various collectives. 

I kid just because so many people just seem to assume there is a money press just sitting unused in the basement of Schembechler Hall.  To paraphrase Dave Dombrowski "You try to raise that money!"  😱

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I kid just because so many people just seem to assume there is a money press just sitting unused in the basement of Schembechler Hall.  To paraphrase Dave Dombrowski "You try to raise that money!"  😱

Difference between the executive of a Fortune 500 company who has alimony payments and has to keep up appearances and the propane dealer down the holler's ability to stroke checks? 

Not to pile onto Michigan State, but if they can find two donors to pay Mel friggin Tucker $95MM, I have serious doubts that Michigan Athletics is just simply incapable of calling up some of their closest friends and saying "hey Mr. 5* needs your support!"... If anything, I would think the richy rich types that make up large donor bases would be more inclined to pony up NIL money, in a twisted sense of getting to see that 5* make plays for Michigan from their box suite at The Big House, as opposed to the money going into the big pot that helps pay for the receptionist at Schembechler Hall and the Track and Field team's bussing to road meets.

It would require new institutional systems of administration and oversight, and a year or two of implementation, but isn't administration, oversight, and fanciful projects what every university does best?

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

is just simply incapable of calling up some of their closest friends and saying "hey Mr. 5* needs your support!"...

I really don't know MC. I think most big donors want to leave a mark - some kind of legacy - brick and mortar, building with their names, plaques on the wall, a fellowship they come as award every year. I really do wonder how excited they are going to be about putting a porsche in the next Neon Deion's parking space. That was my question up thread. I think places that already have a well developed booster culture around them are going to do a lot better at having people ready to spend on that kind of expense. The Tucker funding was a black swan, much like Ross's 100M. Those are one time - you aren't going to be able to run an onging program on that kind of basis.

(Dept of useless information: People in Europe and the US use 'black swan' as a metaphor for a rare event, but black swans are actually quite common in Australia)

image.jpeg.16091b3ab14b73e029c2b92c761395e6.jpeg

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I really don't know MC. I think most big donors want to leave a mark - some kind of legacy - brick and mortar, building with their names, plaques on the wall, a fellowship they come as award every year. I really do wonder how excited they are going to be about putting a porsche in the next Neon Deion's parking space. That was my question up thread. I think places that already have a well developed booster culture around them are going to do a lot better at having people ready to spend on that kind of expense. The Tucker funding was a black swan, much like Ross's 100M. Those are one time - you aren't going to be able to run an onging program on that kind of basis.

(Dept of useless information: People in Europe and the US use 'black swan' as a metaphor for a rare event, but black swans are actually quite common in Australia)

And if you mess with Canadian geese in Europe you will suffer.  Canada isn't sending their UN Peacekeepers there.  

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

nyah, sec schools come up with millions every year.  

every.  single.  year.

you think michigan donors dont have the money sec donors do?  and dont give me any holier than thou michigan bullshit about how youre graduates are smarter or better than them.  

michigan donors have been dying to spend money for years, the admin wont let them.  thats the only thing holding them back.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

michigan donors have been dying to spend money for years, the admin wont let them.  thats the only thing holding them back.

Buddha, I don't believe you are even close. The university can already find a million ways for anyone with a nickel who wants to spend it on the U to do it. Their fundraising budget is probably bigger than some schools whole budget. The idea that there is a hidden mob somewhere just waiting to write checks is fanboy wishful thinking fantasy. I bet at least 9 of every 10 dollars that end up in NIL will be $$ that come out of funds they now getting for something else.

UM does fundraising by the Billons. You don't do that by leaving many stones unturned.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Buddha, I don't believe you are even close. The university can already find a million ways for anyone with a nickel who wants to spend it on the U to do it. Their fundraising budget is probably bigger than some schools whole budget. The idea that there is a hidden mob somewhere just waiting to write checks is fanboy wishful thinking fantasy. I bet at least 9 of every 10 dollars that end up in NIL will be $$ that come out of funds they now getting for something else.

UM does fundraising by the Billons. You don't do that by leaving many stones unturned.

so how do sec schools come up with the money?  how does oregon do it?

g2, they are being MICHIGAN about nil.  they are abiding by the letter of the law, which says you cannot promise money to recruits to get them to come to your school.  every other school is doing it, michigan refuses to do it.

nyck harbor went to south carolina because they promised him millions.  michigan wouldnt do it and so he didnt come here.  

but in your world, michigan somehow cant compete with all that south carolina gamecock alumni money.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

g2, they are being MICHIGAN about nil.  they are abiding by the letter of the law, which says you cannot promise money to recruits to get them to come to your school.  every other school is doing it, michigan refuses to do it.

nyck harbor went to south carolina because they promised him millions.  michigan wouldnt do it and so he didnt come here.  

but in your world, michigan somehow cant compete with all that south carolina gamecock alumni money.

Michigan alums are willing to spend a lot of money, and they do. But they have been plugged into a different kind of fundraising for generations. You aren't going to move that donor base into a different philosophical stance in 12 months. More importantly, you ignore that there are very powerful interests within the University  - at least as powerful as the AD, that have no interest in seeing any of the money they get now go anywhere else. It's naive to ignore the pressures the university as a total institution faces from all it's non-athletic stakeholders.

The fans want desperately to believe that all UM has to do is flip a switch and tomorrow they are suddenly competitive with Georgia because that the way fans want to think. Manuel has no easy hill to climb.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Michigan alums are willing to spend a lot of money, and they do. But they have been plugged into a different kind of fundraising for generations. You aren't going to move that donor base into a different philosophical stance in 12 months. More importantly, you ignore that there are very powerful interests within the University  - at least as powerful as the AD, that have no interest in seeing any of the money they get now go anywhere else. It's naive to ignore the pressures the university as a total institution faces from all it's non-athletic stakeholders.

The fans want desperately to believe that all UM has to do is flip a switch and tomorrow they are suddenly competitive with Georgia because that the way fans want to think. Manuel has no easy hill to climb.

and you dont think alums of sec schools have been tapped in the same manner?  all schools alumni have been tapped.

dont be so arrogant, michigan man.  lol.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like there is a tier of donors between the mega-donors who get buildings named after them and the people like me who laugh in the face of donation requests (as if the outrageous amount I pay/paid in tuition isn't enough).

I think every major program, whether they have a booster program in place like USC and Ohio State, or don't, like Michigan and Michigan State, can find a base willing to give for this purpose. You might have to be creative about it, like the fellowship idea. If a donor is willing to give $40,000 yearly for the "Gehringer_2 Scholarship" that goes to Buster B. Brainiac, I'm sure a subset would be willing to allocate that money instead to the "Gehringer_2 NIL Fellowship" that goes to Alan A. Athlete.

Like I said though, I'm the type that will never give my schools a dime after I'm out. Maybe I'm not in tune enough with those who would and do... Even if I ever was in a position to do so, I would probably give to the local community college where I went to start, where $40,000 can make a huge difference in 10-20 students lives, who are low-income, minorities, first-generation, have kids of their own, have a criminal record, etc., instead of making a small difference for one year for one student-athlete or one triple legacy.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like there is a tier of donors between the mega-donors who get buildings named after them and the people like me who laugh in the face of donation requests (as if the outrageous amount I pay/paid in tuition isn't enough).

I think every major program, whether they have a booster program in place like USC and Ohio State, or don't, like Michigan and Michigan State, can find a base willing to give for this purpose. You might have to be creative about it, like the fellowship idea. If a donor is willing to give $40,000 yearly for the "Gehringer_2 Scholarship" that goes to Buster B. Brainiac, I'm sure a subset would be willing to allocate that money instead to the "Gehringer_2 NIL Fellowship" that goes to Alan A. Athlete.

this is certainly what they hope. My only argument with Buddha is that as I see it they have to go out and beat the bushed to find those folks, and it's going to be a significant effort. My argument is with people who think they have a queue of people knocking down the door and they have just been snubbing them out 'arrogance' or some such. I think that is an unrealisitic take. The U has very little pride when it comes to taking money. 😂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is certainly what they hope. My only argument with Buddha is that as I see it they have to go out and beat the bushed to find those folks, and it's going to be a significant effort. My argument is with people who think they have a queue of people knocking down the door and they have just been snubbing them out 'arrogance' or some such. I think that is an unrealisitic take. The U has very little pride when it comes to taking money. 😂

every media person who is plugged into the athletic department disagrees with you.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

every media person who is plugged into the athletic department disagrees with you.

but that's the point. They are plugged into the AD. It's a silo and an echo chamber for the coaches.

Just consider the motivations for a minute. If you are Harbaugh, you want the world to think what you want is easy to get, that's how you put pressure on the admin to get it for you. Don't look to people who live by PR for truth - only agendas.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Like I said though, I'm the type that will never give my schools a dime after I'm out. Maybe I'm not in tune enough with those who would and do... Even if I ever was in a position to do so, I would probably give to the local community college where I went to start, where $40,000 can make a huge difference in 10-20 students lives, who are low-income, minorities, first-generation, have kids of their own, have a criminal record, etc., instead of making a small difference for one year for one student-athlete or one triple legacy.

Buster sounds like a heck of a guy.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, buddha said:

Buddha, I hope they find a way to do great under the new rules, but aside from the conversational value of being the Debbie downer about the program,  it does strike me that over a long series of years, recruiting rules have changed, academic requirements have changed, scholarship limits have changed, etc.,  and at many of these junctures there was great optimism that MI or the B10 in general would now have a more level playing field against the southern heathens, but it never happens. I find it hard to envision a future where Northern Midwestern schools ever catch up with the schools in the South no matter how the system changes. The overall reason is always the same  - that HS and College football is a bigger deal across the South than it is in the North. Has been for decades and I don't see much reason to think it will change. (If anything, HS FB in the Midwest and West coast continues to get weaker.) People go to FB games in the North, and they watch them on TV in big enough numbers, but you just don't get the same kind of pressure from the inside. Do you think Harbaugh could have lasted through the OSU losses for as many years as he did if he were coaching Alabama and was losing to LSU? He'd have been gone in the 3rd yr probably. So I think no matter what you do, that MI, MSU, Neb, WI or even PSU anymore, can vault into into consistent SEC style powerhouse status seem unlikely to me. OSU is the outlier, but OSU is less than 100 miles from the KY border. Their 'Southerness' is almost the B10 exception that proves the rule.

And on top of that you lay the inescapable overlay of the warm whether recruiting advantage.