2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Ask him what weird food -- that the average person would be disgusted with -- did he grew addicted to in BC?  Or ask him what that is for Michigan.   I think the weird idiosyncratic stuff is getting harder and harder to identify. 

Somewhat related, I'm almost dismayed to see the "Detroit-style" pizza being lauded all over the place when it wasn't really what I grew up eating in Livonia.   But the thing I get when I go back to Michigan, Almond Boneless Chicken is non-existent anywhere outside the bubble of the Detroit suburbs.  When I introduced this "wonder dish" to my buddy from upstate NY he was [shrugs] "what the hell is the big deal?"

Speaking of pizza, I was at Buddy’s the other day and I’m happy to report they are back.   There was a time in 2021 where they were really struggling.  Their restaurants that used to have an hour wait at all times were completely empty, the menu had been cut down to just pizza and salad, and staff was minimal.   It seemed that just as “Detroit Style” was finding a niche all across the county,  the original was going to go out of business.   Everything is normal again and glad to see they were back going strong.  Don’t sleep on their chicken tenders.  They’re not just for 6 year olds.  

As for almond boneless chicken, I think maybe it’s just a Michigan thing, and possibly even just metro Detroit.  It’s still there at the many excellent Chinese restaurants in the Farmington/Farmington Hills area that I like to frequent.  

Edited by Hongbit

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Speaking of pizza, I was at Buddy’s the other day and I’m happy to report they are back.   There was a time in 2021 where they were really struggling.  Their restaurants that used to have an hour wait at all times were completely empty, the menu had been cut down to just pizza and salad, and staff was minimal.   It seemed that just as “Detroit Style” was finding a niche all across the county,  the original was going to go out of business.   Everything is normal again and glad to see they were back going strong.  Don’t sleep on their chicken tenders.  They’re not just for 6 year olds.  

As for almond boneless chicken, I think maybe it’s just a Michigan thing, and possibly even just metro Detroit.  It’s still there at the many excellent Chinese restaurants in the Farmington/Farmington Hills area that I like to frequent.  

Buddy's is legit great.  My kids who grew up in Virginia really love our Buddy's visits when we hit the Detroitoplex.  

The ABC thing is still available.  It's a thing from the days of Cantonese diaspora restaurants who had to accommodate midwestern tastes... newly immigrant Chinese places around Northern Virginia cannot fathom the concept of large chunks of battered boneless chicken breast on a bed of rice and lettuce with some goopy sauce.   

What’s going on here?  

Someone here joked after the Santa/Harbaugh tweet exchange that Ono did but Jim never did actually saying he was definitely coming back.  

This is crazy if true that he secretly took a 2nd meeting with the Broncos owner last week.  What is with this guy.   Does there come a point where people finally get tired of his schtick and stop giving credence to anything that comes out of his mouth.   

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Does there come a point where people finally get tired of his schtick and stop giving credence to anything that comes out of his mouth.   

Pretty much past that already for some of us.(🤔) but TBF, if the Bronco's wanted an 'after action' interview, maybe just to talk to Jim about how he saw how their process was being conducted,  I wouldn't see any problem with that. I think the headline writer was pretty strongly click baiting in talking 'no deal'. He doesn't know if  'deal' was even a topic in the discussion given what was actually reported about the meeting in the story about Harbaugh having 'taken himself' out of consideration.

Edited by gehringer_2

According to Sam Webb Harbaugh is telling recruits he is coming back. He just met with Nykolas Harbor this past week, the #6 overall recruit in the 2023 cycle. He needed the university to step up on a few things and they are going to. 

I believe his threatening to leave will ultimately help the Wolverines in the long run. Apparently Warde didn't want to compete with other programs on NIL because he didn't think it was sustainable. 

14 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

because he didn't think it was sustainable. 

Warde has at least a 50/50 on being right there. We shall see.

I tend to see NIL as basically a legalization of booster money. The schools that are going to excel at it are schools with a deep tradition of booster networks, especially those that have always skirted the rules to funnel money though them illicitly. UM has a lot of 'donors', but the question is how much different is the psycological profile of a 'donor' from a 'booster'? Do people who love to give money to the institution and to have their names on things in it and the be remembered in it really want to give that same money to make an 18yr rich who won't be bothered to give him the time of day in 4yrs? The other question is does the University as a *whole* even want them to? Will we see the development staffs of other units within the University fundraising the same sources in direct competition with the AD's NIL fund raisers?

People assume a lot of things are a lot simpler than they may really be.

Edited by gehringer_2

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Jim Harbaugh and his constant bullshit.  Just leave.    My life will be just fine without you. 

Harbaugh can stay or go, it doesn't solve the U's bigger problem of how to position itself wrt and manage NIL. Harbaugh is simply the catalyst forcing the issue, but any other coach in his place would undoubtedly be trying to pull all the same levers of his institutional clout in the same ways to get the same things.

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Harbaugh can stay or go, it doesn't solve the U's bigger problem of how to position itself wrt and manage NIL. Harbaugh is simply the catalyst forcing the issue, but any other coach in his place would undoubtedly be trying to pull all the same levers of his institutional clout in the same ways to get the same things.

I think Harbaugh, based on his name & success at both the NFL & college, can have more success in forcing those issues than another coach would have, especially at UM. 

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

I think Harbaugh, based on his name & success at both the NFL & college, can have more success in forcing those issues than another coach would have, especially at UM. 

Harbaugh threatening to walk might be higher leverage than Brady Hoke threatening to walk - no doubt, but that leverage is still pretty limited to the athletic dept and possibly what ever Regents are sympathetic to sports (and this is probablty the biggest key to what and how much happens). Beyond that the AthleticDept at UM is pretty completely siloed from the rest of the Unversity and you could re-incarnate a composite of Knute Rockne and Bo and the rest of the University would probably give you a big shrug about it.

Edited by gehringer_2

NCAA is preparing new measures in its attempt to crack down on NIL in recruiting.   Uncertain if they will try and retroactively punish some of the schools for events that have happened in the last 2 recruiting cycles or if they will try from this point forward.  Either way they will probably fail like they always do.  It’s the NCAA.

26 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

NCAA is preparing new measures in its attempt to crack down on NIL in recruiting.   Uncertain if they will try and retroactively punish some of the schools for events that have happened in the last 2 recruiting cycles or if they will try from this point forward.  Either way they will probably fail like they always do.  It’s the NCAA.

“We exist too!” -NCAA

On 1/30/2023 at 6:16 PM, Hongbit said:

The NCAA needs a colonoscopy so we can finally figure out what's up their asses.   

Go away, you're pointless.  

54 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I wonder if you are better off putting less emphasis on the high school class and concentrating on the transfer portal. The kid is at least a year older, you probably have some actual tape of him against other college players, he has been in a college strength program for a year.

You need to be doing both. It's true there will be some guys who maybe weren't ready but still have the potential to bloom, but you still have large numbers of  top guys who go to good programs and win starting jobs and they mostly are not going to show up in the portal. Once you lose them you aren't going to get another shot at them.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

LOL

People won't want to see it, but don't forget that one possible outcome is that the Big Ten does not try to become the 2nd super conference to the SEC but instead is building size and adding Pac schools exactly so they don't have to. Maybe they are trying to go back to where things were in the 60's and 70's where they simply didn't play or compete with the Southern conferences. With enough big popular traditional programs they can make a lot of money sticking to internal scheduling and running up winning records internally. Then  as long as the playoff invite is wide enough they still get their playoff invites, take their losses (and football being football, they will win a few) and on it goes with all the 5*s going where the big money is but not very much to the B1G. Could be that is the kind of difference in the future seen by Warde Manuel and Jim Harbaugh. Now don't everybody get your panties in a bunch - I'm just spitballing - but just to make the point that none of us know where college revenue sports are going to be in 5-10 yrs -- there could be lot of outcomes that no-one today is imagining.  But you can bet that while the prospect probably doesn't bother coaches much, a lot of ADs around the country are trying to figure out some kind of future that does not involve teams with NFL sized payrolls!

And add to the mix Buddha's probably correct prediction that some kind of collective bargaining is in the future for college players which would be another source of new organizing principles that no-one today can see yet.

Edited by gehringer_2

Clearly, not getting Harbor was bad.  Michigan wanted him and couldn't finish that off.  They may get another chance though in the portal process.  There is a lot of rating inflation of players from less scrupulous organizations but I think generational talent defines the haves from the have nots in CFB.

Michigan has been able to transform nobodies into decent pro prospects but we definitely need to have the next 5* QB and at least one 5*on D down the road.  In the B1G championship our 5* on D was the key figure despite being a true freshman. 

In the OSU game our (build-a/transfer) 5* C was the key man in opening up the way for the 5* RB twice.  

So, back to the drawing board Michigan.  Please get Harbaugh a new contract.  Please get more NIL.  Please open up your hearts to the transfers from these lesser programs who courted these kids with false promises.  Maybe get innovative and actually set up in Ann Arbor some sort of Dharma Initiative to court these kids via advanced theoretical metaphysics.

17 hours ago, buddha said:

michigan loses out on nyck harbor and will have a grand total of 0 5* kids in this poor recruiting class.

they better get their act together or this is going to be the high point of harbaugh's tenure.

For as much of a Bears fan as you are, I’m surprised you don’t like Harbaugh more.  He was a really good player for you guys.