2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

1 hour ago, buddha said:

most successful michigan coach in 20+ years and you still cant come to like the guy.

why should I like the guy just because he wins? Lot of guys win whom I wouldn't care to have a beer with. Urban Meyer was the most successful coach at OSU since Woody - If I were an OSU alum should I like him? What would your feelings about Krzyzewski be  if you'd gone to Duke? :classic_laugh:

Harbaugh's sins may not be of of same nature, but they are sufficient that I find him personally distasteful. I'm not dissing anyone who disagrees - that's their choice.

Edited by gehringer_2

My other take on this event:  Maybe JH got some backing on the NCAA headaches.  "I can coach here but it would be a shame if my hands were tied because of unfortunate events"

The arrival of Santa Ono has been like Mr Illitch/Dave Dombrowski era of the Michigan Football program.   Hopefully it doesn't lead to the Chris Illitch/Al Avila era on the back end.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i'll be waiting patiently for bonghit's breathless updates on sandwich-gate.  ready to take down this rogue program that is thumbing its nose at the ncaa's rules on pastrami distribution!

No need to keep going with that one.  It’s Harbaugh. Something new will come up and his petulance will undoubtedly make it bigger than it needs to be.   

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I've learned over time that attacking people in the state of Michigan on their MJ consumption is like yelling about speeding at the Indy 500.   I'm not a fan of the skunk smell everywhere I go anymore but what are ya gonna do? 

I was at Twelve Oaks with my daughter and 3 different people essentially smoked us out just by walking by.   It was a bit much even for me. 

As an aside, you know that you’re  getting old when you’re bothered by the smell of weed at a place your younger self affectionately referred to as Twelve Tokes or just Tokes.  

37 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think that’s the case at all.  He would’ve been an NFL coach this year if he wanted.   

His unfinished NFL business is to win a Super Bowl. Harbaugh will make lots of NFL noise to beat UM over the head with, but he's not going to jump except to a team that gives him a shot at the trophy. Denver was never any kind of serious possibility.

I can believe Warde being smart enough not to have been taking the bait may be why Harbaugh has no present use for him. Which is not to say he is as likely to end up the loser in that dynamic anyway. But Warde will be able to write his own ticket if he is forced out at UM, so he can afford to stand his ground if he cares to.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

My other take on this event:  Maybe JH got some backing on the NCAA headaches.  "I can coach here but it would be a shame if my hands were tied because of unfortunate events"

The arrival of Santa Ono has been like Mr Illitch/Dave Dombrowski era of the Michigan Football program.   Hopefully it doesn't lead to the Chris Illitch/Al Avila era on the back end.

Schlissel has probably found reason to enjoy his forced sabbatical a little extra the last month or so....

:classic_biggrin::classic_laugh::classic_biggrin:

Edited by gehringer_2

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I was at Twelve Oaks with my daughter and 3 different people essentially smoked us out just by walking by.   It was a bit much even for me. 

As an aside, you know that you’re  getting old when you’re bothered by the smell of weed at a place your younger self affectionately referred to as Twelve Tokes or just Tokes.  

Michigan's billboard signage as you enter at the Toledo border is surreal to anyone who called the Oceana County sheriff's department on a sibling because he was growing plants at your parent's property prior to legalization because you were worried that the sibling would cause mom and pop to lose the farm.  Its like we went from the chaste Victorian era to 1920s Berlin or 1970s Greenwich Village. 

There weren't any medical or sociological reactions to those swings in the culture were there?

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

Michigan's billboard signage as you enter at the Toledo border is surreal to anyone who called the Oceana County sheriff's department on a sibling because he was growing plants at your parent's property prior to legalization because you were worried that the sibling would cause mom and pop to lose the farm.  Its like we went from the chaste Victorian era to 1920s Berlin or 1970s Greenwich Village. 

There weren't any medical or sociological reactions to those swings in the culture were there?

And the funniest thing to me now is that there is no money in it. Prices have collapsed. The invisible hand is all in on the herb.

I'm not sure of the current situation but in 2020 Walled Lake seemed to be the pot capitol of SE Michigan. it's almost as if they've gone post prohibition. 

I'm in favor of legalization, the retail side seem to have gone the vape shop route where there is a store on every street corner. I almost hope VA goes the ABC type route. (They won't and the village I live near will consist of gun shops and pot stores)

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm not sure of the current situation but in 2020 Walled Lake seemed to be the pot capitol of SE Michigan. it's almost as if they've gone post prohibition. 

I'm in favor of legalization, the retail side seem to have gone the vape shop route where there is a store on every street corner. I almost hope VA goes the ABC type route. (They won't and the village I live near will consist of gun shops and pot stores)

I ain't gonna sweep the ocean at the shore.  Legalize it and then let public approbation create the market correction for the unseemly things it brings.  Unless people become violent flesh eating zombies from it.  I'm against that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buddha said:

most successful michigan coach in 20+ years and you still cant come to like the guy.

And let's be completely candid here - every successful football coach is fundamentally a con man. You have to be, it's the core of job, which is to persuade a bunch of young men with a lot of other things on their minds that providing casual entertainment to the great unwashed masses is the single most important thing in life to which they must dedicate every fiber of their waking being. 

The only difference is in the nature (and sometimes legality) of their methods, but all will appear pretty unsightly if you happen to get a view too deep below the patina.

Edited by gehringer_2

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

And let's be completely candid here - every successful football coach is fundamentally a con man. You have to be, it's the core of job, which is to persuade a bunch of young men with a lot of other things on their minds that providing casual entertainment to the great unwashed masses is the single most important thing in life to which they must dedicate every fiber of their waking being. 

The only difference is in the nature (and sometimes legality) of their methods, but all will appear pretty unsightly if you happen to get a view too deep below the patina.

i guess you expect things from a michigan football coach that i dont.

he's a football coach.  win games, beat ohio state, dont be too much of an ass hole.  i think he accomplishes all that.  he's very quirky and i think that's a bit endearing.  ymmv.

so what if he looks at the nfl?  i want a coach who is good enough to be coveted by the nfl or other programs.  harbaugh's one of the top coaches in the sport.  pay him like one and he'll stay for another ten years.  hopefully with much silverware.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i guess you expect things from a michigan football coach that i dont.

Maybe - or maybe I don't. Just because I don't expect certain things from them doesn't mean I don't take a certain cynical pleasure in laughing when they show the degree to which they are lacking those things. Note that at least as far as I can remember, I've never called for JH to be fired, only expressed that I won't particularly grieve when he leaves either.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I saw this it and assumed it was a great troll account.  This is real.  That is sensational from Santa even if it’s a little M on M crime.  

Unlike Mary Sue or Schlissel, Ono has a history of interest in the athletic programs at the Universities he has served. He had a lot to do with the build out of the program at Cincinnati. He's been around the block with coaches before.

Edited by gehringer_2