2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The oh by the way part at the end about Harbaugh lying that is glossed over by ESPN is a big deal.  Type 1 violations are serious. 

i doubt it is much more than harbaugh not answering the questions because he's weird.

regardless, its a black mark on the program.  or at least it will be perceived as a black mark by those who care about such things.  and besides that point, it will be in the news for a few days and people will take their shots at "holier than thou" michigan and those that still believe michigan is somehow "holier" than other programs will be upset about it.

i think its more fuel for harbaugh to leave and can be an excuse for him to go.  "fed up with the ncaa" type stuff, rather than "i really want to go coach in the nfl again," which is likely the real reason.

i think this is a nothingburger.  but i also think michigan needs to cheat better and i dont believe they are holier than anyone (other than michigan state).  that said, it IS a black mark on how the program likes to view itself and the image it likes to give off to the rest of the world.  it will be played up by the media and - like with juwan and the wisconsin incident - be bad publicity for the university.

so i expect harbaugh to leave, then a bunch of players will transfer, and a team that was set up to win next year will be gutted and not live up to expectations.

when it rains it pours.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

ESPN.

The violations include alleged impermissible contact with recruits during the NCAA-mandated dead periods, as well as the use of a defensive analyst for on-field coaching activities, a rules violation. Sources told ESPN that Harbaugh's cooperation with NCAA enforcement staff during the investigation is also being examined. Harbaugh could face penalties that include a multigame suspension, sources said.

lol.  very serious indeed.

Harbaugh dug is own grave deeper on this one by lying about what he did and didn't do. The cover up is worse than the crime sometimes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Or against Urban Meyer. **ducks**

Today wearing a Michigan hoodie at work.  Coworker asks me about the violations.  I tell him that we embrace them as the artist embraces the restrictions of the medium.  Like a haiku that has to follow the strictures of a certain format.  The challenge will only make our victory in the national championship all the sweeter.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The oh by the way part at the end about Harbaugh lying that is glossed over by ESPN is a big deal.  Type 1 violations are serious. 

Yes, it likely means a suspension, but it won't this time because he's leaving for the Colts job. 

So, does the Type 1 punishment get pushed onto UofM now?     If nobody else at the school had anything to do with it?   Probably.  Someone will have to pay.   

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yes, they never could have won that game without Steve Fisher......

not.

they never made it past the sweet sixteen with frieder.  they won a national championship and went to two final games with fisher.

whatever frieder was doing wasnt working.

its not my fault you made a poor analogy.  lol.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

they never made it past the sweet sixteen with frieder.  they won a national championship and went to two final games with fisher.

the truth is it probably wasn't Fisher or Frieder that was making that program go, neither had any big success after leaving it. I guess it must really have been all Ed Martin.  :classic_smile:

Edited by gehringer_2

"the reason Jim got a Level One, apparently, is because two committed recruits stopped by during COVID for an impromptu visit and he took them to the Brown Jug for a Jug burger in the morning. They found a receipt, but I guess he wasn't completely honest about it."

the horror!!!!!!! 

48 minutes ago, buddha said:

"the reason Jim got a Level One, apparently, is because two committed recruits stopped by during COVID for an impromptu visit and he took them to the Brown Jug for a Jug burger in the morning. They found a receipt, but I guess he wasn't completely honest about it."

the horror!!!!!!! 

“They found a receipt but I guess he wasn’t completely honest about it” is M friendly euphemism for evidence showed that he committed a minor NCAA violation and was caught lying to investigators about it.    

The burger is a slap on the wrist infraction.  He’s an arrogant idiot for not owning up and being done with it.  It’s like being given  a warning for jaywalking and proceeding to punch the cop in the face for no reason at all.

Edited by Hongbit

A couple pages ago the notion of Santa Ono and Warde Manual allowing Harbaugh and Michigan to lead the charge into the new era of college football was floated. I think a lot of us (myself included) thought of things such as NIL and transfer portal matters that Michigan is well behind on (though catching up).

An alternative way of doing that, if he stays, would be for Jim, Warde, and Michigan to help coordinate the effort and lead the charge for the B1G and SEC to disband from the NCAA altogether for the purposes of college football. It’s overdue.

• Thanks 1

This got lost in between the is he leaving and is he cheating stories of this week. 

Still a nice prospect that speaks to the depth of the UM WR room.    He’s got a growing list of transfer offers now including MSU, ND, PSU, Purdue, OU, Miami, Auburn, A&M, Ucla, and a bunch of others .  

Edited by Hongbit

14 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This got lost in between the is he leaving and is he cheating stories of this week. 

Still a nice prospect that speaks to the depth of the UM WR room.    He’s got a growing list of transfer offers now including MSU, ND, PSU, Purdue, OU, Miami, Auburn, A&M, Ucla, and a bunch of others .  

cornelius johnson probably coming back and a bunch of top freshman coming on.  he was looking to lose playing time.  for a team that runs the ball so much theyve done very well in recruiting receivers.

and honestly, he wasnt all that great this year.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

the ncaa has today recommended passing a rule that would allow analysts to conduct practice drills.  exactly what michigan allegedly violated.

what a joke. 

i hope they pass a hamburger ordinance next.

The joke is lying to investigators about a super minor offense and turning the entire situation into a level 1 infraction. What an arrogant dumbass move.  

34 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The joke is lying to investigators about a super minor offense and turning the entire situation into a level 1 infraction. What an arrogant dumbass move.  

Yep.  That's the real issue here, not the minor violation.     He's gonna bolt............and when he does Warde Manuel absolutely MUST be fired.  The Athletic Department is a disaster.    The Bo statue needs to come down.  Sick of it.  Sick of Juwan Howard's childish antics too.   It's all embarrassing. 

Not all lying is equal. There are big lies and small lies. Lying about a silly little thing is a silly little thing. Your teacher catching you plagiarizing is a big deal. But your teacher saying you used your phone to text a friend when you were supposed to be on a bathroom break is a silly little thing and lying to your teacher that you didn’t would just be a silly little thing.  

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Not all lying is equal. There are big lies and small lies. Lying about a silly little thing is a silly little thing. Your teacher catching you plagiarizing is a big deal. But your teacher saying you used your phone to text a friend when you were supposed to be on a bathroom break is a silly little thing and lying to your teacher that you didn’t would just be a silly little thing.  

did he lie or did he obstruct? We all seem to be assuming the former but it's another step to the latter.