2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

1 minute ago, buddha said:

its a big miss because they put all of their eggs in this particular basket and didnt recruit any other 5* qb.  and they missed.  now they have nothing behind jj but 3* developmental guys and transfers.

You don't really need a 5* QB behind JJ though do you? As long as JJ is healthy? Having both Cade and JJ was a luxury, not a necessity. Or even sustainable for that matter.

All the same, I'm fairly certain neither Davis Warren or Alex Orji will be the starting QB for Michigan in 2024 or 2025 after JJ declares. Even if he declares without a high-level replacement ready to go, we've seen many teams sustain success with a quality transfer (even Moore himself possibly), which Michigan would assuredly have very little issue getting their pick of the litter if they continue doing what they are doing with JJ.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

You don't really need a 5* QB behind JJ though do you? As long as JJ is healthy? Having both Cade and JJ was a luxury, not a necessity. Or even sustainable for that matter.

All the same, I'm fairly certain neither Davis Warren or Alex Orji will be the starting QB for Michigan in 2024 or 2025 after JJ declares. Even if he declares without a high-level replacement ready to go, we've seen many teams sustain success with a quality transfer (even Moore himself possibly), which Michigan would assuredly have very little issue getting their pick of the litter if they continue doing what they are doing with JJ.

you need the 5* behind jj for one year and then to take over for jj.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

you need the 5* behind jj for one year and then to take over for jj.

And if JJ stays for his senior season? Then it's still a problem because the 5* transfers and leaves nothing behind. I agree that finding JJ's replacement and ensuring that is a very good player is ultimately a high priority, I just don't think it's a huge deal if it's not solved in this class, or by Dante Moore specifically.

Michigan has a 5 star QB Jaden Smith in the 2024 class they have been in the lead for some time. He just moved his commit date out a month, which is not good. The longer a recruit is favoring you but doesn't commit is a bad sign.

Michigan is supposedly making headway on NIL, but will probably never reach the levels of the $ec and O$U. 

Edited by Stanley70

From the article I read about Moore after he transferred to UCLA it says that Moore claims that NIL was never a factor in his decision and wouldn't even listen to teams NIL offers cause he didn't want that to influence his decision. He said he chose UCLA because he liked what Chip Kelly did with Mariotta who he sees alot of similarities with to himself and also cause they are going to the Big 10. He said with them going to the Big 10 it will put more eyeballs on him to showcase his abilities. 

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

From the article I read about Moore after he transferred to UCLA it says that Moore claims that NIL was never a factor in his decision and wouldn't even listen to teams NIL offers cause he didn't want that to influence his decision. He said he chose UCLA because he liked what Chip Kelly did with Mariotta who he sees alot of similarities with to himself and also cause they are going to the Big 10. He said with them going to the Big 10 it will put more eyeballs on him to showcase his abilities. 

When they say it's not about the money, it's about the money. Everything i have heard it is that he is from a tough economic situation and NIL was a huge factor.

NIL is still developing and there’s still a huge grey area when it comes to how much the school can actively participate in regards to recruiting.   As an example, USC has a robust NIL development team that is tied to the school.  They will market players and help them get deals but they refuse to talk specifics with recruits.   They can show them what other players in the program are getting but they won’t write down a number for that recruit until after they join.  The schools with outside alumni run collectives can use the legal bag man route during recruiting and pretty much put together a contract while recruiting a player.  

There’s some thought that once NCAA gets its arms around NIL compliance they will come down hard on schools that have taken advantage of the alumni cash loophole.  I really doubt that will happen but it is scaring some schools. They may make new rules but won’t go back and punish teams who broke them these past few years.  

back to the 5* are everything discussion.  Was just looking at the all-time commits list on 247's page.   My very fan-quality assessment of their actual value to Michigan

Rashan Gary:  underperformed as an asset.  DNP in bowl game

Jabrill Peppers:  met expectations as an asset. DNP in bowl game

Ryan Mallett:  was not a factor for Michigan due to coaching change

Lamar Woodley:  Met and exceeded expectations

Prescott Burgess:  Met expectations

Kelly Baraka: Who?

Brandon Graham: Met and exceeded

Daxton Hill:  Met expectations

Donovan Peoples Jones:  underperformed

Will Johnson:  Met and exceeded expectations including providing Championship-deciding plays in true freshman year.

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

back to the 5* are everything discussion.  Was just looking at the all-time commits list on 247's page.   My very fan-quality assessment of their actual value to Michigan

Will Johnson:  Met and exceeded expectations including providing Championship-deciding plays in true freshman year.

2. Kelly Baraka (RB) 2001 Class

4 of 5

Kelly Baraka was a consensus 5-star running back and was also a high school All-American. He was supposed to be the next great back to play for Michigan.

However, he was arrested twice for marijuana possession before his freshman year and was suspended for the season by Lloyd Carr.

Still, he was set to return for the 2002 season and bring a style of speed that Michigan hadn't seen in the backfield since Tyrone Wheatley. That never happened, though, and Carr eventually kicked him off the team.

Oh, that's what happened.  Michigan/Ann Arbor was prosecuting Marijuana possession at the time.

Edited by romad1

31 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Those are the only 5* guys they've gotten in 22 years? That's insane! 

15 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Nah, its the best of the best for recruits based on the points system they have.   We've obv gotten others.

I’m a honestly a little shocked that you didn’t use UM high academic standards as an excuse preventing them from getting as many 5*.   

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

i seriously doubt any of this is true, or completely true.

chip kelly was paying for recruits at oregon too, back when it was illegal.  its legal now.  he got paid by someone.

as for why he didnt get paid at michigan, who knows?  i dont think he clicked with the coaches.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

NIL is still developing and there’s still a huge grey area when it comes to how much the school can actively participate in regards to recruiting.   As an example, USC has a robust NIL development team that is tied to the school.  They will market players and help them get deals but they refuse to talk specifics with recruits.   They can show them what other players in the program are getting but they won’t write down a number for that recruit until after they join.  The schools with outside alumni run collectives can use the legal bag man route during recruiting and pretty much put together a contract while recruiting a player.  

There’s some thought that once NCAA gets its arms around NIL compliance they will come down hard on schools that have taken advantage of the alumni cash loophole.  I really doubt that will happen but it is scaring some schools. They may make new rules but won’t go back and punish teams who broke them these past few years.  

the ncaa will do nothing.

we'll wait until the first breach of contract lawsuit comes out, or when the schools' boosters get tired of paying for dante moore only to see him leave and get paid again by another school without even playing a down.  then you'll see a push for rule changes, contracts, benefits, etc.

a democrat controlled nlrb could make them all employees and eiligible to unionize.

who knows what will happen?  i think the only sure thing is that the ncaa will do nothing, and michigan will cry that no one but them is following the rules.

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

And if JJ stays for his senior season? Then it's still a problem because the 5* transfers and leaves nothing behind. I agree that finding JJ's replacement and ensuring that is a very good player is ultimately a high priority, I just don't think it's a huge deal if it's not solved in this class, or by Dante Moore specifically.

then you get a 5* (or high 4*) for the next class.  you should always be recruiting high level qbs.  always.  if not, youre left with john navarre when henson leaves early.

you usually have a chance to get one every other recruiting class.  michigan took jj 2 classes ago.  this was the year to get the next one but they missed on moore.  now they've put all their eggs into jaden smith...and as stanley notes, he has yet to commit.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

i seriously doubt any of this is true, or completely true.

chip kelly was paying for recruits at oregon too, back when it was illegal.  its legal now.  he got paid by someone.

as for why he didnt get paid at michigan, who knows?  i dont think he clicked with the coaches.

Moore can say NIL player no factor in his recruitment but Oregon used whatever they were going to give him and spread it around to 3 other players and flipped them all.   They all didn’t randomly have a last minute change of heart.   Ducks saved the very best offer for last.  

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

the ncaa will do nothing.

we'll wait until the first breach of contract lawsuit comes out, or when the schools' boosters get tired of paying for dante moore only to see him leave and get paid again by another school without even playing a down.  then you'll see a push for rule changes, contracts, benefits, etc.

a democrat controlled nlrb could make them all employees and eiligible to unionize.

who knows what will happen?  i think the only sure thing is that the ncaa will do nothing, and michigan will cry that no one but them is following the rules.

Agree the NCAA will do nothing.  

Disagree on Michigan.   Old Michigan would cry nobody is following the rules.  New Michigan led by Urban Manuel is saying fuck it,  we can play that game too.  Transfers in from Nebraska and Coastal Carolina,  doing nothing Mazi Smith, these are all things that never would’ve happened before.    It’s a new time at Schembechler Hall.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Disagree on Michigan.   Old Michigan would cry nobody is following the rules.  New Michigan led by Urban Manuel is saying fuck it,  we can play that game too.  Transfers in from Nebraska and Coastal Carolina,  doing nothing Mazi Smith, these are all things that never would’ve happened before.    It’s a new time at Schembechler Hall.   

1) i hope so!  terrance shannon and xavier worthy say hi, though.

2) i doubt it.  their nil game isnt up to snuff.  or at least that will be the latest excuse.

53 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Mazi should have shot the cop