2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

1 hour ago, buddha said:

that's one of your more ridiculous takes.  🙂

if urban works again in college football, it will be for a southern school.  no big ten team would touch him, imo.  michigan would never have hired him before and will obviously not do it now.

If you want to win in college football, hiring Urban Meyer gets you wins. The guys is 187-32 with a lifetime winning percentage around .850. He is a scumbag and treats people like shit, but to my knowledge he has not broken any laws or had serious NCAA violations ala a Rick Pitino or Steve Fischer/Ed Martin, Jim Tressel or Joe Pa. Are you looking for smoke out of the Vatican to anoint a new Pope or are you looking to win football games and hoist national championship trophies? If you want the latter and you are serious about winning, Meyer has to be at the top of your list if you are a big time program. It doesn't matter if you are a big time program in the Big Ten or any power 5 conference.

I know that Michigan won't such much as pick up the phone and call Urban if Harbaugh was to leave. I doubt he'd even answer if he saw Warde's 734 area code on the caller ID. But I can guarantee you with 100% certainty if Harbaugh left and by some miracle Meyer did come in and we won a national championship, no one would care about his past any longer. No fan or person in the athletic department during the trophy presentation, whether attending the game or watching on TV at home, would be thinking to themselves "geez, I wish we wouldn't have hired that scumbag Urban Meyer, this really taints our national championship win." They'll be knocking back beers, partying and celebrating that Michigan won it's first national championship since 1997.

If Meyer wants to coach again someone is going to hire him and he will likely win wherever he goes next in college football.

21 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think it’s remotely considered, because I don’t think Michigan even interviews external candidates for the hire. It’s an interesting thought experiment about who would say no to this though.

I feel that if you have a rockstar assistant coach that's been with your program for a while, achieving sustained success along the way, like a Brent Venables at Clemson, then you have to interview external candidates and can't focus solely on internal guys. How would promoting Jesse Minter, Sherrone Moore, or Matt Weiss be any better than when Lloyd wanted Mike DeBord promoted to replace him after he left? Not that looking outside and hiring Rich Rod worked out, it didn't. But hiring Les Miles would almost certainly have worked and promoting Mike DeBord would have likely flopped. I feel the same way if Minter, Moore, Weiss, Hart, whoever were to get promoted as they haven't had sustained success with the program as an assistant like a Venables had in Clemson.

Promoting from within feels like a program that isn't doing its due diligence to hire the best candidate possible. Look at Wisconsin, they didn't just promote Jim Leonhard, they went out and made a big time hire and got Luke Fickell. If Harbaugh leaves I know we won't be so much as contacting Urban, which is a mistake. The even bigger mistake though would be to promote from within IMO without interviewing at least a couple of external candidates. If they do a round of interviews and decide the best candidate comes from within then that's fine. They just can't limit themselves to someone already on the coaching staff and not interview anyone externally.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you want to win in college football, hiring Urban Meyer gets you wins. The guys is 187-32 with a lifetime winning percentage around .850. He is a scumbag and treats people like shit, but to my knowledge he has not broken any laws or had serious NCAA violations ala a Rick Pitino or Steve Fischer/Ed Martin, Jim Tressel or Joe Pa. Are you looking for smoke out of the Vatican to anoint a new Pope or are you looking to win football games and hoist national championship trophies? If you want the latter and you are serious about winning, Meyer has to be at the top of your list if you are a big time program. It doesn't matter if you are a big time program in the Big Ten or any power 5 conference.

I know that Michigan won't such much as pick up the phone and call Urban if Harbaugh was to leave. I doubt he'd even answer if he saw Warde's 734 area code on the caller ID. But I can guarantee you with 100% certainty if Harbaugh left and by some miracle Meyer did come in and we won a national championship, no one would care about his past any longer. No fan or person in the athletic department during the trophy presentation, whether attending the game or watching on TV at home, would be thinking to themselves "geez, I wish we wouldn't have hired that scumbag Urban Meyer, this really taints our national championship win." They'll be knocking back beers, partying and celebrating that Michigan won it's first national championship since 1997.

If Meyer wants to coach again someone is going to hire him and he will likely win wherever he goes next in college football.

USC

Notre Dame

LSU

Oregon

Auburn 

Miami

Tennessee

Wisconsin

Washington

What do all of these big time programs that are serious about winning have in common?  

They all had a head coach opening during the time that Urban has been available.  None even bothered to do so much as an interview.  Hell, not even Nebraska interviewed him. 

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

USC

Notre Dame

LSU

Oregon

Auburn 

Miami

Tennessee

Wisconsin

Washington

What do all of these big time programs that are serious about winning have in common?  

They all had a head coach opening during the time that Urban has been available.  None even bothered to do so much as an interview.  Hell, not even Nebraska interviewed him. 

Yeah - Urban's number is not in Warde's rolodex, not on his phone, not in his office, not in the building, nowhere on campus.

48 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

If the gang of 20 really want to elect the first black member they should make it a two person race.

While Mike Hart or Sherrone Moore would be Michigan's first black Head Coach, I will be disappointed if they just go next man up and don't interview outside the current coaching staff. That's what you meant of course by first black member. 🙂

On 1/4/2023 at 1:13 PM, Hongbit said:

USC

Notre Dame

LSU

Oregon

Auburn 

Miami

Tennessee

Wisconsin

Washington

So you don't think Urban is coaching in a big time program again? I do believe he will be back somewhere, at some point. Asshole or not, he's had too much success not to be coaching again.

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

While Mike Hart or Sherrone Moore would be Michigan's first black Head Coach, I will be disappointed if they just go next man up and don't interview outside the current coaching staff. That's what you meant of course by first black member. 🙂

I apologize, I misposted in the wrong thread...

24 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So you don't think Urban is coaching in a big time program again? I do believe he will be back somewhere, at some point. Asshole or not, he's had too much success not to be coaching again.

Time heals all and Americans have short memories.  He will coach again but he still needs more time to detoxify.  His time at Fox is helping him massage the public image and I could see an SEC team taking a shot possibly as soon as 2024. 

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Time heals all and Americans have short memories.  He will coach again but he still needs more time to detoxify.  His time at Fox is helping him massage the public image and I could see an SEC team taking a shot possibly as soon as 2024. 

lets see what happens when saban retires.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Bo Pelini can get another job despite being an asshole and mediocre, Urban will land somewhere, if he wants to. 

Just might be closer to the job at Youngstown State that Pelini took than the job at Ohio State he picked up after his “health issues”.

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Still refuses to give a hard no to the NFL rumors but it atleast sounds like he is committed to being here next year. 

People laughed when I brought up the possibility of a future in politics.   He’s a natural.   

Edited by Hongbit

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

His pro football future involves a passport and a goose down jacket. 

Maybe he'll put up some great combine numbers but atleast as of now everything I've seen suggests he will be an end of the draft type pick at best. May even have to make it by being an UDFA.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Geez, that only isn't a 'hard no', that's a 'why doesn't someone give me a call?'

I think it’s exactly the type of release that Harbaugh would be comfortable putting out if they’re working on a contract re-negotiation that is not yet a done deal.  If Harbaugh was intent on going to NFL as long as someone offered him a job, there would be little upside to him to putting out this statement. Basically, “yeah, if I’m paid well in a re-done contract I’m more than open to staying, but if you squeeze me or an NFL blows me away with something, I will weigh my options”.