2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

if harbaugh wants michigan to lead the fight in preserving the old status quo, then he should leave.  any such fight will not be successful and will do nothing more than make michigan fall further behind on the recruiting and acquisition of talent.

but i also think this is another reason why he is leaving.  his vision of what michigan is (and was) was always a little....aspirational, imo.  but any such idea that michigan football was tied into michigan academics is now completely gone.  the players are mercenaries, not students.  much moreso than they ever were before.  i think harbaugh doesnt like that and will use it as a reason why he ultimately chose to leave now.

I'm not proposing a rear guard action, I think everyone knows huge change is inevitable. But if the Wisconsins and UMs and UCals sit on the side lines then it will be the Texas and Alabamas and LSUs that decide what the future looks like and those visions don't have to be the way it ends.

The only reason I raise the question is just because Ono was so supportive of the build-up in Cinci athletics. If Schlissel were still here I don't think it's even a question.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Shock the world, Warde!

F2CBF260-54D2-49EE-B81F-C8FB75CEF2E2.thumb.jpeg.b21e238d2574f7bc755698f4a0d2e827.jpeg

I don’t think it’s remotely considered, because I don’t think Michigan even interviews external candidates for the hire. It’s an interesting thought experiment about who would say no to this though.

Warde? Maybe. Not sure his feelings about Urban, but he’s a sure-fire winner if all you care about is winning.

Urban? Maybe. But he’s not going to get a better offer to return to the college game than his old recruiting stomping ground at the back-to-back B1G Champ. It would also allow him to be known alongside Woody and Bo as one of the most storied coaches in the rivalry’s history.

Santa Ono/admin? I doubt it. Schlissel and the old guard may have cared about selling their soul to the devil, but I think that ship has sailed.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think it’s remotely considered, because I don’t think Michigan even interviews external candidates for the hire. It’s an interesting thought experiment about who would say no to this though.

Warde? Maybe. Not sure his feelings about Urban, but he’s a sure-fire winner if all you care about is winning.

Urban? Maybe. But he’s not going to get a better offer to return to the college game than his old recruiting stomping ground at the back-to-back B1G Champ. It would also allow him to be known alongside Woody and Bo as one of the most storied coaches in the rivalry’s history.

Santa Ono/admin? I doubt it. Schlissel and the old guard may have cared about selling their soul to the devil, but I think that ship has sailed.

It was a troll.  

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

One variable to consider is the Sean Payton factor. It sounds like he is ready to coach again, if so he may have his pick of the litter over Harbaugh. 

New Orleans still owns his rights and they will have to be compensated.  Based on past deals of this type it would include multiple picks including a first rounder for any team to hire him.

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

New Orleans still owns his rights and they will have to be compensated.  Based on past deals of this type it would include multiple picks including a first rounder for any team to hire him.

Ah didnt know that, in that case yeah Id imagine a team would rather take Jim than give up a fortune for Payton.

I have to admit that I am now disappointed that Wisconsin hired Luke Fickell already. At first I was excited for them because the Big Ten West desperately needs better programs and I think Fickell could bring Wisconsin back to being a strong program. But now, if Harbaugh does leave, which seems likely, Fickell would have been the perfect hire for Michigan. Oh well.

17 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree that it would not even be in the realm of possibilities that Michigan talks to Urban. That said, if I were Warde Manuel I would absolutely extend the invitation to Urban Meyer to interview to replace Harbaugh. In spite of all of his problems, of which there are many, he does what you expect of him most, win.

Is Urban a jackass? Yes, of course. Does he treat his players and coaches like shit? It seems that way. Does he have a history of "getting sick" and/or leaving programs in a lurch. Yes, he's done that multiple times now. Should he be lap dancing with young women at the bar? No way. But does he win at the collegiate level everywhere he goes? You bet he does. 

As you said, if all you care about is winning then you'll hire Urban Meyer. I think Michigan cares more about that and sees themselves as above hiring or even interviewing a guy like Urban and thus they won't do it. That's a shame, because winning is very important and Urban sure does win a lot.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I have to admit that I am now disappointed that Wisconsin hired Luke Fickell already. At first I was excited for them because the Big Ten West desperately needs better programs and I think Fickell could bring Wisconsin back to being a strong program. But now, if Harbaugh does leave, which seems likely, Fickell would have been the perfect hire for Michigan. Oh well.

If Harbaugh bolts MI will move heaven and earth to try to avoid hiring another old white guy as head coach. 

58 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I agree that it would not even be in the realm of possibilities that Michigan talks to Urban. That said, if I were Warde Manuel I would absolutely extend the invitation to Urban Meyer to interview to replace Harbaugh. In spite of all of his problems, of which there are many, he does what you expect of him most, win.

Is Urban a jackass? Yes, of course. Does he treat his players and coaches like shit? It seems that way. Does he have a history of "getting sick" and/or leaving programs in a lurch. Yes, he's done that multiple times now. Should he be lap dancing with young women at the bar? No way. But does he win at the collegiate level everywhere he goes? You bet he does. 

As you said, if all you care about is winning then you'll hire Urban Meyer. I think Michigan cares more about that and sees themselves as above hiring or even interviewing a guy like Urban and thus they won't do it. That's a shame, because winning is very important and Urban sure does win a lot.

USC wouldn’t touch Urban (twice). I can’t imagine that Michigan would.   He’s a proven winner but there is just so much baggage.  

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

that's one of your more ridiculous takes.  🙂

if urban works again in college football, it will be for a southern school.  no big ten team would touch him, imo.  michigan would never have hired him before and will obviously not do it now.

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Harbaugh bolts MI will move heaven and earth to try to avoid hiring another old white guy as head coach. 

unfortunately this is probably true.

they would probably love david shaw (until he started losing).  finding their own version of marcus freeman would have michigan's DEI department (all of them) salivating.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

that's one of your more ridiculous takes.  🙂

if urban works again in college football, it will be for a southern school.  no big ten team would touch him, imo.  michigan would never have hired him before and will obviously not do it now.

I don’t think it’s an absurd take that Urban is the best coach available for a school that cares about nothing but winning. I would agree this is far more likely to happen at an SEC school not named Vanderbilt than it is a B1G school. Though I wouldn’t rule out Nebraska in a couple years if Rhule doesn’t work out.

Arguing that Michigan is that school that values nothing but winning would be absurd. I don’t think MTS was arguing that though.

David Shaw is stuck in 2015 in a way far worse than Harbaugh. 6-18 over the last two years probably disqualifies him for the head gig anyway.

If he wanted a job in Athletics though I think the Department would like him. He’s very good at keeping the team out of the bad news. You never hear about football scandals at Stanford or players not making grades.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think it’s an absurd take that Urban is the best coach available for a school that cares about nothing but winning. I would agree this is far more likely to happen at an SEC school not named Vanderbilt than it is a B1G school. Though I wouldn’t rule out Nebraska in a couple years if Rhule doesn’t work out.

Arguing that Michigan is that school that values nothing but winning would be absurd. I don’t think MTS was arguing that though.

he said that if he was warde manual, he would interview urban meyer.  that's a ridiculous take.  michigan would never have taken meyer after he went from florida to ohio state even BEFORE all the shady stuff that happened at ohio state AND all the shady shit that happened at jacksonville.  after all of that stuff, there is a 0% chance michigan would ever speak to meyer, much less hire him.

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

he said that if he was warde manual, he would interview urban meyer.  that's a ridiculous take.  michigan would never have taken meyer after he went from florida to ohio state even BEFORE all the shady stuff that happened at ohio state AND all the shady shit that happened at jacksonville.  after all of that stuff, there is a 0% chance michigan would ever speak to meyer, much less hire him.

Well in fairness if he were Warde Manual, we’d be Auburn. 😉 

I think we all agree that Urban is not a realistic candidate, regardless of his pros and many cons.