2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

Is that supposed to be "poise and demeanor", when describing JJ. Maybe "poison demeanor" is some slang with which I'm not familiar, because I'm old.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35328803/michigan-hoping-avoid-regret-last-year-cfp-loss

"He is just more confident," co-offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore said. "He always had the same poison demeanor, but you can just see him grow in his decision making and the way he takes care of the ball and the way he runs and does things that he does to help us to win."

23 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Is that supposed to be "poise and demeanor", when describing JJ. Maybe "poison demeanor" is some slang with which I'm not familiar, because I'm old.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35328803/michigan-hoping-avoid-regret-last-year-cfp-loss

"He is just more confident," co-offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore said. "He always had the same poison demeanor, but you can just see him grow in his decision making and the way he takes care of the ball and the way he runs and does things that he does to help us to win."

that sounds like a quote that is actually a closed captioning  or audio or text capture. That's exactly the kind of error CC usually makes.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think he goes this year. I think there is a higher chance that he retires and goes to have fun with John in Baltimore than that he takes a job of his own.

that's an interesting thought - I've had the impression that the brother are fairly competitive, one working for the other would be a different narrative.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

that's an interesting thought - I've had the impression that the brother are fairly competitive, one working for the other would be a different narrative.

I think they’re competitive when given the opportunity. Like when they’re against each other in the Super Bowl. They’ve been in different levels for a while now.

I would guess it would be something like an “analyst” position where they work together, more so than Jim working “under” John. I also don’t think he would do it unless Michigan won the National Championship, and I don’t think it would be permanent. The itch would come back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think he goes this year. I think there is a higher chance that he retires and goes to have fun with John in Baltimore than that he takes a job of his own.

Nobody knows what goes on inside the head of Jim Harbaugh but this seems like such a random pivot.   I’d assume he’d stay at UM if they won it all but if he did leave, why would he pass up an NFL head coaching position and get paid upwards of $60M guaranteed to instead go help out his brother.   I could maybe see that scenario 5 or 10 years from now if he were fired from another job and wanted to still collect salary.  Personally,  I still hold that his future is in politics but that is a decade or so away.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Nobody knows what goes on inside the head of Jim Harbaugh but this seems like such a random pivot.   I’d assume he’d stay at UM if they won it all but if he did leave, why would he pass up an NFL head coaching position and get paid upwards of $60M guaranteed to instead go help out his brother.   I could maybe see that scenario 5 or 10 years from now if he were fired from another job and wanted to still collect salary.  Personally,  I still hold that his future is in politics but that is a decade or so away.  

I definitely wouldn’t say it’s likely. He probably stays at Michigan. I think the NFL left a bad taste in his mouth after the Vikings debacle last year though and I don’t think he entertains going to a job like the Broncos or Colts. I don’t think he’ll be a head coach for the sake of being an NFL head coach (like it seemed he wanted last year).

I could see politics too. He’s just not like any other coach, and it’s why the NFL beat guys are always so wrong about him. He’s an independent thinker and doer, for better or worse.

i doubt he goes into politics.  half the state hates his guts already, that's not a solid base to get votes.  this is not herschel walker, a guy who was beloved in georgia before this election.

i think he'd be the lions head coach long before he ever ran for public office.  and i dont think he'll end up being the lions head coach.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

i doubt he goes into politics.  half the state hates his guts already, that's not a solid base to get votes.  this is not herschel walker, a guy who was beloved in georgia before this election.

i think he'd be the lions head coach long before he ever ran for public office.  and i dont think he'll end up being the lions head coach.

I don't see him as a political guy at all.  His mantra has always been "Play as long as you can; Coach as long as you can; Die"  I don't see him doing anything else, including TV.

I'd like Harbaugh to stay, but can understand another flirtation with the NFL and its appeal. I'm not holding him to his comments last year that it was a one-time thing. Maybe that's part of the reason Harbaugh likes the NFL. He can deal with football, not worry about all the other year-round stuff, and not feel he is tied somewhere for years because otherwise that is "unfair to his recruits" or that he owes the fanbase something.

8 years in, which is about as long as I expected him to stay when he was signed. In his 7 full seasons, had a 13-win, 12-win, three 10-wins, a 9-win and 8-win season. Again, about as good as I expected, maybe better. 2-5 vs. Ohio State, with a decisive home win and road win - again, OSU is a more elite program, 2-5 is to be expected. Going into 4 of the 7 OSU games, a Michigan win would have sent them to the playoffs (via the BIG championship game first). Back to back B1G championships. Would have been nice to have at least made it to this year's championship game, but may not be a burning desire for him compared to a Super Bowl ring.

Edited by lordstanley

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t want to do this every offseason. It’s bad for recruiting. If he wants to go, he should go.

Yep was thinking the same thing. I hate to see him leave but this distraction every offseason can't be good for the overall health of the program. 

harbaugh is a unicorn.  a guy who has been very successful at both the college and pro levels.  his name will be mentioned every year until he retires or stops being successful.  id rather have him at michigan continuing to be successful every year and deal with the rumors.

with that said, i think he's gone.  he was actively looking last year and almost got a job, then he came back and doubled down on his college success which only made him MORE marketable in the pros.  

so i think the odds of him leaving are 75%.  denver is a good organization.  he has ties to indy.  he's reportedly talked to carolina's owner already.

all signs point to him leaving and michigan starting over.  which is too bad because next year's team is loaded.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

denver is a good organization

ya think?(!?) 

Indy I could see. 

I think there are two big pulls in tension for Harbaugh. The obvious one is the professional competitive pull to go back to the NFL and win a Super Bowl, but all the personal reasons pull him back to UM/Ann Arbor and the college game. As we all agree, he is an enigmatic character, I don't think anyone knows what balance he is seeking in his life, and I'd put it that he appears not know himself from year to year.

Edited by gehringer_2

Another question might be what the new administration sees as its role in trying to lead college athletics. Ono does have a history of being interesting college athletics - certainly to a greater degree than Schlissel ever did.  If Ono is interested in the fighting the good fight and wants UM to be a force in shaping the future, he goes to Harbaugh and tells him that if he stays the weight of the institution will be fully behind him, stay and we will try to make the future we/you want. But Harbaugh looks north up State Street and sees an institution that has already judged the cause of preserving some semblance of what colleges athletics was as lost, I would think that would make a big difference. 

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Another question might be what the new administration sees as its role in trying to lead college athletics. Ono does have a history of being interesting college athletics - certainly to a greater degree than Schlissel ever did.  If Ono is interested in the fighting the good fight and wants UM to be a force in shaping the future, he goes to Harbaugh and tells him that if he stays the weight of the institution will be fully behind him, stay and we will try to make the future we/you want. But Harbaugh looks north up State Street and sees an institution that has already judged the cause of preserving some semblance of what colleges athletics was as lost, I would think that would make a big difference. 

if harbaugh wants michigan to lead the fight in preserving the old status quo, then he should leave.  any such fight will not be successful and will do nothing more than make michigan fall further behind on the recruiting and acquisition of talent.

but i also think this is another reason why he is leaving.  his vision of what michigan is (and was) was always a little....aspirational, imo.  but any such idea that michigan football was tied into michigan academics is now completely gone.  the players are mercenaries, not students.  much moreso than they ever were before.  i think harbaugh doesnt like that and will use it as a reason why he ultimately chose to leave now.