2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

they have one close game and everyone says "see?  they suck."

give me a break.  its like you just started watching college football or something.

No, everyone has been saying all year that the passing game is deficient and the pass rush is questionable beyond Morris. Of course, there are no perfect teams. M's not bad, but they are not a great team and  their injury situation threatens to overwhelm the modest depth they have.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

No, everyone has been saying all year that the passing game is deficient and the pass rush is questionable beyond Morris. Of course, there are no perfect teams. M's not bad, but they are not a great team and  their injury situation threatens to overwhelm the modest depth they have.

its college football, lkke you said there are no perfect teams and teams have weeks where shit just doesnt work and the play poorly and lose.

so far michigan has been able to avoid the losing part despite playing poorly against maryland and illinois.  if they play poorly against ohio state, they'd have to get really lucky not to lose.

ohio state was garbage against northwestern, penn state, and iowa.  they won them all.  georgia was garbage against missouri and won.  tcu has pulled a rabbit out of their ass multiple times this year, including today.

everyone has bad games.  this was a bad game.  the sky isnt falling unless the injuries are too much.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

this did feel like being a michigan fan in the 70s and 80s all over again.  being a zero or one loss team and then losing to wisconsin or purdue or ricky flipping foggie and blowing the whole season.

ah the memories.

now if harbaugh wants to continue to be like Bo he will lose to ohio state or beat them and then lose the bowl game!

I have a funny story about the Ricky Foggy game.   I was living in a dorm at Central Michigan University.   There was this kid, who had a room at the end of the hall...........name was Scotty (can't remember the last name), but you could hear him screaming from all the down the hall - in his room with his door closed.     Anyway, Michigan loses and Scotty takes his routine into the hall...........at the very end of the hall....next to his room was the study room, I had a door with a window and that wire mesh between the two window panes............Scotty punched it...........broke it...........there was blood everywhere and even injured, as others wrapped his mangled hand in a towel, he was still screaming and cussing about the game.    That is what I will remember about that game.  

49 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Listening to Mike Valenti whine, moan, victim blame, and whatabout is something else… there are rational takes and then there is yelling at callers to shut up when they ask you what Michigan did to deserve it.

He went off the deep end long ago, but it’s sad that he’s still given this platform.

I absolutely understand the hate from UM fans but he’s by far the best sports talk host in town.  The ratings back this up as well.  

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I absolutely understand the hate from UM fans but he’s by far the best sports talk host in town.  The ratings back this up as well.  

I disagree that ratings correlate to quality in sports talk radio. I think Valenti knows how to drive up ratings, and he’s a master at that craft. Tip of the cap for that.

I really like the 10-2 slot on 97.1 with Doug and Gator. They’re generally intelligent and can carry a four-hour conversation, which is no easy task… they also have great chemistry together. I find Valenti to be borderline unlistenable oftentimes.

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I disagree that ratings correlate to quality in sports talk radio. I think Valenti knows how to drive up ratings, and he’s a master at that craft. Tip of the cap for that.

I really like the 10-2 slot on 97.1 with Doug and Gator. They’re generally intelligent and can carry a four-hour conversation, which is no easy task… they also have great chemistry together. I find Valenti to be borderline unlistenable oftentimes.

You said it was sad he’s still given the platform.  Ratings back up why he does.

I get why you would find him unlistenable.  He pretends to be impartial to UM but he’s absolutely not and makes it a point to call out blue arrogance whenever he can.   That would bother the hell out of me if I was a UM guy. 

On the subject of unlistenable, Mike Stone is the worst.  A dinosaur of the days when the top quality of a sports talk host was someone that could remember random history and useless trivia.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

You said it was sad he’s still given the platform.  Ratings back up why he does.

I get why you would find him unlistenable.  He pretends to be impartial to UM but he’s absolutely not and makes it a point to call out blue arrogance whenever he can.   

On the subject of unlistenable, Mike Stone is the worst.  A dinosaur of the days when the top quality of a sports talk host was someone that could remember random history and useless trivia.  

That’s fair. I did answer my own question. It feels like it’s more than the UM/MSU piece, because I hate listening to him talk on the Lions too. All the same though.

I am not a fan of Stoney either. I think CBS was smart to put him on the morning show, where it’s less sports and more talk. I would also put Caputo in that category. I think there are drunk uncles out there who do are more knowledgeable about today’s game than Pat Caputo.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I will grant him the one point that for the group charged with only misdemeanor's, they probably would only have serverd a one or two game team suspension as a result, so frustration at the slow turn around at DPSS and WashCo DA office that has meanst at least a 4 game suspension, is not unreasonable. Still, I'm going to guess probably not a lot that could have been done to make it quicker. I would guess that DPSS had to have their every step micro-vetted by both the legal and equity offices at UM, and maybe at MSU as well.

Edited by gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

what would you say is the percentage breakdown of topics in detroit sports radio?

here is's 70% bears, 15% bulls, 15% everything else during football season and 50% bears, 30% baseball, and 20% everything else in the offseason.  

It’s probably majority Lions pretty much year-round. With how bad the teams have all been for the last decade, the rest fluctuates with who is showing any inkling of promise, or when there is topical news (like Miggy’s chase for milestones or Avila getting canned). The topic of “who will be good again first?” Seems to come up weekly.