2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and it gets more stupid by the day. But they don't pay him millions of bucks to tilt at NCAA windmills, they pay him to win and to not have stuff like this happen. 

why do you hate harbaugh so much?  all you do on this site is bitch about him.

39 minutes ago, buddha said:

why do you hate harbaugh so much?  all you do on this site is bitch about him.

I've given him his due when he has won and on the fact that he generally does right by his players.  But he's also a grade 1-A nut job and it never seems to be more than a matter of time between his descents into stupidity, whether it's via twitter, in his play calling, his juvenile insults of other people, the recurring Hamlet act,  or now a potentially more consequential bit of stupidity like this.

Do you disagree that a primary piece of the job description at Michigan is exactly not to end up where they are now? That's part of the performance review at UM just like wins and losses. You can argue the system is flawed and stupid and I'll give you 100% agreement, but that is the system he's paid to toe the line in.

Edited by gehringer_2

Part of me thinks he should have just shaken hands and made fake apologies like a good little boy… Another part of me gets it. It’s the same part of me that would have been a wise ass to a mall cop and told them to come back with a warrant as a teenager.

A coach of a D1 program should probably take the former approach.

I don’t think the program actually cares about being holier than thou anymore though. Maybe as an idealistic version of themselves, but they put themselves in the greater world of athletic success > image when they slapped Juwan on the wrist.

this really is a return to levels michigan hasnt seen in a long long time.

its really a return to where they were for much of the 70s and 80s under Bo.  great teams, but never the best and usually just a rung below the national elite teams.

now its georgia and alabama, just as it used to be nebraska/oklahoma/usc, and then florida state and miami.

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

this really is a return to levels michigan hasnt seen in a long long time.

its really a return to where they were for much of the 70s and 80s under Bo.  great teams, but never the best and usually just a rung below the national elite teams.

now its georgia and alabama, just as it used to be nebraska/oklahoma/usc, and then florida state and miami.

Any concern about giving up 51 points in a playoff game to a team that turned around and scored 7 the next week?  On both sides of the ball UM didn’t look nearly as physical as they were perceived to as they were playing their B1G schedule.    I guess it’s shifted and they are speedy finesse team and not quite as physical as the expectations of a Michigan team.  There’s nothing wrong with that and you can win that way until you run against an SEC team that is physical on both lines and fast everywhere else.  

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Any concern about giving up 51 points in a playoff game to a team that turned around and scored 7 the next week?  On both sides of the ball UM didn’t look nearly as physical as they were perceived to as they were playing their B1G schedule.    I guess it’s shifted and they are speedy finesse team and not quite as physical as the expectations of a Michigan team.  There’s nothing wrong with that and you can win that way until you run against an SEC team that is physical on both lines and fast everywhere else.  

michigan's poor performance in a bowl game is a return to the past!

everything about that tcu game was ridiculous.

i think the defense is less of a strength than the offense.  their defense has been set up to beat ohio state and has been able to do that.  other than that, they werent really challenged until tcu and that went rather poorly but might be more of a one off than anything else.

the offense, otoh, should be excellent again and should have put up 70 on tcu.

im more worried about this year's fall off in recruiting anf their inability to use the nil money cannon theyre sitting on.  and ultimately, the real concern is harbaugh leaving or continuing to flirt with leaving.

On 1/9/2023 at 4:29 PM, romad1 said:

Love this for Team 144.   I just need the Harbaugh contract extension announcement

Harbaugh has been known to go for 4th downs and miss. Sort of like if in the end none of the NFL teams offer and Warde leans back in his chair, smiling and says "Jim, I think your current deal suits you just fine."

:classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

Much made of the fact that Harbaugh retained Tom Mars as his legal rep for the NCAA violation allegations.  Why do that if you were not staying?  Also, Sam Webb reports two different dynamics in the negotiations: Agents highlighting the interest from the NFL as a bargaining chip and Santa Ono being a diplomatic and oil-on-the-waters element of negotiations.

I would say that the indications are that Harbaugh wants to stay but needs the wasta of an increase in pay to go forward. 

47 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Much made of the fact that Harbaugh retained Tom Mars as his legal rep for the NCAA violation allegations.  Why do that if you were not staying?  Also, Sam Webb reports two different dynamics in the negotiations: Agents highlighting the interest from the NFL as a bargaining chip and Santa Ono being a diplomatic and oil-on-the-waters element of negotiations.

I would say that the indications are that Harbaugh wants to stay but needs the wasta of an increase in pay to go forward. 

he interviewed for the broncos job already.