2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

54 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think he wants to go the nfl or he wouldnt be interviewing.

Seems likeliest, especially if the report of him pursuing the Panthers is correct.

I suppose it could be a full court press for more money from M, but if JU Bacon is to be believed money doesn't mean that much to JH. But of course like everything else about him, what may really have been true on Tuesday is not necessarily true on Thursday.

Edited by gehringer_2

51 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It seems like Harbaugh's people are putting their side of the story out there now and blaming a lot/all this Harbaugh leaving chaos on Warde Manuel.

well, maybe. 

I posed up thread that the amount of NIL money JU Bacon (I think) referenced in a report of his was far short of what OSU was raising (if reports can be believed, which they probably can't). But while it's easy to dump on Warde, you have to go out and raise that money, you can not just appropriate from within the university (which wouldn't go over well with other powerful constituencies within UM anyway.) The UM contribution base is large but does not have much history with systems for funneling booster money (legal booster money  is all that NIL really is) so the AD has to build/coordinate pretty much from scratch. Easy for JH to just say 'do it'. Took JH 6 yrs to beat OSU? If Warde has come up with $7M in the first year of having an NIL program is he doing a bad job or not so much?

Edited by gehringer_2

Michigan has one of the wealthiest donor bases in the country and can't beat out a glorified community college in Columbus for NIL money? If a donor base consisting primarily of people who ask you about whether or not you want fries can muster up $12 million in NIL money certainly a base with Michigan's money can match or do better. Maybe Warde hasn't done enough to coordinate donations, maybe donors aren't willing (or used to as you mentioned) give towards this kind of an NIL slush fund, maybe it's both. I'm not nearly connected enough to know the answer on that.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i can almost guarantee that michigan donors will pony up for any type of nil fund.  stephen ross?  come on...

What if Ross loves UM sports but hates the NIL direction it's going in? We all can sit here and it's easy to make a lot of assumptions about other people's money that may or may not be true. The other aspect of this is that you have other constituencies vying for those dollars who want to see them stay where they are. When a donor writes a check to the University pieces of it may go to a lot of recipients inside the institution. If that donor writes a check for NIL none of the people currently on those receiving ends get squat. You don't think that creates an undercurrent of people talking in donor's ears to keep making contributions to the U instead of NIL? Where ever there is a lot of money moving around you can be sure there are more moving parts than meet the eye.

I would guess the pressure is to raise NIL from new sources as much as possible.

The other assumption that is false it that there is some big untapped reservoir of alumni funds just waiting to start writing checks. A university has a rather large 'deleopment' staff whose job it is to be shaking the bushes 24/7/365. If there were people with money just waiting to give it away, they'd have already been found and contributing to existing programs.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

What if Ross loves UM sports but hates the NIL direction it's going in? We all can sit here and it's easy to make a lot of assumptions about other people's money that may or may not be true. The other aspect of this is that you have other constituencies vying for those dollars who want to see them stay where they are. When a donor writes a check to the University pieces of it may go to a lot of recipients inside the institution. If that donor writes a check for NIL none of the people currently on those receiving ends get squat. You don't think that creates an undercurrent of people talking in donor's ears to keep making contributions to the U instead of NIL? Where ever there is a lot of money moving around you can be sure there are more moving parts than meet the eye.

I would guess the pressure is to raise NIL from new sources as much as possible.

The other assumption that is false it that there is some big untapped reservoir of alumni funds just waiting to start writing checks. A university has a rather large 'deleopment' staff whose job it is to be shaking the bushes 24/7/365. If there were people with money just waiting to give it away, they'd have already been found and contributing to existing programs.

LOL - that should read "development staff" !

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Warde sucks at his job.   He’s a G5 AD, whose sole qualification for the job was that he was a Michigan man.  

He does what Jim tells him to do - and little else.    Look at the condition of the Athletic Department.  Scandal after scandal.  He's a joke.  When Jim leaves (next week), Warde should be shown the door.  I do not want this guy picking the next Head Coach.  

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It seems like Harbaugh's people are putting their side of the story out there now and blaming a lot/all this Harbaugh leaving chaos on Warde Manuel.

Anson has shared this now. Maybe it was already available this morning and I just didn’t see it, but goes into more details than the tweets. 

https://docs.google.com/document/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRPFXjz1OvGY9hgXbiyuGjHaTswk4_2ght-lrY4r__cQdqLIcBn-dxexqL4fL-l26YMEwCQLZdvjfnZ/pub?fbclid=IwAR3agY9JPuqnl8vbARRnEYvSdpqOO-X6qG7q4ZWt51EAL8e99VpQ0eDjjFo