2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Honestly, i do hope the noise coming from this program settles down.   Weiss story just figures to lead to more chaos. 

The extreme narrowness of Harbaugh's focus, which may serve him well as a coach, may end up his undoing if it means he is starting to take too blind an eye toward the off field conduct of his players and coaches. Manuel may need to work a Zampolit into Jim's circle to protect him from himself.

Edited by gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Is this code?  I have no idea what this means.  

per Sam Webb's show (he is a human who does Michigan sports reporting) this morning (a time of day) they (the MGOBLOG roundtable I can explain what MGOBLOG and what a roundtable are in a separate note) were discussing that the revelations (the word NCAA) and likely the Weiss story  ("stuff") were related to the departure (hence the burned bridge metaphor) of Matt Dudek (a person named Dudek).  

Dudek was the former recruiting coordinator for the Michigan football program. He departed the program unwillingly at some point in the past (hence former and departed).  A recruiting coordinator is likely a person who knows a lot about promises made to recruits and the staff arrangements and possible recruiting violations.   

A football program is a financial and spiritual construct outside of space and time and in some cases beyond space and time in which dreams have more value than the mortal flesh. 

Edited by romad1

43 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Is this code?  I have no idea what this means.  

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

per Sam Webb's show (he is a human who does Michigan sports reporting) this morning (a time of day) they (the MGOBLOG roundtable I can explain what MGOBLOG and what a roundtable are in a separate note) were discussing that the revelations (the word NCAA) and likely the Weiss story  ("stuff") were related to the departure (hence the burned bridge metaphor) of Matt Dudek (a person named Dudek).  

Dudek was the former recruiting coordinator for the Michigan football program. He departed the program unwillingly at some point in the past (hence former and departed).  A recruiting coordinator is likely a person who knows a lot about promises made to recruits and the staff arrangements and possible recruiting violations.   

A football program is a financial and spiritual construct outside of space and time and in some cases beyond space and time in which dreams have more value than the mortal flesh. 

Thank you.  Now I understand.  

All of these minor violations are a result of bitter ex-employee that was terminated. Any wrongdoing uncovered isn’t justified since it’s part of a smear campaign meant to hurt the program.  As always need to include the required mention that this stuff goes on everywhere and the SEC and USC have all been doing it for years.   The NCAA and its rules are antiquated and dumb.   

Just now, Hongbit said:

Thank you.  Now I understand.  

All of these minor violations are a result of bitter ex-employee that was terminated. Any wrongdoing uncovered isn’t justified since it’s part of a smear campaign meant to hurt the program.  As always need to include the required mention that this stuff goes on everywhere and the SEC and USC have all been doing it for years.   The NCAA and its rules are antiquated and dumb.   

We think that is the source of the revelations based on side chatter on the commercial during the MGOBLOG roundtable show today.   According to the people on the show (might have been Sam) Harbaugh knows this could impact recruitment of Jaydn Davis (a human who plays Quarterback) and Davis' father actually told Weiss at one point that he needed to do a better job recruiting him. 

LOL - Doesn't surprise me at all. Schlissel would have ben the first to admit he wouldn't have a clue to how to review Manuel in any meaningful way.  I Imagine as long as Law enforcement and the NCAA were staying away and the AD budget balanced he had nothing to say. Not to mention that if they did have any kind of real working relationship, the formal review process is stupid anyway. Formal review processes are for employess whom their managers don't know well enough to be able to evaluate without one.

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

any boss cant be happy with the way michigan's athletics have been so much in the news under manuel.

the hocket team bullshit, the football team "violations," howard smacking another coach.  its all been bad news under manuel.

those are all coach's management issues you are talking about. You are the big Harbaugh fan, did you want Manuel to fire him? Or Howard? Firing Howard over one incident would have generated a lot more heat than his incident did. (The losses will solve that problem soon enough if they continue!).  Life is a series of choices of the lesser evil. And he did fire Pearson. Firing coaches is a pretty blunt instrument but that's the main one he has for these kinds of incidents.

Warde's bosses have been happy because the program is solvent and supporting new capital investments on campus. For a long time preceeding Ono, the UM admin leadership have not in particular been sport's fans so the bottom line for revenue sports at the Fleming bldg has been -  revenue. Ono is definitely more interested, we'll see what difference if any it makes (and the Fleming Bldg is no more). But he certainly doesn't seem in any hurry to have Manuel sanction Harbaugh for 'being in the news' so much, so there's that.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Schlissel was a joke-and-a-half from top to bottom, it wouldn't surprise me if there are quite a few fires that Coleman couldn't put out as interim.

I doubt if Mary Sue did much of anything in terms of initiatives out of the President's office. I can't think of any evidence of it. Her main obligation as interim was to be available for political and fund raising efforts because the donors want to rub elbows with the U Prez .... and to help find Ono.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I doubt if Mary Sue did much of anything in terms of initiatives out of the President's office. I can think of any evidence of it. Her main obligation as interim was to be available for political and fund raising efforts because the donors want to rub elbows with the U Prez.

I agree. Politics, fundraising, and some sense of stability. If I were her, I wouldn't even want to be doing the nitty gritty. "Emeritus, bitches"

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Schlissel was a joke-and-a-half from top to bottom, it wouldn't surprise me if there are quite a few fires that Coleman couldn't put out as interim.

If you were a sport fan, sure, he was a non-entity. In terms of keeping an even keel when the various crazies at the U start running around with their hair on fire, the go-blue tuition guarantee, and also wrt to running the Univeristy through COVID I thought he he pretty much hit everything spot on. 

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

those are all coach's management issues you are talking about. You are the big Harbaugh fan, did you want Manuel to fire him? Or Howard? Firing Howard over one incident would have generated a lot more heat than his incident did. (The losses will solve that problem soon enough if they continue!).  Life is a series of choices of the lesser evil. And he did fire Pearson. Firing coaches is a pretty blunt instrument but that's the main one he has for these kinds of incidents.

Warde's bosses have been happy because the program is solvent and supporting new capital investments on campus. For a long time preceeding Ono, the UM admin leadership have not in particular been sport's fans so the bottom line for revenue sports at the Fleming bldg has been -  revenue. Ono is definitely more interested, we'll see what difference if any it makes (and the Fleming Bldg is no more). But he certainly doesn't seem in any hurry to have Manuel sanction Harbaugh for 'being in the news' so much, so there's that.

he dithered on pearson for months and months, then hired an outside firm to take the pressure off him and to tell him what to do, then dithered some more even after the outside investigation happened.

howard could easily have been fired after that incident which i wrote at the time.  i think the suspension was justified.

harbaugh is a tough person to work with but it is manuel's job to work with him.  

the solution doesnt have to be "what did you want him to do, fire them?"  the issue is that your job is to run the program smoothly, and when things happen below you in your program YOU are responsible for them.

and if it is true that ono went around him on NIL and harbaugh, that means he isnt doing his job and he needs to be fired.  i know you hate harbaugh, but if manuel's problems with NIL are standing in the way of michigan's signature athletic programs, then manuel needs to go.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you were a sport fan, sure, he was a non-entity. In terms of keeping an even keel when the various crazies at the U start running around with their hair on fire, the go-blue tuition guarantee, and also wrt to running the Univeristy through COVID I thought he he pretty much hit everything spot on. 

I don't think you can evaluate a University President for their sports acumen. It certainly helps as a sports fan if they are beneficial to you (as Santa Ono appears to be and Schlissel wasn't), but their responsibilities are like 1% sports. If the budget is balanced and nothing is on fire, it's really not your arena, short of fundraising and photo ops. The hope is the adults in the room (i.e., Warde) can run their area on their own.

Even-keel is one way of looking at it I suppose, but I thought Schlissel was pretty inept when it came to managing the university. Even notwithstanding his scandalous exodus, he gained a vote of no confidence from the Faculty Senate during the pandemic - the first in the University's history. He oversaw a graduate student strike where he didn't even really become involved in addressing issues until after the strike began. For much of his tenure, he was reactive rather than proactive, and allowed those crazies to drive where he would place focus (which does nothing but encourage more crazies IMO). Even the Go Blue Guarantee, while it was good marketing (love the name), it came following many peer institutes having already come out with those, and frankly to a larger degree.

Michigan is the type of university that is considered among the best in the world. I would like to see them drive institutional change, rather than allow the world around them to change and then adapt and say "look how revolutionary we are!"

YMMV