2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I think it’s exactly the type of release that Harbaugh would be comfortable putting out if they’re working on a contract re-negotiation that is not yet a done deal.  If Harbaugh was intent on going to NFL as long as someone offered him a job, there would be little upside to him to putting out this statement. Basically, “yeah, if I’m paid well in a re-done contract I’m more than open to staying, but if you squeeze me or an NFL blows me away with something, I will weigh my options”. 

I suppose it depends on how much of the old Bo kind of sentiment still exists in the AD and admin -- As in 'if you can't decide you want to be here, we can find someone else just like we found you."   You have to remember the people Harbaugh is dealing are mostly people with big accomplishments of their own and if they believe Harbaugh's success is at least as much due to the University as it is to him, there will be a limit to how much of the Hamlet routine will help him. The old "This is Michgan" routine, "we can get anyone we want to come here." Not saying this is the case, but that it's always a possibility to keep in mind. Remember Bo as AD locked a guy out of the building that had gotten him to an NCAA championship for 'disloyalty'. I wouldn't necessarily assume that level of arrogance doesn't still exist in the people Harbaugh is negotiating with so they probably are not going to be easy enough for him to roll that they are going to fall over because of a press release. 

And of course the bottom line if he wants more money is that Manuel has to find it somewhere on the outside and if he can't you have to get the regents onboard (i.e. cat herding) and either of those  can take time. So if Harbaugh is sitting on a time sensitive NFL offer there is another factor. 

Oddly enough, J Howard's current struggles probably increase Harbaugh's leverage if makes them think twice about how hard it is to replace a winning coach.

59 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I suppose it depends on how much of the old Bo kind of sentiment still exists in the AD and admin -- As in 'if you can't decide you want to be here, we can find someone else just like we found you."   You have to remember the people Harbaugh is dealing are mostly people with big accomplishments of their own and if they believe Harbaugh's success is at least as much due to the University as it is to him, there will be a limit to how much of the Hamlet routine will help him. The old "This is Michgan" routine, "we can get anyone we want to come here." Not saying this is the case, but that it's always a possibility to keep in mind. Remember Bo as AD locked a guy out of the building that had gotten him to an NCAA championship for 'disloyalty'. I wouldn't necessarily assume that level of arrogance doesn't still exist in the people Harbaugh is negotiating with so they probably are not going to be easy enough for him to roll that they are going to fall over because of a press release. 

And of course the bottom line if he wants more money is that Manuel has to find it somewhere on the outside and if he can't you have to get the regents onboard (i.e. cat herding) and either of those  can take time. So if Harbaugh is sitting on a time sensitive NFL offer there is another factor. 

Oddly enough, J Howard's current struggles probably increase Harbaugh's leverage if makes them think twice about how hard it is to replace a winning coach.

who did bo lock out of the building that got him to a national championship for disloyalty?

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I know this is another nothing story that is no big deal and blown out of proportion. 

LOL - So all the while we thought nutcase Harbaugh had gone into remission, maybe he was still there waiting to strike again. 

Maybe it's going to turn out the buy-out language supposedly being argued about was Harbaugh wanted out of the the University's right to terminate if the program was found guilty of violations....:classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - So all the while we thought nutcase Harbaugh had gone into remission, maybe he was still there waiting to strike again. 

Maybe it's going to turn out the buy-out language supposedly being argued about was Harbaugh wanted out of the the University's right to terminate if the program was found guilty of violations....:classic_laugh:

Romad and Buddha will both be along shortly to explain how this is a giant nothing burger.   

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Romad and Buddha will both be along shortly to explain how this is a giant nothing burger.   

as usual when a negative story breaks about UM sport - Crickets in the Ann Arbor News...😱

Maybe it will be nothing, but a difficulty here on the Level one charge is that it doesn't require a lot of outside corroboration, the investigators themselves are their own evidentiary source which could make it a lot harder to argue the the facts of the charge with any success.

Edited by gehringer_2

The rumors about him entertaining the NFL again have said it’s not about money and more about the changes and restrictions in the college game. Allegations like these may be the final straw for him.   Options are aplenty as he’s already been listed as a candidate for 3 jobs and Black Monday is still a few days away.  

sounds like the initial investigation was rather minor, but then he "misled" investigators.......that's the kicker.    and yes, all schools probably do what they did, but it still doesn't make it right..........I mean everybody speeds, but when you get caught, you're in the wrong.      

He wants to be so much like Bo...................well he's nailing it with Bowl Games.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The rumors about him entertaining the NFL again have said it’s not about money and more about the changes and restrictions in the college game.

right - certainly puts a different spin on Bacon's report earlier report. On its initial face you'd have thought "changes" meant NIL, and the portal and player payment issues - in retrospect it now appears it was less about the nature of college football in the future and more about the inconvenience of having to follow the rules.

Edited by gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

right - certainly puts a different spin on Bacon's report earlier report. On its initial face you'd have thought "changes" meant NIL, and the portal and player payment issues - in retrospect it now appears it was less about the nature of college football in the future and more about the inconvenience of having to follow the rules.

Bacon mentioned the violations in his blogpost from earlier today, but certainly downplayed it as very minor.

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

as opposed to you, who will tell us how michigan stretching for an extra 5 minutes before practice is a sign that the program is actually as dirty as mississippi state.  lol.

and it is funny that the most "holier than thou" poster on this board when it comes to ncaa violations isnt a michigan fan, but a usc fan.

40 minutes ago, buddha said:

as opposed to you, who will tell us how michigan stretching for an extra 5 minutes before practice is a sign that the program is actually as dirty as mississippi state.  lol.

and it is funny that the most "holier than thou" poster on this board when it comes to ncaa violations isnt a michigan fan, but a usc fan.

I'm not going to say its a nothingburger.  I'll say I HOPE its a nothingburger.   

ESPN.

The violations include alleged impermissible contact with recruits during the NCAA-mandated dead periods, as well as the use of a defensive analyst for on-field coaching activities, a rules violation. Sources told ESPN that Harbaugh's cooperation with NCAA enforcement staff during the investigation is also being examined. Harbaugh could face penalties that include a multigame suspension, sources said.

lol.  very serious indeed.

This is the same as Mazi.  A minor issue that was handled poorly by the adults in the room.  Admit and own up to minor issues and self impose small punishments because rules were still broken even if there was no intent.  

Instead they either try to hide or lie and hope it goes away.   That rarely works out well.   Why even risk making a bigger issue out of something that is nothing.   Warde really sucks at this job.  

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

ESPN.

The violations include alleged impermissible contact with recruits during the NCAA-mandated dead periods, as well as the use of a defensive analyst for on-field coaching activities, a rules violation. Sources told ESPN that Harbaugh's cooperation with NCAA enforcement staff during the investigation is also being examined. Harbaugh could face penalties that include a multigame suspension, sources said.

lol.  very serious indeed.

The oh by the way part at the end about Harbaugh lying that is glossed over by ESPN is a big deal.  Type 1 violations are serious.