Week Three: Detroit Lions (1-1) @ Minnesota Vikings (1-1)

MichiganCardinal

They played well enough to win this game.   Some very poor play calling decisions on crucial plays along with the choice to try a 54 yd FG at the end ultimately lost this one.   Not just Campbell either, AG has to own this one big time too.   Inexcusable to not take out Oruwariye and let Will Harris play.   

1 minute ago, TP_Fan said:

Dan Campbell is a fucking loser man. 4th and 4. Chance to win the game, goes for the 54 yard FG instead. Of all the bravado he speaks with when the chips were down he folded. He was bluffing the whole time. Campbell single handedly lost that game. 

That was a bad playcall. Not Nathaniel Hackett-level bad, but still not good.

1 minute ago, TP_Fan said:

Dan Campbell is a fucking loser man. 4th and 4. Chance to win the game, goes for the 54 yard FG instead. Of all the bravado he speaks with when the chips were down he folded. He was bluffing the whole time. Campbell single handedly lost that game. 

Going for it on 4th down at midfield was also very, very stupid. Coaches have been fired for less. Of course, it led to a Viking TD.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Going for it on 4th down at midfield was also very, very stupid. Coaches have been fired for less. Of course, it led to a Viking TD.

Yep. Today was a clinic of bad coaching. Goes for it at the wrong time and doesn’t go for it when he should. 

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They played well enough to win this game.   Some very poor play calling decisions on crucial plays along with the choice to try a 54 yd FG at the end ultimately lost this one.   Not just Campbell either, AG has to own this one big time too.   Inexcusable to not take out Oruwariye and let Will Harris play.   

As bad as Harris has been, Amani needed to go.

in the big picture this was a game they were supposed to lose.  on the road against a division opponent who is a decent team.

now they need to come back and smoke seattle next week and go get a winnable road game in new england.  that will be the test of whether they can be a player in a bad nfc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

seriously.

campbell made a mistake at the end of the game.  other than that i thought he was really good.

One mistake? Wasting timeouts AGAIN, going for the field goal from a mile away, went to the well too many times with 4th down calls, no creativity in the run game when they had the lead, going deep on a 3rd and 1 up by 10, Williams to the outside on 4th down. A few others as well.  Just like the Eagles game, too many head scratching decisions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

in the big picture this was a game they were supposed to lose.  on the road against a division opponent who is a decent team.

now they need to come back and smoke seattle next week and go get a winnable road game in new england.  that will be the test of whether they can be a player in a bad nfc.

In the end, they choked the game away. There's no excuse for losing the game the way they did.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it’s very simplistic to blame Campbell for this loss. Talent-wise, the Vikings are in another league, especially when you take injuries into account.

Did he make a critical poor decision or two? Yes.

To say he cost us the game though ignores the benefits he’s instilled behind the scenes.

0-9-1 as a head coach in the road.  At least everyone likes him though!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

One mistake? Wasting timeouts AGAIN, going for the field goal from a mile away, went to the well too many times with 4th down calls, no creativity in the run game when they had the lead, going deep on a 3rd and 1 up by 10, Williams to the outside on 4th down. A few others as well.  Just like the Eagles game, too many head scratching decisions.

i missed your criticims when they were making tbose 4th downs and when they were up 10 in the 4th.

i thought 75% of his calls on 4th down were right.  but he whiffed on the biggest one and it cost them the game.

that said, mike hughes sucks.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it’s very simplistic to blame Campbell for this loss. Talent-wise, the Vikings are in another league, especially when you take injuries into account.

Did he make a critical poor decision or two? Yes.

To say he cost us the game though ignores the benefits he’s instilled behind the scenes.

1 critical mistake?  It’s 3rd and 1, why are they throwing it 20 yards? 4th and 1 and then run Williams to the outside? Go for it on 4th from midfield?  Kick the FG instead of doing literally anything else?  He got his ass handed to him. 

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

i missed your criticims when they were making tbose 4th downs and when they were up 10 in the 4th.

i thought 75% of his calls on 4th down were right.  but he whiffed on the biggest one and it cost them the game.

that said, mike hughes sucks.

Some of the 4th down calls were fine but it was too much. At some point, you can't coach this game like a video game. Going for it near lidfield in the 2nd quarter I believe, was one that I vehemently disagreed with. I'm just an armchair coach but there's too many instances when I find myself thinking that Campbell coaches like an amateur at times. He's not a rookie coach anymore, he needs to start learning from his mistakes.

Edited by NYLion

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

In the end, they choked the game away. There's no excuse for losing the game the way they did.

He was aggressive all day long. He didn't trust Austin Seibert at any point until then. Why the hell did Campbell put the game on the back of an inconsistent kicker who he can't trusted in prior situations? I think you either go for it or punt there. Even if prime Jason Hanson was our kicker, that would have been the wrong call. Campbell blew it here, no excusing that. He was aggressive and unafraid all day until it mattered most.