Week Three: Detroit Lions (1-1) @ Minnesota Vikings (1-1)

MichiganCardinal

57 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yes and Swift is playing on one ankle. 

Edit: They both rushed for 4.4 ypc. The league average. Mediocre. Yes Williams’s average would have been higher had he not hit paydirt, but we did not have the explosive plays in the running game that powered the offense in the first two weeks. 

Williams is at 3.9 YPC for the season. Despite the strength of the OL. 

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

This.  Before the season most of people put the Lions at 6-8 wins... not quite good enough to be average.  The Vikings are an above average team so you'd expect them to lose.  That's not to say I'm happy about it... I think they could have won if they'd just played a little bit better.  But I guess I didn't expect them to win.

I said during the preseason that I didn't care as much about wins and losses as I did about player development and competent coaches that run the game right. While I still am not focused in on wins/losses, they should have won this game. We can't as fans adopt a complacent attitude where we only expect wins games against teams we think they should beat and lose to everyone else. Underdogs can still be expected to win when put in the right situation. I honestly don't believe we were that much of an underdog.

Furthermore, while I do see obvious improvement in a lot of areas of this team, especially on offense, I still don't fully trust Campbell's coaching and decision making. Twice this year Campbell has made game-changing decisions that have blown up on him, been to this team's detriment, and put his team in a position to lose or hinder a comeback. We're 3 games into the season and 2 of the 3 games thus far we're talking about coaching as a whole and mishaps from Campbell.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Just now, buddha said:

are you saying williams is as explosive as swift?

I declare on this the 25th day of September in the year 2022 that Jamaal Williams is in no way, shape or form as explosive as D'andre Swift. I unequivocally, 100%, without a doubt, definitively state that Jamaal Williams is not as explosive as D'Andre Swift. I also do not declare or endorse that Jamaal Williams is an equal or superior back to D'Andre Swift.

I understand on this forum that if you mention two players in a single post that is construed as them being equal. I reiterate, that Jamaal Williams is not as explosive as D'Andre Swift. I hope that this is clear enough and will document this post for future reference when the subject is sure to come up a year from now.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

This.  Before the season most of people put the Lions at 6-8 wins... not quite good enough to be average.  The Vikings are an above average team so you'd expect them to lose.  That's not to say I'm happy about it... I think they could have won if they'd just played a little bit better.  But I guess I didn't expect them to win.

Sure but when you're up by 10 midway through the 4th with the ball, you should expect to win every time.

I get that there is a bigger picture thing and the Lions are still a ways off from being a good team but it doesn't make the frustration any less when they completely self destruct in a very winnable game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Sure but when you're up by 10 midway through the 4th with the ball, you should expect to win every time.

I get that there is a bigger picture thing and the Lions are still a ways off from being a good team but it doesn't make the frustration any less when they completely self destruct in a very winnable game.

They do not have the depth to close out games. 

Yes, Campbell should have gone for it at the end. But maybe the result would have been the same. In any case, Swift was hurt, ASB was dinged, Reynolds was dinged, Hutch was dinged, Amani had a horrible game, Walker probably tore his Achilles, and Holmes gambled on two DL who have given us nothing this season. Another draft will make a substantial difference. 

Jalen Hurts looks is the leading MVP candidate in the NFL right now, and that should be somewhat encouraging as a Lions fan

One thing we knew going into the season is they are still building and don't have much depth and we're seeing that sting them already. 

Goff is not the problem.  This team needs to really focus on defense in the next offseason.  2 LBs, at least 1 CB and I really hope that Levi & Alim and Josh come in and do something because it would be really annoying to have to spend more draft picks on the D-Line in the Top 3 round yet again 

47 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I declare on this the 25th day of September in the year 2022 that Jamaal Williams is in no way, shape or form as explosive as D'andre Swift. I unequivocally, 100%, without a doubt, definitively state that Jamaal Williams is not as explosive as D'Andre Swift. I also do not declare or endorse that Jamaal Williams is an equal or superior back to D'Andre Swift.

I understand on this forum that if you mention two players in a single post that is construed as them being equal. I reiterate, that Jamaal Williams is not as explosive as D'Andre Swift. I hope that this is clear enough and will document this post for future reference when the subject is sure to come up a year from now.

well, he said swift was more explosive and you came back and posted stats showing jamal williams had a similar yards per carry.

why would you post that stat after he posted what he said? 

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

well, he said swift was more explosive and you came back and posted stats showing jamal williams had a similar yards per carry.

why would you post that stat after he posted what he said? 

The comment I was responding to was:

"Jamaal Williams is a great story but he has been mediocre as RB2."

Williams averaged 4.4 YPC with 2 TDs. He's fine as RB2. He was as productive as Swift in this game. In fact, he even had a longer run than Swift. If he was more explosive he would be a number one back. Williams ranks pretty low on issues with this team and this game.

I will reiterate again that Williams is not as explosive as Swift. Unfortunately I cannot be more clear.

Yes, Williams is “fine.” Average. No, he is not the biggest problem. But he is one of several examples of the team’s lack of depth.

That lack of depth is why I’m not bent out of shape about the loss. The team is outperforming my optimistic expectations on offense and meeting my pessimistic expectations on defense.  Still, there is no reason they can’t go into the bye 3-2, then come back with Swift and Jaymo rested and mow down a weak schedule down the stretch. 

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not buying lack of depth as a factor.  They were the better team for most of the day.  They had many chances to put the game away.  It shouldn’t have come down to asking one of the Hughes Bros. to make a play.    

Yes, they were the better team until Swift couldn’t carry the ball, ASB couldn’t get separation from a LB, hobbled Hutch and the DL couldn’t pressure Cousins, and their weak DBs got exposed. And then when their second and third string players were asked to close, they couldn’t. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

It appears Mac Jones has a high ankle sprain and will be out a few weeks.   Lions will probably see Brian Hoyer in 2 weeks in New England.

neither of them are very good.

pats dont have a ton of talent.  good thing they drafted a guard with their first round pick this year.

38 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yes, Williams is “fine.” Average. No, he is not the biggest problem. But he is one of several examples of the team’s lack of depth.

That lack of depth is why I’m not bent out of shape about the loss. The team is outperforming my optimistic expectations on offense and meeting my pessimistic expectations on defense.  Still, there is no reason they can’t go into the bye 3-2, then come back with Swift and Jaymo rested and mow down a weak schedule down the stretch. 

I don't think Williams is the example of this team's lack of depth.

He's the tough guy who gets tough yards. Not the game-breaker.

Swift is the game-breaker.

And if Swift is nicked up... we turn to Craig Reynolds. Who is a nice story... but he's like the Victor Reyes of the Lions.  You really don't want to see much of him at all. Maybe on a series or a couple plays to give Swift a breather as needed.

Craig Reynolds is the depth problem. But, then again... it's not like every other team has two explosive game-breaking RB's and a short yardage tough guy in their RB stable.

Although... I don't know why Justin Jackson didn't get the 3rd RB spot... but that's just me. I don't want to call him a gamebreaker either... but I thought he was better than Reynolds...

It's clear there has been a lot of improvement by numerous players and positions groups on this team. D'Andre Swift, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Josh Reynolds, the entire Offensive Line, all have taken big steps forward and look better year-to-date. No player though has taken a bigger step forward than Jeff Okudah. Okudah looks like a completely different player and his career has done a pleasantly surprising 180 degree turn. The guy is show shades of being the lock down corner we drafted him to be and has shut down several top receivers including Terry McLaurin and Justin Jefferson today. You love to see what Okudah has done this year and especially in today's game.