22-23 Red Wings Prospects Threads

slothfacekilla

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Should Simon Edvinsson make the main roster right from the get go this season? I say yes and go as far as saying I want him starting over Chiarot.

he's recovering from surgery.  i doubt he'll be fully healthy until after the start of the season.

Ya the earliest estimation he would be back is next month, I haven't seen any rumblings about him coming back so my guess is that he is trending more towards the November estimate.  Even if he's back sooner than November he's missing a lot of valuable off season training and training camp, he'll definitely be in Grand Rapids to start the season and there will probably need to be some injuries for him to get the call.  My guess is we are going to see:

Seider - Walman

Chiarot - Holl

Maata / Petry - Gostisbehere

Even if Simon were healthy he would have had to have a great camp to force his way into the top six (though maybe no Petry trade or one of the signings if he's not hurt and ready for camp?).  We probably won't see him or Willy Wally for a bit sadly.

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

... My guess is we are going to see:

Seider - Walman

Chiarot - Holl

Maata / Petry - Gostisbehere

Even if ...

Chiarot is losing NHL mobility by the minute. He may have NHL toughness still, but no longer the defense.

I think that creates both difficulties and opportunities:

A Petry-Gostisbehere pairing probably needs to be 90% offense and 10% defense... so protected... but also pretty dangerous on offense/ PP so I think this pairing holds and is utilized as I said in a protected/ offensive game plan.

Maatta-Holl looks good as a 2-way, but then what to do with Chiarot? 

I think he has to be utilized in measured doses. So it should be more like Maatta/Chiarot - Holl IMO.

Which means when Simon is ready... and I agree it doesn't look like he'll be ready at the start of the season + I think they want him to learn a couple things at a much higher level (I forget specifics) before he gets more NHL time. The opportunity is that: Maatta/Chiarot left side on the second pairing. I would have no qualms benching either one of these guys if Simon is indeed ready...

Or... both.

Or... if one of them gets injured for a couple weeks and Simon is (A) not quite ready then the other guy starts and McIsaac gets called up as 7th or (B) IS ready then Simon gets called up and takes over the left-side 2nd pairing for as long as he is up...

Edited by 1984Echoes

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Chiarot is losing NHL mobility by the minute. He may have NHL toughness still, but no longer the defense.

I think that creates both difficulties and opportunities:

A Petry-Gostisbehere pairing probably needs to be 90% offense and 10% defense... so protected... but also pretty dangerous on offense/ PP so I think this pairing holds and is utilized as I said in a protected/ offensive game plan.

Maatta-Holl looks good as a 2-way, but then what to do with Chiarot? 

I think he has to be utilized in measured doses. So it should be more like Maatta/Chiarot - Holl IMO.

Which means when Simon is ready... and I agree it doesn't look like he'll be ready at the start of the season + I think they want him to learn a couple things at a much higher level (I forget specifics) before he gets more NHL time. The opportunity is that: Maatta/Chiarot left side on the second pairing. I would have no qualms benching either one of these guys if Simon is indeed ready...

Chiarot's Corsi stats were dreadful last year and continued to decline from his career averages. His Corsi For Percentage (CF%) was42.5% and was down from career average of 49.7%. Also, leaving the advanced stats aside, the eye test just told you that he looked a step slower out there and wasn't as good of a defender as he had been in prior years. I'd love to have a healthy Edvinsson on this roster to take over from a guy who is becoming Darrian Hatcher the Red Wing years.

I think we're going to be disappointed if we expect the Wings to bench Chiarot if he's healthy next season.  He's got their highest cap hit among defensemen and wore a letter last season so they probably think something of him.  I would be shocked if they didn't force him into a sizeable role.  I don't necessarily like it but I think we'll see him getting a lot of time with whoever else is paired with him on the second pairing.  In a perfect world he plays third pairing and kills penalties but I just am not expecting it.  If he continues to decline next season Yzerman is going to have to give a hard thought to getting him off the roster one way or the other for the last two years of his contract.

Chariot isn't that old that he should be losing his legs that badly. Hopefully he had something slowing him down last year and he will bound back a little or you'd like to believe if the Wings thought he was getting slow put they him on a custom conditioning program. Hockey isn't like hitting the fastball, 33 isn't that old for a D man. 

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Chariot isn't that old that he should be losing his legs that badly. Hopefully he had something slowing him down last year and he will bound back a little or you'd like to believe if the Wings thought he was getting slow put they him on a custom conditioning program. Hockey isn't like hitting the fastball, 33 isn't that old for a D man. 

He looked like he slowed down and the game was being played too quickly for him. You didn't see the same aggressiveness as a defensive defenceman and the puck clearing ability that he was brought in to display. He reminded me of Derian Hatcher when Holland brought him in years ago.

Bummer that ASP can't participate but he's still getting good reps in in Sweden.  This is an intriguing roster honestly, lots of things to keep an eye on for me.  Will Cossa show some consistency and improvement?  How does Danielson look?  Do any of Mazur, Doucet, Lombardi, or Soderblom look close to contributing at the NHL level? How does Tuomisto do after really improving his stock?  Will Wallinder take over as the defacto 1D?  Does Gibson follow close behind?

• 2 weeks later...

Would have loved to see Cossa make a save on one of those goals.  They weren't easy plays by any means but I'm ready for him to start stealing games against his peers because I'm impatient haha.  I thought Tuomisto had a good game overall.  I like that Lombardi and Kasper are trying flashier plays.  I hope Mazur isn't too seriously injured.  Connor Punnett absolutely railroaded Dallas' captain then beat up the poor kid who tried to fight him.  Overall it was nice to see some "hockey" !