22-23 Red Wings Prospects Threads

slothfacekilla

48 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Before the surgery announcement, did we even know he had been injured? I just thought he played 9 games and then was stopped to not burn a year. I might not have been paying attention though. 

I thought he missed a game / was day to day when he got called up, at the time I figured it might be managing his games played.  Doing a little googling it oddly looks like a lower body injury though.  I think it was Gudas who hit him?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Wow, Veleno at #6 ahead of Brady Tkachuk. No wonder I was so excited the night of that draft. And couldn’t wait to see Zadina suit up in a Wings uniform and fill the net with pucks.   

29 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

I'll take it over Veleno has no points in four games

I just find him frustrating. He's sort of a quintessential AAAA player. He has a certain skill set that works at lower levels, it doesn't play well at the NHL level but he shows no sign of moving on from it. How many hundred times did Veleno start the same rush up along the boards only to be met and erased by the NHL caliber defender he can't beat waiting for him? Result being just another give away.

They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? That's been Joe's game.

Edited by gehringer_2

If you're trying to find value in Joe Veleno's offensive game/point production in the NHL you're going to have a bad time.  But outside of starting a majority of his zone starts in the defensive zone he's largely been a negative elsewhere too so I'm hoping he can round out his defensive game a bit to be a bit of a fourth line PK guy.  I'm not sure many saw him being some offensive dynamo in the NHL which is why he was there at the second to last pick of the first.   Honestly that 2018 draft really doesn't have a lot of talent outside the top 4.  You have a couple solid guys in Dobson and Farabee who both went top 15, and Q. Hughes if you like that type of d-man.  Otherwise it is just like... Sharangovich in the later rounds.  Kurashev has been pretty good and some defensemen like Durzi are kinda intriguing.  But overall that draft was meh.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

If you're trying to find value in Joe Veleno's offensive game/point production in the NHL you're going to have a bad time.  But outside of starting a majority of his zone starts in the defensive zone he's largely been a negative elsewhere too so I'm hoping he can round out his defensive game a bit to be a bit of a fourth line PK guy.  I'm not sure many saw him being some offensive dynamo in the NHL which is why he was there at the second to last pick of the first.   Honestly that 2018 draft really doesn't have a lot of talent outside the top 4.  You have a couple solid guys in Dobson and Farabee who both went top 15, and Q. Hughes if you like that type of d-man.  Otherwise it is just like... Sharangovich in the later rounds.  Kurashev has been pretty good and some defensemen like Durzi are kinda intriguing.  But overall that draft was meh.

I don't know if he's quick enough on this skates to become a good pressuring forechecker, but sure, I'd take that kind of outcome - it's a big need on the current team.

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if he's quick enough on this skates to become a good pressuring forechecker, but sure, I'd take that kind of outcome - it's a big need on the current team.

It is a shame we can't combine Zadina and Veleno into one player.  Zadina actually appears fairly competent on the forecheck and he could really use Veleno's straight forward game play imo.  Unfortunately the Filoe Zaleno player still would be incapable of scoring but what can you do.

It would be nice if either player had a sort of Rasmussen emergence like last season but I honestly don't see it without things fundamentally changing in both of their games.  At least Berggren seems to have utility from that draft....