Week Five: Detroit Lions (1-3) @ New England Patriots (1-3)

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I still can't get over Campbell's decisions to go for it on 4th & 9 yesterday when only down 6-0. Why the hell did you sign Michael Badgley if you have no faith in him to make a field goal of any distance apparently? You might as well have kept Seibert around if you aren't going to use the kicker.

Agreed...DC seems to be hung up on 4th down decisions.  He needs to listen to his QC people about go/no-go decisions (I hope they have that info in hand!)

13 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

The Lions were down 4 starters on offense in Chark, Williams, Swift, and Vaitai. Plus ARB was severely limited and they were down to there third string RG.  Those are their best weapons on offense. That said they still gained over 300 yards, but shot themselves in the foot too often.

On defense they are still without Levi, Paschel, Harris, Walker, Okwara, and Jacobs. Plus they had DB's dropping all game. They had about 5-6 guys that were either waiver claims or didn't make the team out of camp on the field for much of the game.

I still think if they get reasonably healthy they are close to a playoff team. They are way to thin right now to absorb so many injuries and compete. Some of that is just dumb luck and some are mistakes by Holmes like Brockers and spending too many draft resources on players with injury histories.

So the got pantsed by Belichick, not the first team that has happened to. They were outgained like 360 to 302, so it wasn't that bad. They need to get healthy before we can bury them this year.

Their errors in calling and executing several key plays led to one TD for them and took two FG off the boards potentially for us, and also Goffs Goal line INT.  The score could have been 22-14 (two FG and a TD+2pt for the Lions) in the final quarter rather than a hopeless blowout.

These errors were not random in any way, they came directly from the head coach and from Goff,  By virtue of a snowball effect of questionable decision-making on DCs part about 4th downs that has snowballed into a kind of death loop, and now Goff forced a couple of key plays with catastrophic results.

They lost to a below average team in New England that played disciplined football and didn't make overly risky decisions.

If the problem is that we can't get anyone to kick a field goal, that would be a super crappy reflection on Holmes.

DC needs to get heavily into QC about making decisions in the game.  He should be sticking with the odds in every situation and 3 situation and not gambling the farm on every 4th down.

Edited by sabretooth

goff looked like shit in that game.  the pats overwhelmed the offensive line, which was supposed to be the strength of the team.

i dont have a problem in going for it on 4th down, i have a problem with the execution on 4th down.  this is the second week in a row the lions appeared to be outcoached.  last week it was the defense, this week it was the offense.

injuries are a huge issue with this team (again), and you cant expect the depth to be there after 2 drafts considering what was left from the previous regime.

but i think we can say a couple things.  1) okudah is not a top cover corner yet.  he's better than last year, but he was burned multiple times in this game by zappe and the pats' receivers, none of whom have any reputation in the league.  he has to be better.  hopefully he will get there, but dk metcalf (and me) were right: he looked great when he had safety help.  take it away and he hasnt been great.  the other corner spot has been a disaster.

2) goff is who we thought he was: if he has a clean pocket, he can be ok.  put some pressure on him and he curls up and dies.  

3) they have no pass rush.  still.  julian okwara is probably not on the team next year.  is romeo coming back this season?  austin bryant was just as good as hutch, which says more about hutch than bryant.

lets see how they look coming out of the bye week.  they should be healthier.  they need to at least be competitive in their next three games.  

allow me to play dean wormer to brad holmes: Bad, unlucky, and injured is no way to go through life, son.  its how you get fired.

22 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't know if it's just him being a rookie or coaching or a combination of the two, but Hutch looks overmatched through 5 weeks. I'm not worrying too much yet and certainly not writing him off. But he hasn't produced anything of statistical note outside of the Washington game. I'll admit I expected him to get it going quickly and be an impact defender almost immediately.

I refuse to accept Hutch is a bust until the Lions start using him like Michigan used him in 2021.  And his struggles are being accentuated by our crappy defense overall.  The Lions have 7 sacks on the year.  Only Arizona and LV are worse with 6 and 5.