Week Five: Detroit Lions (1-3) @ New England Patriots (1-3)

2 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Sorry i missed the first part

And you're right a bunch of last place teams all had great rosters. That's why they are in last. Also the eagles were apprently in the superbowl but also in last in 2020. 

Jags Jets Falcons all had outstanding rosters in 2020. Just great. They were the envy of the league in 2020. 

Now, let's talk about the fact you ignroed the Jags coaching system from last year. The fact you ignroed the Giants changed everybody. That the jets hired a coach when we did. The eagles changed thier QB instead of running with the marignal guy they used to have. They have all show progress this year and we are 1-4 with a roster still desperate for even marginal talent. 

You talk about the picks we haven't gotten from the stafford trade. But, what about the ones we did. The trade was supposed to jump start the rebuild with both extra picks and cap space. We havne't seen the fruits of any of that. In fact, the main pick we have used from Stafford trade so far hasn't even played. 

You can just excuse everything given where the roster was in 2020. The rest of us know where the roster was too. We knew it wasn't gonna be a one year turnaround. But, also we can go why the hell did every other team who was awful when we started this rebuild find a way to get better meanwhile we are heading for a top 3 pick yet again? 

THen again, we also knew Stafford and Goff wasn't the same so we probably started with a leg up too. Much like those other 7 garbage teams from 2020 apparently

I meant to say 2018 on the Eagles. I'm sure you knew that but you're better at being a dick.

I never said the Jaguars, Jets or Falcons had outstanding rosters in 2020. Once again you're nothing but a liar who likes to twist people's word.

The Jets hired Joe Douglas in 2019. They were 2-14 in his second year. Jacksonville is 2-3 who lost to the winless Texans. The Jaguars are coming off back to back number one picks. The Eagles were in the Super Bowl in 2018. They didn't have a garbage roster one year removed in 2020. I'm not sold yet on the Giants. Even if they do finish well, I wouldn't count on miracle turnarounds.

What cap space? Goff literally makes more than Stafford. That's why the Lions got an additional first which still hasn't been received yet. They drafted Williams knowing he wouldn't be healthy because this was longer than a one year rebuild.

Once again, I never said Goff and Stafford were the same you liar. Provide the receipts. Here's my post from January 22nd:

" I never said at any point in time on either forum that Goff was a better QB. I'm unequivocally stating Stafford is a better NFL QB than Goff. In in no way, shape or form claimed, inferred or insinuated in the post that Goff was a better QB."

Now apologize you liar or STFU.

Why the heck didnt we sign and keep Prater?  We have left a lot of points on the table and DC is now going for it on 4th and 9 from the 34 in the 1st half with a 1st start rookie QB for the Patriots.  

They absolutely should have kicked the FG against the Vikings but their previous lousy K couldnt get the job done.  I realize that 50+ yarders are not sure things but this is ridiculous.

Holmes has blown it by not keeping the right K, and DC is turning into a laughingstock on 4th down calls in the opps 35 yard area as a result.

Edited by sabretooth

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I meant to say 2018 on the Eagles. I'm sure you knew that but you're better at being a dick.

I never said the Jaguars, Jets or Falcons had outstanding rosters in 2020. Once again you're nothing but a liar who likes to twist people's word.

The Jets hired Joe Douglas in 2019. They were 2-14 in his second year. Jacksonville is 2-3 who lost to the winless Texans. The Jaguars are coming off back to back number one picks. The Eagles were in the Super Bowl in 2018. They didn't have a garbage roster one year removed in 2020. I'm not sold yet on the Giants. Even if they do finish well, I wouldn't count on miracle turnarounds.

What cap space? Goff literally makes more than Stafford. That's why the Lions got an additional first which still hasn't been received yet. They drafted Williams knowing he wouldn't be healthy because this was longer than a one year rebuild.

Once again, I never said Goff and Stafford were the same you liar. Provide the receipts. Here's my post from January 22nd:

" I never said at any point in time on either forum that Goff was a better QB. I'm unequivocally stating Stafford is a better NFL QB than Goff. In in no way, shape or form claimed, inferred or insinuated in the post that Goff was a better QB."

Now apologize you liar or STFU.

You get kinda testy when the Lions lose. All those crummy teams you mentioned? Compare their playoff history with Detroits. It's amazing anyone can defend the Lions, their organization or their coaches. Any early guesses on who our next coach will be? Because Hollywood Dan's days should be numbered.

And no way is Stafford as good as Goff. He's old and worn out. Offense isn't our problem, it's our defense. One bad offensive road game is really a small sample size. 

We may get 2 early 1st round picks. The Rams aren't looking too good.

Not one single phase of their game worked well today. 

The best you can say is that the defense wasn't the worst in NFL history again like it was last week....just really bad.

They have had an epic amount of injuries.  But they fought through injuries to play decently or even well in certain phases earlier this year.

At least they didn't play Oruwariye (or however you spell it).

But dammit they got torched defensively by a third-string QB and another mediocre running back.

And now they can't seem to keep *anybody* healthy for more than a quarter of a game.

And Hutchinson looks like he's heading for a personal lost rookie season on a D-Line that is NFL-worst, along with the invisible McNeil and Brockers and others that Holmes targeted.....they all have been completely crappy.

Maybe Cominsky can help turn things around?  A waiver pickup is our hope now?  Gads.

And a K position that is the worst in Lion's memory.

The 1st overall pick isn't going to turn things around for this team, sorry folks.

Prior to the Seattle debacle, it was looking like an organization on the rise that just needed some breaks. 

Two absolutely horrifying games later and the wheels look like they are coming off.

After the buy week the real competition starts.

Feels like they are going to need a freaking miracle to get this on track again.

This is one of my real low points as a Lions fan since the 1970s....that is saying a whole lot.

optimism is for suckers.

two years in a row of being bad AND injured.  sheesh, lions.

hutch is a rookie, so he gets a pass.  but if the announcers keep talking about how he's been great in the pass rush because he got three garbage sacks against washington im gonna lose it.  he's provided almost nothing in the pass rush so far.  again, rookie.  i get it.  but lets call it like it is.

what matt judon did today is a pass rush.  hutch hasnt done that all season.

I don't know if it's just him being a rookie or coaching or a combination of the two, but Hutch looks overmatched through 5 weeks. I'm not worrying too much yet and certainly not writing him off. But he hasn't produced anything of statistical note outside of the Washington game. I'll admit I expected him to get it going quickly and be an impact defender almost immediately.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't know if it's just him being a rookie or coaching or a combination of the two, but Hutch looks overmatched through 5 weeks. I'm not worrying too much yet and certainly not writing him off. But he hasn't produced anything of statistical note outside of the Washington game. I'll admit I expected him to get it going quickly and be an impact defender almost immediately.

he's been invisible without cominsky in on third downs.  he hasnt beaten one offensive tackle for a sack yet.  and the times he has gotten through, the qb has just side stepped him and took off running.

like all of us here, i dont know the position or football, but i know what i see and what i dont see.  i dont see anything from him.

patience.  he's a rookie.  

ive never been more depressed about the lions as i am after the last two weeks.

shame on me for thinking they might be turning it around.  and i'll talk myself back into thinking theyre on the right track and that its the injuries, etc etc.

sucks to root for this stupid team.

add zappe to the long list of never weres and has beens who have made the lions (and their forever gullible fans) look stupid.

oh well.  its hockey season now.

• Sad 1

After the offensive production in games 1 - 4 I expected them to get the defense more or less to where it was today and to at least be hanging around .500 with higher scoring games.

I did not anticipate what happened today.  The thought entered my mind of course, anything can happen in one game, but this just blows my doors off to see us get humiliated like this.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

ive never been more depressed about the lions as i am after the last two weeks.

shame on me for thinking they might be turning it around.  and i'll talk myself back into thinking theyre on the right track and that its the injuries, etc etc.

sucks to root for this stupid team.

add zappe to the long list of never weres and has beens who have made the lions (and their forever gullible fans) look stupid.

oh well.  its hockey season now.

pretty close to how I feel.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I expected this to be a 5-7 win team with the potential to win 9 and nothing has really changed. Nothing good happened in this game, but the previous 3 games were lost by a combined 10 points.

What games do you honestly see this team winning at this point? The Bears? Maybe the Dolphins without Tua? The Jets? I think we probably lose to anyone with a top 12-15 offense and QB since it's clear we can't get a stop at this point when needed.

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What games do you honestly see this team winning at this point? The Bears? Maybe the Dolphins without Tua? The Jets? I think we probably lose to anyone with a top 12-15 offense and QB since it's clear we can't get a stop at this point when needed.

Chicago x2, Minnesota, Perhaps Miami without Tua and Hill was apparently in a walking boot, Carolina, Jacksonville, perhaps the Giants come back to earth, possibly the Jets, Green Bay at the end of the season, and maybe a team they aren't expected to beat.

Edited by Motown Bombers

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

they can beat any team on their schedule, its the nfl.

they could also lose to the backups of any team on the schedule, its the lions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Chicago x2, Minnesota, Perhaps Miami without Tua and Hill was apparently in a walking boot, Carolina, Jacksonville, perhaps the Giants come back to earth, possibly the Jets, Green Bay at the end of the season, and maybe a team they aren't expected to beat.

Lol

The Lions were down 4 starters on offense in Chark, Williams, Swift, and Vaitai. Plus ARB was severely limited and they were down to there third string RG.  Those are their best weapons on offense. That said they still gained over 300 yards, but shot themselves in the foot too often.

On defense they are still without Levi, Paschel, Harris, Walker, Okwara, and Jacobs. Plus they had DB's dropping all game. They had about 5-6 guys that were either waiver claims or didn't make the team out of camp on the field for much of the game.

I still think if they get reasonably healthy they are close to a playoff team. They are way to thin right now to absorb so many injuries and compete. Some of that is just dumb luck and some are mistakes by Holmes like Brockers and spending too many draft resources on players with injury histories.

So the got pantsed by Belichick, not the first team that has happened to. They were outgained like 360 to 302, so it wasn't that bad. They need to get healthy before we can bury them this year.