Bogdanovic gets extension

Deleterious

I'm good with it. Elite shooters who don't rely on athleticism in theory should age well.

The number sounds about right. The salary cap has changed a lot over the past 5 years or so. Super max players make around $50 million per now. Max players coming off rookie contracts make close to $40 million per. $20 million per is role player money. A good, very good role player. But not a star. Not even necessarily a starter.

And I wouldn't look too deeply into it. Trader Troy signed both Plumlee and Olynyk to 3 year deals and they were both gone a year after signing. Bogey is an asset to the team but also a trade asset.

• Like 1

I remember hearing that this FA class is pretty weak so the Pistons may feel that its better to use some of that space on Bogey now vs. using it on a potentially inferior player come summer time, they also may feel in 2 years the FA class may look more attractive so his expiring contract may be worth more to a team then instead of during this class. 

Good shit. At worst, they have a real solid vet around the young guys for a few years and. at best, they made him a more tradeable asset to offer more flexibility if they want to add futures and create cap space for a more longer term piece all while Bojan gets some financial security. Win/Win deal.

16 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Probably still pretty difficult to trade him due to his contract.  Contending teams usually do not have $20M laying around they can part with in a deal.  

Yes but I think having him cost controlled for the next two years with the second year being a partial guarantee is a bigger selling point. For this year, the Pistons can take an expiring contract to offset the salary.

I doubt they trade him by this deadline anyway but I think this makes him a more valuable asset should they choose to.

7 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Yes but I think having him cost controlled for the next two years with the second year being a partial guarantee is a bigger selling point. For this year, the Pistons can take an expiring contract to offset the salary.

I doubt they trade him by this deadline anyway but I think this makes him a more valuable asset should they choose to.

Bojan is a very desirable player and doesn't need a bigger selling point.  I imagine Ainge had calls from every contending team in the league when Utah was trying to move him.  It is just insanely difficult for a contending team to come up with matching salary.

Most contenders probably wanted him to hit free agency so they could try to snag him with the MLE.

$20 million is not as difficult to trade for as it initially appears. A lot of teams have contracts that are in the $20 mill range who aren't even a top 3, top 4 player on the team. And most teams, even contenders, have enough smaller contracts to add up and match if they needed to. The MLE is up to around $10 million these days. Plenty of $5-10 million smaller salaries on every payroll. Just have to do 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trades.

Contenders like Boston could do a straight up trade with either Brogdon or Derrick White. Philly could put together Melton, Korkmaz, and Thybulle to match. Milwaukee could package Portis and Allen. Miami could trade Duncan Robinson straight up or package Oladipo, Martin, and Dedmon to match. That's 4 contenders in the East that could trade for Bogey if they really wanted him.

A contending team wants Bogey bad enough, they'd be able to work the salaries. Would be up to Weaver if they sweetened a trade package enough for it to make sense for the Pistons.