Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

On 10/4/2021 at 7:22 AM, oblong said:

I was struck by the high property tax on their IL home.... I thought I had high taxes where I live but I pay about half that and my house is worth more.

Illinois is really bad on property taxes. Only Jersey and NY are worse, IIRC

Help me with something here.   People are making a big deal that Facebook is misleading the public. 

Isn't that what all large companies do?      

Who said Facebook has to be honest or fair or balanced?     They're in it for a buck.     Why is this even a story?   If anybody though they were being up front, then I've got an elevator pass to sell you to your one-story high school.  

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Help me with something here.   People are making a big deal that Facebook is misleading the public. 

Isn't that what all large companies do?      

Who said Facebook has to be honest or fair or balanced?     They're in it for a buck.     Why is this even a story?   If anybody though they were being up front, then I've got an elevator pass to sell you to your one-story high school.  

FB deleted or mark posts they consider false.  Then they feel its ok to spread their own false info.  I think that's why people think this is a big deal. 

1 hour ago, Archie said:

FB deleted or mark posts they consider false.  Then they feel its ok to spread their own false info.  I think that's why people think this is a big deal. 

They are a private company, they can do whatever they want.    I got suspended for a silly drug joke, but that's their call, it's their company. 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They are a private company, they can do whatever they want.    I got suspended for a silly drug joke, but that's their call, it's their company. 

I was just saying why some people are unhappy.  I think FB will be responsible for their own demise  eventually.

10 minutes ago, Archie said:

I was just saying why some people are unhappy.  I think FB will be responsible for their own demise  eventually.

I like how people complain about privacy and being tracked and all that, yet they post on Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, Twitter and bitch when they realize it ain't private.   Read the agreement before you click I Agree, people - it's all righ there. 

If you want privacy, delete all your accounts, all your emails and destroy your cellphones,  DESTROY, not throw away.  

You still won't be that private (if you have a television or a car).     You pretty much have to go full Ted Kaczynski to be private now.  

These companies don't care about you, they never have, they just want money.   Why can't people understand that?  

There are several problems with those sites.  I agree on the privacy issues. If you want privacy then don't share stuff. 

I think the biggest problem with mainly FB and Twitter is that they are so big and reach tons of people.  Because of that they have a big influence on elections.  They decide what they want their members to see and they decide what is real or not and it's not always true. There needs to be some rules or laws around elections and these sites.  TV stations air commercials that contain half truths but they're laws saying they must offer the opposition equal time.  I don't think social media falls under the same guidelines and I would bet they reach more people than TV or its at least close.

27 minutes ago, Archie said:

There are several problems with those sites.  I agree on the privacy issues. If you want privacy then don't share stuff. 

I think the biggest problem with mainly FB and Twitter is that they are so big and reach tons of people.  Because of that they have a big influence on elections.  They decide what they want their members to see and they decide what is real or not and it's not always true. There needs to be some rules or laws around elections and these sites.  TV stations air commercials that contain half truths but they're laws saying they must offer the opposition equal time.  I don't think social media falls under the same guidelines and I would bet they reach more people than TV or its at least close.

the equal time thing only applies to over the air broadcasters because in theory the public owns the airways... but cable and satellite makes that a moot point since that's only one way now to communicate.  It's an archaic rule based on ancient technology.  It's the same with nudity and swearing.  You can say shit and fuck on AMC but not on ABC.  You could show a tit on AMC but not on ABC.  Any censorship on cable is self regulating.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

the equal time thing only applies to over the air broadcasters because in theory the public owns the airways... but cable and satellite makes that a moot point since that's only one way now to communicate.  It's an archaic rule based on ancient technology.  It's the same with nudity and swearing.  You can say shit and fuck on AMC but not on ABC.  You could show a tit on AMC but not on ABC.  Any censorship on cable is self regulating.

except that since there is almost no place in the US that you can have multiple independent IP sources wired to your house, the idea that IP service is fundamentally different from on-air is a distinction without a difference from the public end - it's still a limited shared resources. Not to mention that a huge slice of the IP packets moving today are moving across cellular radio - which by the way goes over those same public airways.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I just learned something...I'm going to have to start watching AMC!

Seriously, they should fall under the same guidelines as TV.  There are too many stupid people that think if FB said it they think it's true. Plus FB is global and its been proven people from other countries are trying to influence our elections through FB.

The Fairness Doctrine requiring broadcast stations to provide equal time to opposing opinion was repealed in 1987. Hence the rise of conservative leaning talk radio (plus the fact that music stinks on the AM band and owners were losing tons of money).

It was also about the time the lifted ownership rules changing the number of stations a radio group could own. 

10 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The Fairness Doctrine requiring broadcast stations to provide equal time to opposing opinion was repealed in 1987. Hence the rise of conservative leaning talk radio (plus the fact that music stinks on the AM band and owners were losing tons of money).

It was also about the time the lifted ownership rules changing the number of stations a radio group could own. 

right. The FD had become untenable for the broadcast media because it was not enforced on cable. The gov had the choice of extending the FCC's mandate to cable (by which logic it also would have applied the net when the time came) or dumping the FD. Given the ideological premises of the Reagan Admin that choice was a foregone conclusion.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I feel like that part of the south park movie where they realize they can swear...... it's about to get really interesting in here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I feel like that part of the south park movie where they realize they can swear...... it's about to get really interesting in here. 

I've been watching that more lately since I am home and it's sure changed from when I would watch like 10 years ago.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:41 AM, oblong said:

My neighborhood facebook page consists mainly of people asking if anyone else is having issues with AT&T U Verse or WOW Cable.

AT&T/Comcast here, and add in a running joke about the need for a fruit market in the area.  

Occasionally, and one of my favorites, is when someone asks for recommendations for home improvement.  Every time someone mentions their company you get someone that complains about them, followed by supporters of the company.  Go to the NextDoor app for more of that fun-ness.

42 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

AT&T/Comcast here, and add in a running joke about the need for a fruit market in the area.  

Occasionally, and one of my favorites, is when someone asks for recommendations for home improvement.  Every time someone mentions their company you get someone that complains about them, followed by supporters of the company.  Go to the NextDoor app for more of that fun-ness.

"Anyone know of a good contractor that's good but cheap?"

I reserve the right to change my mind later and haven't heard anything about this except for the words in that tweet, but in a way I can see it being ok.  I think it is common for journos to send subjects of their writing a manuscript and ask for comment.   Whether "ask for comment" = "additions, changes, tweaks" is definitely debatable.... but I guess I'm saying I can see a path where this isn't as sketchy as it looks.  Is it his way of saying "is this all factually correct?" 

I'm 99% sure Trump is given the opportunity to consume woodwards manuscripts and whatnot and asked for comment before they go out.   I think Michael Wolff said the same him his books too.  So maybe is similar to that but his word usage wasn't ideal?

Or it's sketch AF, obviously totally possible.

Edited by pfife