Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

1 hour ago, pfife said:

weird that you don't mention anything about the positive reaction "let's go brandon" gets which is a lot.   

actually it's not weird.  It doesn't fit your narrative so you disregard.  In other words, doin' the Eswieg

Not sure what you're speaking off?   You mean how after the left went off their rocker about how horrible this was, they co-opted it to tout Biden's infrastructure bill?  If so, yes, the left realized how to take a joke only after they found a way to 'own the right'.  To note, I found it somewhat funny on both sides.

You seem to be presenting a situation where "Let's go Brandon" is condemned.  I don't see that as reality.

But I get it, if Let's Go Brandon isn't condemned, your eswiegism won't work. So now we get to fight about whether or not Let's Go Brandon is condemned so let's get on with it 

Edited by pfife

11 hours ago, pfife said:

You seem to be presenting a situation where "Let's go Brandon" is condemned.  I don't see that as reality.

But I get it, if Let's Go Brandon isn't condemned, your eswiegism won't work. So now we get to fight about whether or not Let's Go Brandon is condemned so let's get on with it 

I'm not going to lie, i'm lost.  It's obvious you threw off your shirt and ready to rumble, but that's about all I can figure out right now.

Did some media and members of the left point to anyone saying "Let's go Brandon" and call them racist, horrible human beings...yes.  Are folks on the right saying it because they think it's a neat way to say Fuck Joe Biden...yes.  Did the woke left/media work to put SouthWest airlines under pressure over a pilot saying "Let's go Brandon", which surprisingly faded away after the supposed audio that was used to prove it had some folks ask if it could have been 'Let's go Braves" and then it was determined that pilot audio was from a flight weeks earlier, before "Lets go Brandon" even started...yes.   When the dems were able to get the Infrastructure bill over the hill, did democrats use the same "Let's go Brandon" to mock republicans....yes.

And finally, did something that you think "Let's go Brandon" represented happen, which I didn't explicitly mention above....probably yes.

So FYI, don't be surprised when Kyle Rittenhouse is found not guilty, at least on the bigger charges.  Heading into the trial and with the video's i've seen before and the news coverage, I kind of had the thought that if those first shots were a toss up on if he was truly scared for his life, it almost didn't matter as he illegally had that gun.   Sort of like a drunk driver that gets hit by someone going through a red light.  Even if he wasn't technically at fault for the accident...he's still drunk.  At least that's the rough idea I had based on the MSM reports of the shooting.  

I'm just not sure how that works with self defense, at least in Wisconsin.  Plus it looks like there is some question on if he was illegally carrying.  Add into it that the first guy he shot was absolutely the aggressor and Rittenhouse attempted to stay and report the shooting, until it was obvious it was too dangerous for him to stay.  The guy he shot in the arm stated he thought Rittenhouse was an active shooter and hence why he was following him, but stated he was scared for Rittenhouse's life, especially when he was attacked with the skateboard and than added that Rittenhouse did not shoot him until he lowered his hands and pointed his gun at Rittenhouse. 

If you're interested in what you shouldn't do if you're a lawyer, go watch the photographer that was on the stand go at it with the prosecutor.  'No more questions' would have been his best friend, but nope, kept going after the witness and kept getting put in his place.  Simply unreal.  

8 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not going to lie, i'm lost.  It's obvious you threw off your shirt and ready to rumble, but that's about all I can figure out right now.

Did some media and members of the left point to anyone saying "Let's go Brandon" and call them racist, horrible human beings...yes.  Are folks on the right saying it because they think it's a neat way to say Fuck Joe Biden...yes.  Did the woke left/media work to put SouthWest airlines under pressure over a pilot saying "Let's go Brandon", which surprisingly faded away after the supposed audio that was used to prove it had some folks ask if it could have been 'Let's go Braves" and then it was determined that pilot audio was from a flight weeks earlier, before "Lets go Brandon" even started...yes.   When the dems were able to get the Infrastructure bill over the hill, did democrats use the same "Let's go Brandon" to mock republicans....yes.

And finally, did something that you think "Let's go Brandon" represented happen, which I didn't explicitly mention above....probably yes.

you literally acted like there was some double standard where "F Biden" is condemned but "F Trump" is celebrated.  That's why I quoted exactly this part of what you said when this line of discussion happened:

[quote]

As such, "Let's go Brandon" blew up a bit on the right.  So, if you say this, you're a horrible douchebag, obviously a racist, and just an overall bad person for saying something so foul on TV.  Conversely, if you "Fuck Trump" at the Tony's, you get a standing ovation[/quote]

All I'm saying is I'm not so certain the "F Biden" is condemned part of the double standard you laid out is true, therefore saying your double standard isn't a double standard, but instead today's eswiegism.

eswiegism:  a horribly strained comparison where all differences are blatantly and conveniently disregarded, used to paint someone on the left as a hypocrite.  common side effect:  arguing about the aspects of the comparison to determine whether they're actually comparable, thus derailing the actual important topic.

Edited by pfife

36 minutes ago, pfife said:

you literally acted like there was some double standard where "F Biden" is condemned but "F Trump" is celebrated.  

Ahh, ok.  And yes, I did say that, because it's true.  One of the many 'ewsiegisms' which I think is better defined as 'trueisms' where people on each side find themselves offended by one and proudly saying the other.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think many people condemned it. I think many on the left were confused and found it juvenile. Many on the left have been running with the Let's go Brandon. Donald Trump would have been absolutely butt hurt by it. 

As I stated from the beginning, this isn't a right or wrong question, there are many different thoughts on this subject which have been shared via social media, media, and politicians.  I think you are correct that many were confused and found it juvenile, and as I stated earlier, that was the case for many on the right when it became socially OK to say 'f Trump' (ironic as how those I would expect to get upset with this vulgar langauge (white old people) are now perfectly fine throwing it out there when it fits them).

But yes, many people condemned it too:

nypost.com/2021/11/01/sorry-media-lets-go-brandon-isnt-a-new-low-in-us-politics/

Harvard professor and CNN commentator Juliette Kayyem posted a missive supposedly from another pilot calling for the Southwest pilot and crew to be fired, on grounds that the pilot must have been too mentally unbalanced to operate the plane.

Asha Rangappa, another CNN commentator and a Yale law professor, compared the pilot’s statement with saying, “Long live ISIS,” as if expressing an anti-Biden sentiment in a jokey way is the same as pledging loyalty to a terror group that would love its acolytes to crash airliners. 

https://thefederalist.com/2021/11/01/hysterical-nbc-journo-calls-secret-service-over-lets-go-brandon-merch/

NBC national security correspondent Ken Dilanian is the latest to suffer a public breakdown over a popular meme airing grievances against President Joe Biden.

On Monday, Dilanian shared on Twitter that he reached out to the U.S. Secret Service about gun dealers printing the phrase “Let’s go Brandon,” a euphemism for “F-ck Joe Biden,” on merchandise, with the labels “F@ck!” “Joe!” and “Biden!” in place of the typical “safe,” “fire,” and “auto” modes.

“They had no comment,” Dilanian wrote, engaged in another conspiracy after serving as a purveyor of fake news for NBC over the Russia hoax.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/11/01/cnn-and-msnbc-commentator-gets-educated-after-saying-lets-go-brandon-is-maga-sieg-heil-1156697/

A lawyer whose Twitter bio indicates that he provides commentary for CNN and MSNBC (two networks still obsessed with ex-President Donald Trump) informed his 71,000-plus social media followers — without evidence — that “‘Let’s go, Brandon’ is the MAGA version of ‘Sieg Heil.'”

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

the federalist though....

and what kind of "evidence" is required to to say Lets Go Brandon is MAGA version of Seig Heil?  It's an opinion.  Agree with it or not.  That's how it works.  You don't need evidence to state an opinion.

Absolutely true, just an added touch to show their bias.

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Ahh, ok.  And yes, I did say that, because it's true.  One of the many 'ewsiegisms' which I think is better defined as 'trueisms' where people on each side find themselves offended by one and proudly saying the other.

it's not at all condemned.   It's celebrated by many.

Pfife: ... some double standard where "F Biden" is condemned but "F Trump" is celebrated.  

ewsieg: ... yes, I did say that, because it's true.  One of the ... 'truisms' where people on each side find themselves offended by one and proudly saying the other.

An 84 comment:

I won't claim innocence on this because I cannot. 

But let me restate that: Prior to the racist/ obstuctionist Tea Party Republicans (or any previous bigoted politicians - from any party), I never stated an F Republicans point of view. I voted Republican as recently as 2004. And prior.

But Trump? Hell yes, F Trump. And THESE Republicans, yes, F Them. They are despicable, racist, ignorant, fascist retrogrades.

But the thing is, for those establishment, ethical, non-racist conservatives, I do NOT have that sentiment. For those willing to work with others for the betterment of this country, I do NOT have that sentiment. For those who have some graciousness and honesty and integrity, I do NOT have that sentiment. For those conservatives who have actual plans/ policies to move this country forward into the future, instead of hanging onto a past that no longer exists or that needs to be transitioned away from in order to introduce the future USA, I do NOT have that sentiment. For those who follow the rule of law rather than trying to subvert the Constitutional Right of any voting age Americans to vote, I do NOT have that sentiment. Any fiscally conservative Republican who is also socially liberal... I do NOT have that sentiment. So... what Percent of the current Republican Party meets this definition?

And for any Republican who is willing to subvert anyone's Constitutional right to vote, is unwilling to stand up to the Jan 6th Insurrection against the Constitution of the United States, is a straight up racist, liar, or unethical, or supports Trump... They can go F themselves.

And F Trump.

And... STILL Biden doesn't deserve an F Biden, nor did Obama deserve an F Obama. But I heard plenty of that during his 8 years. Mostly from my white trash bigoted family. So... you know what? F them too.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, ewsieg said:

So FYI, don't be surprised when Kyle Rittenhouse is found not guilty, at least on the bigger charges.  Heading into the trial and with the video's i've seen before and the news coverage, I kind of had the thought that if those first shots were a toss up on if he was truly scared for his life, it almost didn't matter as he illegally had that gun.   Sort of like a drunk driver that gets hit by someone going through a red light.  Even if he wasn't technically at fault for the accident...he's still drunk.  At least that's the rough idea I had based on the MSM reports of the shooting.  

I'm just not sure how that works with self defense, at least in Wisconsin.  Plus it looks like there is some question on if he was illegally carrying.  Add into it that the first guy he shot was absolutely the aggressor and Rittenhouse attempted to stay and report the shooting, until it was obvious it was too dangerous for him to stay.  The guy he shot in the arm stated he thought Rittenhouse was an active shooter and hence why he was following him, but stated he was scared for Rittenhouse's life, especially when he was attacked with the skateboard and than added that Rittenhouse did not shoot him until he lowered his hands and pointed his gun at Rittenhouse. 

If you're interested in what you shouldn't do if you're a lawyer, go watch the photographer that was on the stand go at it with the prosecutor.  'No more questions' would have been his best friend, but nope, kept going after the witness and kept getting put in his place.  Simply unreal.  

The more I read about this case I don't think he will be convicted on anything.  I don't even think he had the firearm illegally.  You don't have to be 18 to be in possession of a long gun or rifle which he had.  Its the same law that allows kids to go hunting.  A person would need to be 18 or older to possess a hand gun.

2 hours ago, Archie said:

The more I read about this case I don't think he will be convicted on anything.  I don't even think he had the firearm illegally.  You don't have to be 18 to be in possession of a long gun or rifle which he had.  Its the same law that allows kids to go hunting.  A person would need to be 18 or older to possess a hand gun.

The gun charges have been dismissed.  It was not illegal for Rittenhouse to possess a rifle under the age of 18.