Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

30 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The Bluetooth piece was a thing of beauty coming from the same folks who screamed about Hillary Clinton and data security back in 2016.

Almost like they are creating stuff to complain about.

almost....

I'm old enough to remember jared and ivanka using personal email for gov business too, weird that the 2016 infosec people were nowhere to be found.

Edited by pfife

4 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

You don't care for Chuck Todd?  For hosts and panelists who begin every sentence with "Look"?

I wouldn't rank MTP worst, believe it or not.   but damn close lol.   Here's the official pfife power rankings, and these are clearly subject to change pretty soon here....

1) Fox News Sunday

2)CBS Face the Nation

3) CNN State of the Union (especially Dana Bash hosting instead of Tapper)

4) MTP

5) ABC's Stephanopolis show.   

Edited by pfife

6 hours ago, pfife said:

I can't believe anyone reads nytimes columns anymore

IDK, there are two sets of voices in play here. First are the house conservatives like Bret Stephens who the Times generally allows to get by on a lower level of intellectual rigor in the name of 'balance.' Frankly I wouldn't bother. If your editors believe these people are wrong, provide balance by reporting on them, but not carrying them.

OTOH, if the complaint is about their left side writers whose agenda is enlarging the anti-facist coalition then understanding that the left's tendency to eat itself from the inside out is its biggest challenge to successfully meeting the right side threat is worth the ink. You need to pull in the middle in America, and when you present intellectual constructs that the middle cannot make head or tail of you have lost/will lose. Like it or not that is the way it is.  Even if the left continues to believe in its righteousness it needs to find paradigms and rhetorical systems in which to present its ideas that actually attract the majorities - in fact  - supermajorities that are no required to accomplish anything. So I don't find anything wrong with NYT opinion writers sounding the alarm to segments of the left for whom purity to too much a virtue.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, pfife said:

old enough to remember 2 months ago when "very liberal CNN" repeatedly trashed the largest civilian evacuation ever.  No sale on that lie

BS, they did not do that.  They did criticize aspects of it, no doubt.  And as much as you want to believe the narrative that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, there were some legitimate concerns.  I mean, think of that drone strike, pretend Trump was president when that happened, you're opinion of that change even a little?

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

lol 

You're not paying attention if you don't think CNN is a liberal outlet. They're no different than any other media in that they are biased in their reporting.  The current administrations blunders are so bad and obvious that even the liberal media has to report on it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ewsieg said:

BS, they did not do that.  They did criticize aspects of it, no doubt.  And as much as you want to believe the narrative that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, there were some legitimate concerns.  I mean, think of that drone strike, pretend Trump was president when that happened, you're opinion of that change even a little?

no sale, they did exactly what I said.  Thanks for trying to change the topic to some hypothetical that you think is a gotcha for me though.

Edited by pfife