Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

1 hour ago, pfife said:

That used to be universally reviled in this forum.   I'm beginning to see why it existed now.

I remember. Wishful thinking, Pandora's storage place has been opened and can't be reversed. Repealing the Fairness Doctrine was the beginning of the downhill slide of the media. Killed mom and pop stations, just like the big box stores killed mom and pop businesses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pfife said:

mtg and crenshaw at war.   wonder if we'll see "GOP in disarray!" takes this time..... LOL

Well, depends who you ask.  MSM has pointed out the GOP is in disarray since 2016 when Trump won the primary.  FoxNews has pointed at "RINO's" like Romney and McCain trying to mess up the party and since January 6th, point to all the headaches other "RINO's" like Cheney, Romney, Kinzinger, Upton and Meijer are causing the republican party.  

I'd argue the GOP is not in disarray at all, but is squarely behind Trump.  I pray and hope for disarray everyday.

8 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I'd argue the GOP is not in disarray at all, but is squarely behind Trump.  I pray and hope for disarray everyday.

I am registered “Unaffiliated.” I am conservative politically. To your point, I don’t know what November will look like on the GOP side but the midterms will most likely define the party going forward. I’m sure McConnell, like myself, would love to see Trump go away politically. I don’t believe Trump can win at the top of the GOP ticket. He certainly won’t get my vote and he want get a lot of other votes that he got the recent election. He done himself in starting on election night and continuing to this day by his behavior. He is unfit to be president. If Trump is at the top of the 2024 ticket…it won’t be good. I will write in Magnum PI for President and TC for VP.
If I were on the Democrats side of the fence, I would be Trump’s biggest supporter right now. 

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

If I were on the Democrats side of the fence, I would be Trump’s biggest supporter right now. 

The thing with that is we did that in 2016 and it didn't work.   We thought he'd be easy to beat.   I'm long past underestimating him or the Republicans.    

That said, the scoreboard does read:   Trump lost the house, presidency, and senate while he was president.   So the preponderance of the evidence is he's an electoral loser but that side is way more motivated than they've been before and I think more than the dems.  

I've said it before but I think he is both their best and worst chance to win because he drives people to vote on both sides.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

1 hour ago, pfife said:

The thing with that is we did that in 2016 and it didn't work.   We thought he'd be easy to beat.   I'm long past underestimating him or the Republicans.    

Spot on.   Trump will not lose in 2024.  He either actually wins or Biden or another democrat gets more votes, win the EC, and might be considered the legitimate president by 100% of democrats and 50% of republicans, but there will be a large group which will just solidify in their minds that Trump was cheated again and Trump will feed on it. It's a no win situation for democracy if he runs.

I do think a primary will be fun.  Would people like Pence and DeSantis have the guts to challenge him if he enters the race?

Jerry Ford is the last time a former President was in serious talks of running again.  Even in '76 as an unelected POTUS he faced serious challenge from Reagan.  THe GOP was split then.  Is it split now?  No.  

I'd like to see Liz Cheney run, even as third party.  

If Cheney loses her primary, I think it's 100% she runs for president in the GOP with the intention of making as many waves as possible before running as a third party. I also suspect she runs a very focused campaign, not intent on winning, but on taking away GOP votes from Trump, not votes from the Dem nominee.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

So a host on a cable show was advising a politician who was in trouble?   Where have I seen that before.  

this is both a big deal and not surprising.  Also nothing will happen because their viewers won’t hear about it

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

As always, it's bad when it's Chris Cuomo.... but when it's Sean Hannity? Crickets.

They're already trying to play up the "journalist" "first amendment" angle.

Even though Hannity's reporting was the exact opposite of what he said he knew in the texts.... and Fox says their hosts are not journalists.

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

They're already trying to play up the "journalist" "first amendment" angle.

Even though Hannity's reporting was the exact opposite of what he said he knew in the texts.... and Fox says their hosts are not journalists.

Isn't Hannity's whole schtick (presumably to defend the falsehoods he peddles) for the past 10103453802 years been that he isn't a journalist?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ewsieg said:

If Cheney loses her primary, I think it's 100% she runs for president in the GOP with the intention of making as many waves as possible before running as a third party. I also suspect she runs a very focused campaign, not intent on winning, but on taking away GOP votes from Trump, not votes from the Dem nominee.

If I am a Wyoming Democrat or the Wyoming Democratic Party I would 1000% cross over and encourage others to do the same and vote Liz Cheney. 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Isn't Hannity's whole schtick (presumably to defend the falsehoods he peddles) for the past 10103453802 years been that he isn't a journalist?

I'm not a fan of Hannity.  I think he an arrogant blow hard but I can say that he admits he is not a journalist.

The problem with the Hannity situation is not whether he is or is not technically a journalist. The problem is that because he works for an outlet who uses the word "News" in their name, while sitting behind a desk blowing hard about topics in the news with chyrons screaming headlines in news-like fashion, his viewers truly believe he is more legit journalist than everyone at literally every major news organization in America put together.

To the red hats, Hannity has the credibility of being a truth-telling journalist without having to put in that work, despite his employers' assertions, made well out of earshot of his viewers, that he's not.

36 minutes ago, Archie said:

I'm not a fan of Hannity.  I think he an arrogant blow hard but I can say that he admits he is not a journalist.

My recollection (similar to his mentor Rush) is that he tends to claim that he isn't a journalist, but likes to be treated like one whenever he comes under any sort of scrutiny (such as now with these texts)

It will be addressed legally if he doesnt give the committee what they want in terms of questioning him.

I don't know if legally FOx has claimed anything about him in particular but I know they've argued in court that Tucker is not.  So it'd be hard to distinguish between the two.  They can say anything in a press release.  But in front of a judge is what matters.