Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

13 hours ago, oblong said:

this is painful to watch....

you wonder how some people can tie their shoes.

That is painful, hopefully a learning experience for the young reporter.

That said, instead of having 'thee' Jen Psaki use more specific generalizations to batter this reporters question, maybe the person she represents could bring the democratic party to Manchin, who is one of the many people that has concerns about exactly what this reporter asked and is in much more of a power position the 'thee' Jen Psaki's boss.

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Why do I do this?

Because he's a freaking LIAR and I HATE LIARS.

I hate the stream of lies and BS that he spews and I call out liars.

That's why.

But can you understand why, as a moderator, I might be asking you this question… as your post isn’t so much an answer to his post, but more of a personal attack?  And doesn’t actually enhance the conversation?

Can you recognize that?

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, mtutiger said:

Tapper was the last weekday cable show I would watch/listen to regularly.

The latter half of the show with the talking heads panel is just terrible... I really don't care to hear what partisan randos like Nina Turner or Mary Katherine Ham or Scott Jennings think about the world. Doesnt add anything constructive whatsoever.

I will still watch Melber, Hayes, and Maddow on occasion, but I watch only the journalism parts in their intros. Once they throw to  any two of their eight or so pundit staff regulars, I bail.

57 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

But can you understand why, as a moderator, I might be asking you this question… as your post isn’t so much an answer to his post, but more of a personal attack?  And doesn’t actually enhance the conversation?

Can you recognize that?

I would be more comfortable without the vitriolic personal attacks too, the ones without any content.  Leave the low road available for your opponent, don't use it yourself.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Can you recognize that?

I get that.

I recognize that.

I just hate the lying so much.

52 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Does this airhead know the first thing about infrastructure and how long it takes to actually demo and replace a bridge?

It's incredible... how someone can be paid so much and know so little.

Congress did pass an infrastructure bill that includes money for bridges late last year. Build Back Better is a different animal. This young lady wouldn't have even survived a small market TV newsroom in the '70s and '80s

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Does this airhead know the first thing about infrastructure and how long it takes to actually demo and replace a bridge?

It's incredible... how someone can be paid so much and know so little.

Further... they passed it in November. It's wintertime and no construction in PA in November. Won't get started until Spring.

But he knew that. Just another partisan hack full of crap.

45 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Further... they passed it in November. It's wintertime and no construction in PA in November. Won't get started until Spring.

But he knew that. Just another partisan hack full of crap.

Not to mention that it takes a while to build actually do the construction.

Just dumb, I swear they'll put anyone on air these days.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:58 PM, mtutiger said:

Not to mention that it takes a while to build actually do the construction.

Just dumb, I swear they'll put anyone on air these days.

It takes a long time to get ready for a major project before construction begins.  Plans have to developed and approved,  bids go out to firms to build it and materials have to be ordered.  Just getting materials right now could be a major problem.  Unless they were well on their way in the process, the replacement of the PA bridge won't start until mid to late summer.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:55 PM, Archie said:

It takes a long time to get ready for a major project before construction begins.  Plans have to developed and approved,  bids go out to firms to build it and materials have to be ordered.  Just getting materials right now could be a major problem.  Unless they were well on their way in the process, the replacement of the PA bridge won't start until mid to late summer.

Bridges can take years - I-280 over the Maumee being a good example.

But the fastest bridge project I can think of in recent years was the I35W replacement in Minneapolis, where the new bridge opened 58 weeks after the collapse of the old bridge. This was much bigger bridge and over water so PA should be able to beat that for smaller bridge over land if they tried. Then again the PA bridge maybe gets no Federal funding.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge#Replacement_bridge

Edited by gehringer_2

33 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Just take a look at the timeline on the Gordie Howe Bridge

https://www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com/en/project-overview

LOL -yes. If you are going to use concrete towers you sort of commit yourself to a long process because each section has to cure before doing the next. When you've got 700 ft to go up, you get lots of time to kill for everything else.

The economic comparisons are interesting. The Ambassador bridge was built for $23M 1929 dollars, which according to BLS statistics would be $400M today. The Howe bridge will cost $5.7B yet cable stayed construction was chosen because it is less expensive today than a full suspension bridge would be. OTOH, the Howe bridge will be a bigger bridge - 6+ lanes to the Ambassador's 4.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL -yes. If you are going to use concrete towers you sort of commit yourself to a long process because each section has to cure before doing the next. When you've got 700 ft to go up, you get lots of time to kill for everything else.

The economic comparisons are interesting. The Ambassador bridge was built for $23M 1929 dollars, which according to BLS statistics would be $400M today. The Howe bridge will cost $5.7B yet cable stayed construction was chosen because it is less expensive today than a full suspension bridge would be. OTOH, the Howe bridge will be a bigger bridge - 6+ lanes to the Ambassador's 4.

Not to mention at least two years spent on land reclamation (not sure if that's the correct phrase). There was a lot of fill work going on there. Not to mention whatever toxic chemicals were around from tearing down the neighborhood, the refinery, etc. 

(My son spent a lot of time on the sight as the company he worked for was charged  with overseeing the cleanup. Making sure met federal standards)

4 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

This was yesterday, not two years ago. What in 2022 is still locked down?

This is the type of nitpicking that I believe doesn't score points for the left like many of you think it does.  Those opposed to Lockdowns complained that the effects would last for years.  They were not wrong.  (Note - I'm not personally arguing that the Lockdowns were wrong, simply that there were costs from it that continue to last)

I'm in northern Macomb county, Trump country if you will.  Both my kids have assigned seats at lunch and aren't allowed to intermingle.  Will they manage to survive, pretty sure they will, but at this point, there is no reason for it.  

Luckily my kids are in school, Detroit just went back to school after another month of virtual schooling.  I saw that they were getting under 60% attendance.  Flint schools are still virtual, despite the evidence how detrimental that has been for kids.  Is Biden or Whitmer forcing schools to be virtual, no, but it's been the left's overcautious viewpoint and refusal of reviewing new data that certainly isn't doing anything helpful in regards to the situation.  

Studies are coming out showing kids are facing some of the largest depression numbers ever.  Kids aren't handling this well and don't care if about an argument if the GOP should be saying 'restrictions' and 'long term affects from lockdowns' instead of just lockdowns.  The fact that the GOP is the one pointing out is odd to me, but it's a weird political world.

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

... Is Biden or Whitmer forcing schools to be virtual, no, but it's been the left's overcautious viewpoint and refusal of reviewing new data that certainly isn't doing anything helpful in regards to the situation...

The one thing I would argue against, is that this is the only or primary reason.

I believe on the flipside... because of the right's callous disregard for health and safety... that the left is now overcautious in being anywhere near the unvaccinated and that therefore, it is the behavior of those unvaccinated (maybe not 100% from the right, but primarily so...) that is leading to a large portion of that low attendance, and of the left's reluctance to re-engage.

Just my opinion...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

The one thing I would argue against, is that this is the only or primary reason.

I believe on the flipside... because of the right's callous disregard for health and safety... that the left is now overcautious in being anywhere near the unvaccinated and that therefore, it is the behavior of those unvaccinated (maybe not 100% from the right, but primarily so...) that is leading to a large portion of that low attendance, and of the left's reluctance to re-engage.

Just my opinion...

I can understand the unhappiness towards the right in regards to the vaccination and Covid as a whole.  I've been vocal on this site about how much that sucks, but why are you worried about being around unvaccinated people?  You are vaccinated, right?  At this point, a person that is unvaccinated it mostly just a risk to themselves and almost a null risk against vaccinated people.

12 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I can understand the unhappiness towards the right in regards to the vaccination and Covid as a whole.  I've been vocal on this site about how much that sucks, but why are you worried about being around unvaccinated people?  You are vaccinated, right?  At this point, a person that is unvaccinated it mostly just a risk to themselves and almost a null risk against vaccinated people.

I'm not talking about myself personally.

Yes, I'm vaxxed and boosted so I have no worries in public. 

I'm talking about the general population which may not be as fearless person-by-person. Especially parents, as they can often be worry-warts over their kids and over-protective. That just comes naturally. That's why I'm saying it's a component in schools... natural parents' overprotectiveness.