Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm not talking about myself personally.

Yes, I'm vaxxed and boosted so I have no worries in public. 

I'm talking about the general population which may not be as fearless person-by-person. Especially parents, as they can often be worry-warts over their kids and over-protective. That just comes naturally. That's why I'm saying it's a component in schools... natural parents' overprotectiveness.

Again, why?  It's the left that is more overprotective right now, but isn't it the left that follows science as well?  If so, wouldn't they know that in children, the flu is actually worse than Covid?  

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Again, why?  It's the left that is more overprotective right now, but isn't it the left that follows science as well?  If so, wouldn't they know that in children, the flu is actually worse than Covid?  

I cannot resolve that conundrum.

I'm just saying, nervous parents get nervous... doesn't require rhyme or reason. And I'm also saying that anti-vaxxers in schools does give them a reason (in their own minds)... to be unnecessarily overprotective.

I do think it's unnecessary. They are not following the science. But nervous parents being nervous parents, are reacting to the actions of others. I'm not trying to justify it. I just think that's an explanation of behavior.

45 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I cannot resolve that conundrum.

I'm just saying, nervous parents get nervous... doesn't require rhyme or reason. And I'm also saying that anti-vaxxers in schools does give them a reason (in their own minds)... to be unnecessarily overprotective.

I do think it's unnecessary. They are not following the science. But nervous parents being nervous parents, are reacting to the actions of others. I'm not trying to justify it. I just think that's an explanation of behavior.

This probably fits well with the discussion going on over in the actual COVID thread, but I almost think that people just assume that it's big government or teachers driving decisions on masks when the decisions may just reflect the wishes of the majority in communities where rules are put into place. And that's seems to be reflected in polling - Americans are shifting on COVID precautions, but masking is still above water nationally.

Let's see where we're at after Omicron fades.... maybe then we'll get discussions about transitioning from "pandemic" to "endemic"

Yeah are basically at pre omicron levels in our state but at that time we were among the highest in the nation. Still good news. It’s fallen faster than I imagined it would. Numbers came out early today. Wonder if they were so low because of a reporting issue and on Monday it’ll be a bit higher. 

48 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Only 4,905 cases/day in the latest Michigan update. By far the lowest total in some time. 

One caveat - that may not be all counties reporting. For instance Washtenaw Health dept said they had closed until Monday for the 'storm' and they did not post numbers today. Could be someone came in filed something with the State - or maybe not.....

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

One caveat - that may not be all counties reporting. For instance Washtenaw Health dept said they had closed until Monday for the 'storm' and they did not post numbers today. Could be someone came in filed something with the State - or maybe not.....

Didn’t even think about the storm. I’m wondering if that has anything to due with the numbers drop. I guess we will see Monday. 

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't Joe Rogan endorse Bernie Sanders? I also feel like Sanders amplified this endorsement as well. 

Absolutely.  And to draw the line a bit more succinctly:

- Bernie Sanders hated big Pharma.

- Joe Rogan supported Sanders views.

- Big Pharma is now the hero.

- Joe Rogan didn't change his position, so he's a Trump lover and needs to be shut up.

37 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I know most of you are all gung ho on heading into Ukraine and fighting at all costs, but listen to this spin before you agree to it.

The spin is that he's protecting sources and methods and the reporter knows it. 

He's not going to get the "evidence" that he wants because that particular information is still classified.

It's not hard to pick up on this...

And it still says nothing of the sort that we are "heading into Ukraine".

What exactly did you think we should be getting out of this?