Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

3 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Turley always has the worst takes on everything. 

Turley under the misapprehension that it's black letter law and not civil culture that is the ultimate protector for civil rights. Ask any Russian of the Soviet era about the guarantees under the Soviet constitution or any black American who lived through Jim Crow about those in the US Constitution. Not to fault Turley particularly but it's  the typical tunnel vision of lawyers (just like people in any field see the world through that field) to only see the law. With items like Civil rights and civil culture, law is no better than the will of the rulers that it be followed and that is often no will at all. The Canadians have already proved their civility and tolerance by giving the protesters a week to make their point.

47 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

From the same article:

Paul Kolbe, who oversaw collection of Russian intelligence for the C.I.A. for many years, noted recently that “you keep them talking to try to figure out what they really want, to find another way out.”

LOL - no kidding. "International Negotiations For Dummies" page 1. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60383385

With no need for court orders, banks can freeze personal accounts of anyone linked with the protests.

That's the way to deal with these folks.  F' them and all the trouble they have caused.  I hope the US implements something like this so I never have to be inconvenienced by a protest either.  BLM, and Occupy Wall Street protests would have never been so prolonged.  Well, BLM at least, the Occupy folks already lost all of their money anyway to the folks they were protesting, but still it may have had some impact.  That happens, maybe we don't see 1/6 either.  

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Occupy Wallstreet camped in a park, not blocking a major trade route but sweet equivocation 

Ahh yes, protests that are for something I care about - feel free to shut the world down and make everyone take notice!  But if I don't agree with it, criticize them for getting in the way.  Truly the American (and now Canadian) way!

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I wonder if these freedom truckers have the stones to do their stuntin in one of the states where the GOP allows people to run over protesters

Can you tell me which states allow people to run over protesters? 

Edited by ewsieg

6 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Ahh yes, protests that are for something I care about - feel free to shut the world down and make everyone take notice!  But if I don't agree with it, criticize them for getting in the way.  Truly the American (and now Canadian) way!

No, it's that you made a super bad comparison.   Glad to help you see how bad it was.  Camping in a park doesn't equal camping in a international trade lane no matter how badly your equivocation needs it to be.

Edited by pfife

If the truckers camped in a park they'd still be camping.  Until they got cleared out exactly like Occupy Wallstreet did.

So yes, you are literally arguing that they deserve special rights that occupy wallstreet did not have b/c occupy wallstreet was ended by the authorities and you seem to have issue with that happening to the truckers

Edited by pfife

37 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Can you tell me which states allow people to run over protesters? 

Oklahoma and Florida are two examples.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88n95a/florida-anti-rioting-law-will-make-it-much-easier-to-run-over-protesters-with-cars

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/us/oklahoma-law-drivers-protesters/index.html

When did an Occupy Wall Street protest shut the world down? When did it block an international border for a week?

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

As of Monday in Florida, a gathering of three or more people can be labeled a “riot”—and if they’re blocking the road and you feel frightened

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/us/oklahoma-law-drivers-protesters/index.html

When did an Occupy Wall Street protest shut the world down? When did it block an international border for a week?

Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt signed a bill Wednesday granting immunity to drivers who unintentionally injure or kill protesters while attempting to flee

So another words, they can still get arrested and charged, they would just need to prove they felt they were under threat.  Hmm, seems like we have laws on the books already for similar issues, where if you feel threatened you can defend yourself.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

But who is BLM?

Does it even exist as an organization?  Or just random people using that slogan?  I legit don't know.

Very early on when Black Lives Matter was just gaining recognition a couple of years back I visited their official site to educate myself on who they were…call it old fashioned curiosity. It was an eye opener at the time. Initially, and this is in summary, they pretty much opposed western culture and values. They incorporated and projected a cynical view of the black male as the head of household. They were clearly outspoken regarding the family nucleus that is considered traditional in our history. 
They publicly stated their beliefs and objectives, front and center, on their website. There were no gray areas.

Then and now, I was appalled at how many well meaning people flocked to their tent without having one bit of knowledge about who these people were. I take for granted here that everyone should be up to speed on who the three founders were. If not…google it. Recent discoveries surrounding this organization have begun to shed light on what a rotten outfit this was/is. To any thinking person, their credibility is shot. 

Black lives do matter. But these founders were mostly about themselves and the money they could grift from gullible people who had good intentions. They raked it in. 
Some months back I revisited their website and recognized that they had scrubbed many of their controversial viewpoints from their page. There is nothing credible about this organization.